Santa Barbara Inflections I

schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
edited April 27, 2009 in Landscapes
Marc Muench strikes again. The new MW weekend workshop format really worked in my favor this season with the 2.5 day whirlwind tour of Goleta, Santa Barbara, and the Santa Ynez Valley. While we had only a quarter of the time available to us then the last workshop I attended, this trip seemed infinitely more productive.

That conundrum boggles my mind, but maybe having the more condensed version of Marc the Pro lights the fire under your butte and gets you moving. Or maybe Santa Barbara is just where it's at!

I've only had a day to sort and start processing, so more to come later. But while the iron's hot, here goes.

Sunrise at the harbor:

518232995_YAayq-L.jpg

Standing there under the glowing sky, surrounded by walls of blue mountains and shimmering stars, the sea air is intoxicating. I was shamelessly inspired by seastack's great photojournalism of the Pacific NW ferries and waterfront.

518234723_qLLCB-L.jpg

518235719_Zrjwh-L.jpg

As the fishermen pulled forth their dripping wares to the docks, inpatient seafood snobs lined up, shivering in sweaters and hoodies to snag them before they were all gone. I was amazed at how short the supply lasted.

Sea urchins were, apparently, a specialty. They also had octopi and a small shark.

518320287_GzjFA-L.jpg

518242427_eS4sU-L.jpg

518245133_RXECp-L.jpg

The sunrise was beautiful, but elusive. So we turn to other shapes in the light.

518238670_fv4oo-L.jpg

518237471_Zgmys-L.jpg

518239945_pmNyv-L.jpg

The kayaks for rent reminded me of the kayak club I belonged to back in Baltimore. I had joined specifically to explore an abandoned ship in the Inner Harbor, but I don't think I'll find such a vessel in thriving Santa Barbara!

518321147_7NYCn-L.jpg

Dgrinner and MW initiate, Pindy through the little doohickey LCD thing that everyone but me seemed to have :lol3

518321523_WgVhK-L.jpg

Things got a little busy this week so more to come later. :smo

Comments

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    518245133_RXECp-L.jpg
    I already told you this privately, but I just wanna say out loud. I love this shot. clap.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2009
    DavidTO wrote:
    I already told you this privately, but I just wanna say out loud. I love this shot. clap.gif

Thanks, David. With your eye, that means a lot to me!
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2009
    Wonderful series Stephanie, and I have to agree with David on that shot clap.gif

Dan
  • SYMPLSYMPL Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited April 24, 2009
    Nice series of images.
    I like the image mentioned above as well, and the image of the person at the sea wall for its moodiness.
    Well done.
    Gord
    A photograph is usually looked at, seldom looked into. Ansel Adams
    www.symplimages.com
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    518237471_Zgmys-M.jpg

iloveyou.gifiloveyou.gifiloveyou.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2009
    Looks like a nice trip.
  • dkoyanagidkoyanagi Registered Users Posts: 656 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2009
  • PHOTOemptPHOTOempt Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2009
    great series, schmoo. very original takes, as you seem to do. my favourites are those already mentioned - the feet and super clear reflection, and the person gazing out to sea. is that you, having sprinted for the self timer? you don't look a bit out of breath!! cheers, sarah
    Sarah A Wager, MB BS

+39 075 878 0642 or on the web at
    www.photoempt.com
    photoempt.smugmug.com
    www.rjslade.com
    and if you are interested in our italian cooking school here in Monte Castello di Vibio check out www.umbriacucina.com
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited April 26, 2009
    iloveyou.gifiloveyou.gifiloveyou.gif
    518237471_Zgmys-M.jpg

15524779-Ti.gif

Thats a great view!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • NachoNacho Registered Users Posts: 212 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2009
    Schmoo:

I love the vernacular feel of these images, even if they are not what traditionalists would call vernacular. The light is great, and the sea urchins reminded me of my time growing up by the beach and stepping on those! In fact, I remember our technique for getting them out of our feet: melting surfboard wax ("sex wax" it was called), pouring it on the sole of the foot right over the sea urchin spines, and then pulling it off once it was affixed enough to those. ! Ouch, always more painful than stepping on them in the first place.

Great shots!

Best,

N
    Exposure Latitude(s).com
    "The temple bell stops but the sound keeps coming out of the flowers." -- Basho
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2009
    Thanks so much, folks! I just finished going through my SB shots, finally. What a beautiful place and it's just hard to make it not look pretty. Couple that with Marc's ability to get good light and great weather anywhere, and you have a win-win situation. thumb.gif
    PHOTOempt wrote:
    great series, schmoo. very original takes, as you seem to do. my favourites are those already mentioned - the feet and super clear reflection, and the person gazing out to sea. is that you, having sprinted for the self timer? you don't look a bit out of breath!! cheers, sarah

Hi Sarah it's great to see that you'll be continuing on the Muench Workshops journey! I wish I could shoot with you on another one this year but I'm not so sure. Did you see this thread? And Emmanuel swore that tree was in no-man's land! That was a shock for me to see that tree again a year later lol3.gif

Thanks for checking in, as always :D