Options

A Magnificent P-51 And An Impostor

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
edited April 25, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
First....the impostor. This is a fine aircraft in its own right, but it is not what it appears to be. This is a 3/4 scale P-51 made by the Titan Aircraft Co. It is powered by a Suzuki 2.7 litre V-6 engine of approximately 180 H.P.

520107953_uGszg-XL.jpg

520107909_ZQFBa-XL.jpg

Here is the real thing. This aircraft belongs to my friend, Dave Marco, and is regarded as one of the finest P-51's to be flying. I can tell you that it gererates the most visceral experience I've ever had in an airplane.

520107993_dkBtY-XL.jpg

520107980_6GtTN-XL.jpg

520107898_cCxnA-XL-.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2009
    The P-51 is my all time favorite plane.....Nice set Tomthumb.gif azzaro
  • Options
    PremiumMaltPremiumMalt Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited April 25, 2009
    How do you see the runway when landing that plane? Seems like you pov is at the sky lol
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2009
    Hi Azzaro,

I'm with you....the P-51 is also my favorite. I was just down at the huge Sun" N " Fun fly-in and airshow held in Lakeland, FL. The bad economy is even affecting the airplane crowd. The number of warbirds that showed was way off ....compared to years gone by. There were 3 P-51's, a P-40, 3 F-3 Wildcats ( having one of those show up is unique, having 3 show up is unbelievable ), a P-39 and a freshly restored B-24. There may have been some others that came in on days I wasn't there but, all in all, attendance was way off.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2009
    Hey PremiumMalt,

These planes, and other "taildragger " types like them, were indeed tricky to taxi on the ground. The pilots had to follow a " weaving " or " S " taxi pattern so they could see ahead as to where they were going.

Tom
  • Options
    Travism82Travism82 Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited April 25, 2009
    I've been to the Reno Air Races, which are really neat. They actually race around a racetrack. It's quite the site to see six of them taxing from side to side single file!
    Equipment: Canon 40D and Powershot SD750. Lenses: 18-55mm, 28-135mm and 70-300mm.

Smugmug Account: http://travism.smugmug.com