Options

Union Pacific Steam Engine No. 844

tisuntisun Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
edited April 27, 2009 in Journeys
I am not an avid train fan, but when a steam train came to town, I had to see it. I am partial to train because I ride it everyday for my commute. Union Pacific's last steam engine, No. 844, is making its way around the western US (schedule). It went through the SF bay area a couple days ago.

I wanted to catch it running on the track but there was no exact information on which track as there were multiple tracks from Oakland to Niles Canyon that it could go on. We initially chose the track that Amtrak trains go through, like here:

519926490_EbRjB-L-0.jpg

But that turned out to be the wrong track according to voice communication from a scanner belonging a train enthusiast. We knew this was an issue, so the spot we picked was near the crossroads of the two possible routes. All we had to do was to walk about a mile to the other track. Then, waited...

519024809_wir2D-L-1.jpg

and waited...

519024322_38t7A-L.jpg

Then, it came eventually. I had hoped that it would blow steam as it approached and set up my camera in portrait orientation. But it wasn't to be...

519025039_mbcbo-L.jpg

And still no steam...

519024883_SGpYN-L.jpg

It zipped by us.

519028151_gS3wo-L.jpg

And steam...

519028119_8Ts3U-L.jpg

The magnificent sounds made by a steam engine are so different from those made by a diesel engine. My partner in crime, Ken (in shot #2 above), recorded the sounds of the train approaching and zipping by us. Sweet recording -- I feel like I was there again.

Comments

• Options
    nosmonosmo Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited April 24, 2009
    tisun wrote:
    I am not an avid train fan, but when a steam train came to town, I had to see it. I am partial to train because I ride it everyday for my commute. Union Pacific's last steam engine, No. 844, is making its way around the western US (schedule). It went through the SF bay area a couple days ago.

Then, it came eventually. I had hoped that it would blow steam as it approached and set up my camera in portrait orientation. But it wasn't to be...

519025039_mbcbo-L.jpg
    nice shot, the color treatment really works well for me.
    I thought about heading out to Sunol - then realized the paper I was reading was a couple of days old... 11doh.gif
  • Options
    Analog6Analog6 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited April 24, 2009
    Nice shots, Steve. I especially like the third steam loco shot with the eye contact with the engineman as the train steams away. The best way to get a show of steam is to be along or at the end of a climbing portion of line, even a slight gradient will usually produce steam as it gets the engine working a bit harder than a flat.
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2009
    I'm so glad that you went out and tracked the train down.
    tisun wrote:
    519028151_gS3wo-S.jpg

Love! clap.gifclapclap.gif

And the conductor is looking at you too!
  • Options
    a110p0a110p0 Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2009
    Wow, those are some cool trains. Nice captures.

Alvin
    Alvin
    Fremont, CA
    SmugMug Gallery
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2009
    nosmo wrote:
    nice shot, the color treatment really works well for me.
    I thought about heading out to Sunol - then realized the paper I was reading was a couple of days old... 11doh.gif
    nosno, thanks. I also forgot about the stopover in Oakland. Someone reminded me later that day. It was a good thing it wasn't too late for the departure.
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2009
    a110p0 wrote:
    Wow, those are some cool trains. Nice captures.

Alvin
    Thanks, Alvin. By the way, I thought of you when I saw the old train station in Niles. It's propped up on stilts for renovation and may make an interesting light painting shot.
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2009
    Analog6 wrote:
    Nice shots, Steve. I especially like the third steam loco shot with the eye contact with the engineman as the train steams away. The best way to get a show of steam is to be along or at the end of a climbing portion of line, even a slight gradient will usually produce steam as it gets the engine working a bit harder than a flat.
    Analog6, it now makes sense. In the last shot in which the train blew steam, the train began going uphill into the tunnel. No wonder there were many people standing there. I didn't want to go there because I didn't want to get in their way. In hindsight, I should have walked past those people.
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2009
    aktse wrote:
    I'm so glad that you went out and tracked the train down.

Love! clap.gifclapclap.gif

And the conductor is looking at you too!
    April, thank you.