Canon 50mm f/1.4 II Coming Out?

Photo JoePhoto Joe Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
edited May 5, 2009 in Cameras
So I've been looking at picking up a 50mm, and have pretty much settled on Canon's 1.4 version, but while reading some reviews I've noticed that its pretty soft wide open, was originally released back in 1993. So my question is, does anyone know of an 1.4 II version in the works? I've been told Canon is working on a 100-400 II lens, but I personally haven't heard anything on a 50mm 1.4 II.

What do you guys think? If one is on the way then I'll definitely wait, since I'm not in a huge hurry to get my hands on one.
Equipment:
Canon - 40D, 24-105mm f/4 L
Sigma - 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 150mm f/2.8 Macro, 50mm f/1.4
Other - Canon Speedlite 430EX II

Comments

• ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2009
    No one knows, but I doubt there will be a II version any time soon. I don't see a reason to make one, tbh.

It's an awesome lens, and currently my favorite. It's sharp throughout the whole range (sharper around f4 as opposed to f1.4, but that's normal).
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,081 moderator
    edited April 24, 2009
    I thought for sure as soon as I bought mine they would come out with a model II but it did not happen. ne_nau.gif

It is indeed a very nice lens and would still be a very nice lens if Canon were to introduce a new version. The new version would be more expensive to be sure.

If you need the lens, get the lens. It's that good.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2009
    I've been stalking this one for a while, but I note it's currently out of stock most places, the refurbs are no longer available at Adorama, and I'm not seeing too many of them used either... Of course, it may just be a temporary backorder situation, but fwiw...
  • ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2009
    i love my 50 1.4. Was the first thing I bought after i got a rebel XT and still love it on the 50D. I don't find myself using it much anymore though. more special use lens for me for when I want aperture larger then 2.8.

Of course it always seems to impress me when I do pull it out though.
  • Photo JoePhoto Joe Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited April 24, 2009
    Interesting point, I didn't notice that before. I guess I'll have to keep an eye on them and see what happens. The lens has been out for over 15 years, so I didn't know if a newer version would be coming or not. Seems like it might be due, but I guess its hard to improve on a model thats already got a solid design, and produces great results.
    Equipment:
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2009
    Canon leaks info about upcoming bodies but not really about lenses, so rumors of new lenses are just that, rumors. I've also not seen any place predict the last few new lenses either.

I personally would not expect a new 50mm f1.4 lens, just my personal feeling that's all seeing as they just released the 50mm f1.2L and seeing as the 50mm f1.4 seems to be selling well.

Most fast 50mm primes are soft wide open, especially corners so that's pretty much the nature of the beast, so I wouln't discourage that from getting the lens. If you use that focal length, it's a nice lens IMO.
    edited April 29, 2009
    Curse my second guessing nature, I had dismissed the sigma 50mm f/1.4 due to the extra cost. But after reading a few reviews, it seems that the general opinion is that the sigma is quite superior to the canon in build and IQ, not to mention it comes with a hood and case....

Picking out lenses always seems to turn into at least a month long chore rolleyes1.gif
    Equipment:
  • studio1972studio1972 Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2009
    I took this image with the 50mm 1.4 wide open. It is quite soft, although most of this is due to the very shallow DoF. It's in focus on parts of the right eye and the end of his nose. I love using this lens, but you have to be very careful, servo focus comes in handy when you are photographing a 1 year old!
    edited April 30, 2009
    studio1972 wrote:
    I love using this lens, but you have to be very careful, servo focus comes in handy when you are photographing a 1 year old!

haha, I can imagine! I'm thinking I'll be going with the siggy 50mm version now, reviews tend to agree that its a bit sharper, and of course build quality is way better than canon's 1.4.
    Equipment:
  • PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2009
    Don't give up on the Canon 1.4. it can be a real performer from 2.8 and up. This is f/4:

275309094_7QJ8h-M.jpg

this is f/3.5:

428531961_GgjY4-M.jpg
    edited May 2, 2009
    Very nice photos, and I have no doubt that the canon 50 1.4 is a consistent reliable lens, but what's the point of a 1.4 prime if you have to stop it down to 2 or 2.8 to achieve quality IQ? From the tests I've seen, there's no doubt that the sigma has an advantage over the canon, but when stopped down they are both very close to each other.

Here's a few of the reviews I've read, all seem to say the same thing. Both lenses are great, but the sigma seems to have a slight advantage, and of course is more expensive.

SLR Gear Review:
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 50mm f/1.4

Photozone:
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 50mm f/1.4

Dpreview:
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 50mm f/1.4
    Equipment:
  • whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2009
    Joe - I think regardless of Sigma or Canon, you need the lens.

I agree, my Canon 50mm/1.4 works best around f/4 - but I've been happy with larger aperatures as well.

f/2.5
    99862382_KdeHr-M.jpg

f/1.8
    122201512_HsSWL-M.jpg
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
    edited May 2, 2009
    Very nice shots, I can't wait to play with a 50mm! wings.gif
    Equipment:
  • whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2009
    It just might very quickly become your favorite lens!!

So what are you waiting for.....you know you want one. mwink.gif
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
    edited May 3, 2009
    f/1.4. No slouch.

122825938_maMCw-L-1.jpg
    edited May 3, 2009
    Just remember, most of the softness at 1.4 is due to the DoF. You will not see the "lack of sharpness" of the lens at the resolutions you see on the web, only when looking at the image blown up.
    edited May 3, 2009
    studio1972 wrote:
    Just remember, most of the softness at 1.4 is due to the DoF. You will not see the "lack of sharpness" of the lens at the resolutions you see on the web, only when looking at the image blown up.

By the same token, looking at a web shot at f/1.4 should give you a certain reality check, however, as to the usefulness of an aperture. It's not the resolution of a print, of course, but it should tell you something.
    edited May 3, 2009
    Pindy wrote:
    By the same token, looking at a web shot at f/1.4 should give you a certain reality check, however, as to the usefulness of an aperture. It's not the resolution of a print, of course, but it should tell you something.

That's true, but in my case I sometimes find myself wishing I could afford that 50mm 1.0!
  • gryphonslair99gryphonslair99 Registered Users Posts: 182 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2009
    studio1972 wrote:
    That's true, but in my case I sometimes find myself wishing I could afford that 50mm 1.0!

Trust me, you don't. I have shot the 1.0. It is soft, as in baby bottom soft, until 2.0. The 1.2 is a much nicer lens than the old 1.0.
  • SiriusPhotogSiriusPhotog Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited May 4, 2009
    PhotoJoe - If you want to know if Canon plans to update the 50mm 1.4 just go out and buy the current version, wait a couple weeks and Canon will release the new one. That's what seems to work for me.
    Canon released the 16-35mm II about a month after I bought the Ver. I and they released the 85mm 1.2 II about two weeks after I bought Ver. I.
    just my luck.......
    edited May 5, 2009
    PhotoJoe - If you want to know if Canon plans to update the 50mm 1.4 just go out and buy the current version, wait a couple weeks and Canon will release the new one. That's what seems to work for me.
    Canon released the 16-35mm II about a month after I bought the Ver. I and they released the 85mm 1.2 II about two weeks after I bought Ver. I.
    just my luck.......

Youch, that's terrible luck. I don't suppose Canon would offer any sort of monetary compensation / trade in deal? I know Apple will do that if you buy a computer and within a month a new model rolls out.
    Equipment:
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,081 moderator
    edited May 5, 2009
    Photo Joe wrote:
    Youch, that's terrible luck. I don't suppose Canon would offer any sort of monetary compensation / trade in deal? I know Apple will do that if you buy a computer and within a month a new model rolls out.

I've never seen a camera manufacturer offer any kind of "trade-up" incentive for recent purchasers.

Generally you will know when a camera maker is about to offer a new model of anything when they either:

Start discounting the current price of the current offering (Lens, camera, whatever ...)
    Offer substantial rebates.

Either of these is preferable to the trade-up incentives in that you get your savings up front. Manufacturers do this to both clear out inventories of older models and to make the newer models more of an upgrade price.

Indeed the newer models tend to be considerably more money than the older models, especially during the "honeymoon" introductory period when the product is brand new and there are some purchasers that just have to have the latest and greatest and the inventories are also generally shallow during the introduction making supply low and demand high (if the marketing department has done their job).

I bought my Canon 40D about 1 year after its introduction and after the second round of price reductions. I figured something new was in the mix and it wasn't long after that the 50D was announced.

Do I feel slighted? Not in the least. I knew what I was getting and I knew that any major manufacturing issues were already worked out and that I would be getting a solid and mature product. I am very happy with the performance of the 40D and the 50D didn't offer enough of the features that mattered to me so I think it was a good decision, even in hindsight.

The EF 50mm, f1.4 USM is also a very mature product with known properties and qualities. If you need those things now it is a very reasonable cost, and it would remain a very good value even if a newer, better version were announced. I bought my copy a couple of years ago and I am very happy with it in the situations when I need it.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited May 5, 2009
    edited May 5, 2009
    And this is his left eye at 100% zoom with no processing (apart from the automatic RAW sharpening). Maybe it will help people wondering if the lens is too soft at 1.4?