Options

Question on DOF and long exposure night shots

bgarlandbgarland Registered Users Posts: 761 Major grins
edited April 25, 2009 in Technique
I am learning to use my new Canon 50D. Under normal lighting conditions I understand how the DOF is reduced at the low aperture settings. What I am confused about is when you take along exposure night shot at F2.8 how can the foreground subject be in focus as well as the distant stars in the night sky?

I focused this shot on the tree in the foreground and used a 30 sec exposure at F2.8 and ISO setting of 800. I used the f2.8 setting to bring in the most light possible with my 17-55 lens. In normal daylight conditions, I would expect the background to be totally fuzzed. Why do the background stars seem to be in focus under these conditions?

Thanks for any education you can provide to help me get my head around this one. :scratch

511792942_EqTAd-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2009
    They're not in focus, but they're so small in the frame that you can't really tell the difference.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2009
    bgarland wrote:
    I am learning to use my new Canon 50D. Under normal lighting conditions I understand how the DOF is reduced at the low aperture settings. What I am confused about is when you take along exposure night shot at F2.8 how can the foreground subject be in focus as well as the distant stars in the night sky?

I focused this shot on the tree in the foreground and used a 30 sec exposure at F2.8 and ISO setting of 800. I used the f2.8 setting to bring in the most light possible with my 17-55 lens. In normal daylight conditions, I would expect the background to be totally fuzzed. Why do the background stars seem to be in focus under these conditions?

Thanks for any education you can provide to help me get my head around this one. headscratch.gif

511792942_EqTAd-XL.jpg

Actually, since you shot this at 17mm, you get a surprising amount of depth of field at 17mm, even at an aperture of f/2.8.

If you focus at 20 feet, you get everything in focus from roughly 9.4 feet to infinity. So, that's probably what you are seeing here. You can see the calculation for yourself in this DOF calculator.

The length of exposure doesn't change DOF at all.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    bgarlandbgarland Registered Users Posts: 761 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2009
    Great DOF calculator. Thanks for the link. And the learning continues. :D