E-620 Arrived!

swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
edited April 27, 2009 in Cameras
I just opened my new E-620. It is FABULOUS! Sadly the battery was not charged and I was only able to play with it for about 10 minutes before I needed to stick it on the charger. My initial impression of it for those 10 minutes is that it is very responsive, improved AF performance from my E-510, a slightly quieter and faster shutter sound, and quite comfortable to hold. I was worried it would be too small. While the grip does feel smaller than the E-510, it is surprisingly comfortable and natural to hold. Fits like a glove.
So, while it is charging I took some photos of it next to my E-510, with a bunch of different lenses, and holding it in my hand (some requested this). Anyway - I know these are not as exciting as actual photos with it, those will follow in the next day or two.

E-620 with 14-54mm 2.8-3.5 lens
520158415_PADte-M.jpg

520153791_DpjcQ-M.jpg

520154285_qTWZh-M.jpg

E-620 with 50-200mm 2.8-3.5 lens
520154966_fePje-M.jpg

E-620 with 50-200mm 2.8-3.5 lens
520155550_FnZ6S-M.jpg

E-620 with 35mm Macro 3.5 lens
520156098_WabCa-M.jpg

E-620 with 35mm Macro 3.5 lens
520156742_cZN9j-M.jpg

E-620 with 10-20mm 4.0-5.6 Sigma lens
520157375_QZH6C-M.jpg

E-620 with 10-20mm 4.0-5.6 Sigma lens
520157971_U4Pkz-M.jpg

520152431_vrkGS-M.jpg

520158621_EWsGG-M.jpg

E-510 body next to E-620 body
520152752_EYdu5-M.jpg

520152965_UXffV-M.jpg

520153219_bRTLz-M.jpg

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited April 24, 2009
    Congratulations! thumb.gifclap
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2009
    Vewwwwry nicely done (in my best elmer fudd voice :D).....looks good.....how about telling us what lenses we are looking atne_nau.gif..........Okay....I read a review on one of the 4/3 forums decribing the 620 as a slightly better improved 420 rather than an improved 520......
    Whadda ya think? I don't know them other peeoples and trust your opin more:D.

I is feeling Oly a litle more now.....just hope if I don't like I will be able to resell without losing my keeeeeesterrolleyes1.gifrofl
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited April 27, 2009
    OK Jonathan, I know you're probably too excited with the new camera to type on a keyboard, but how is the E620 to shoot with?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2009
    I tried one out on Saturday and you are very lucky to have that camera.

The viewfinder is alot better than the E-420, IS works!, the swivle screen is lots of fun like the E-3/30, those 2 verticle AF points will be great (I always wished for them) and the AF seemed pretty fast......

I can tell why he hasn't posted again that camera must be a joy to have its amazing.

My little rant........the grip doesn't fit my hands ergonimcally, Olympus makes my perfect camera the E-420 then a bunch of others I can't use haha, but I could grip the 620 in a way that works its just a little akward. I hope I can adjust or they really upgrade the 420 body since I have a whole set of lenses now for Oly.
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2009
    Sorry for not responding faster everyone. I was playing with my new toy and not checking dgrin... but here are some responses to your posts:
    Art Scott wrote:
    Vewwwwry nicely done (in my best elmer fudd voice :D).....looks good.....how about telling us what lenses we are looking atne_nau.gif..........Okay....I read a review on one of the 4/3 forums decribing the 620 as a slightly better improved 420 rather than an improved 520......
    Whadda ya think? I don't know them other peeoples and trust your opin more:D.

I is feeling Oly a litle more now.....just hope if I don't like I will be able to resell without losing my keeeeeesterrolleyes1.gifrofl

Art, I have gone through and added info on which lenses are in each image above.
    TO respond to your thought regarding the E-620 as it relates to the E-420: The size of the E-620 width-wise is somewhere in-between the E-420 and E-520. In all other respects it is more feature-packed and capable than either the E-420 or E-520. It can do more frames per second, more MP, has a brand new in-body IS system (the E-420 does not have IS), improved flip-out LCD screen, brighter and larger viewfinder, optional battery grip attachment, improved AF system, new art filters, etc. So, in many respects the E-620 is an improvement over both cameras and combines the benefits of both. It is a very compact, feature-loaded DSLR (in my opinion the most feature-loaded, capable DSLR ever built that costs less than $1000).
    So, the E-620 is similar to the E-420 in that it is compact, uses the more compact battery, and has a grip that feels somewhat similar (though the E-620 is a much nicer grip in my opinion). Otherwise, it is an entirely new animal. It is frankly more similar to the E-30 than either the E-420 or the E-520 in my opinion. It shares most of the features of the E-30 (including the sensor and processor), while having a body size that is closer to the E-420 and E-520.
    Art, The E-620 will be much smaller than what you are use to with your 7D. The E-30 will be more similar in size to the 7D. For me, I have come to love the compact size. But that is entirely personal preference. After a long wedding day I am often grateful I haven't been lugging a camera as large as the 1DSMkIII around (my neck and back are often grateful as well). So, if you are worried about the compact size, than the E-30 may be the right choice. Olympus just reduced its price to around $1050.

ziggy53 wrote:
    OK Jonathan, I know you're probably too excited with the new camera to type on a keyboard, but how is the E620 to shoot with?

Ziggy - the E-620 is truly a pleasure to use. I was telling my brother (CSwinton on dgrin) that it feels like driving a Ferrariiloveyou.gif. I have LOVED my E-500's and E-510. But this camera has built on what worked on those cameras and added some really nice improvements. I think the 620 is more responsive in lots of ways. The auto focus is fantastic. The menu system was overhauled a bit so it is taking me a while to get use to it. However, I think the menus are much more intuitive than they were on previous models. I think the camera body is comfortable to hold, though it is comfortable in a different way to the 500 series cameras. The 500 series made your hand just mold perfectly (and still do!). The 620 was designed to ignore your right pinky finger. So those of you that want to feel heft in the camera - the E-30 may be a better choice.
    So, It is a pleasure to use. Once I get use to the new button placements I think using it will be even more seamless. Anyone thinking of buying this great DSLR will be happy with it. I know I am.
    I have also loved using the new wireless flash capabilities. This was a big plus for me. Now I can place flashes off-camera on some light stands and get studio-controlled lighting in a compact, easy to carry package.
    I tried one out on Saturday and you are very lucky to have that camera.

The viewfinder is alot better than the E-420, IS works!, the swivle screen is lots of fun like the E-3/30, those 2 verticle AF points will be great (I always wished for them) and the AF seemed pretty fast......

I can tell why he hasn't posted again that camera must be a joy to have its amazing.

My little rant........the grip doesn't fit my hands ergonimcally, Olympus makes my perfect camera the E-420 then a bunch of others I can't use haha, but I could grip the 620 in a way that works its just a little akward. I hope I can adjust or they really upgrade the 420 body since I have a whole set of lenses now for Oly.

I agree about the viewfinder, though I was never one that felt limited by the viewfinder in the 400 or 500 series cameras. The biggest change I like is that the info display in the viewfinder is now on the bottom instead of on the side. Helps remove the tunnel vision feel some have mentioned in previous generations of Olympus DSLRs. I agree with you on the IS - it works great. Olympus redesigned it for this camera so that is is more compact. They are going to use the IS system in the 620 in their new M4/3 bodies. I would bet they use it in all of them frankly if they can make it more compact. I do not have any real tests yet, but the IS seems to work at least as well as the IS in my 510 and possibly even better.
    I am also very excited about the AF system in it too. The added vertical points will be invaluable for me at weddings. Telling my wife about that improved feature was actually all she needed to support the new purchase. At weddings she sits up in the balcony with a camera while I roam the floor. When shooting vertically it becomes very frustrating if the AF points all sit between the couple. This solves that.
    In regards to its comarison to the 420 grip - I have only used the 420 a few times and its grip was vastly different from the E-510 grip I am use to. The 620 is sort of in-between those two. Works for me, but as you mentioned, may seem too big for the lovers of the 400 series.

So, all in all - if there are any fence-sitters, get off it and buy this little beautythumb.gif
  • silversx80silversx80 Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2009
    Awesome!! I was leaning toward the E-30 just moments ago, and now I'm back to leaning toward the E-620. When it comes time to purchase in July, my head will probably explode.

Maybe Art will jump in with both feet, and in July want to go mainstream mwink.gif, then I can get a slightly discounted Oly body... unlikely. Once you drink the Olympus koolaid, all else seems bland.
    - Joe
    http://silversx80.smugmug.com/
    Olympus E-M5, 12-50mm, 45mm f/1.8
    Some legacy OM lenses and an OM-10