Options

Orlando, FL photographic opportunnities??

El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins
I am looking for local insight into potential options for photographic opportunities in and around the Orlando area (sans Disney).

I will be in Orlando from 1 May through 8 May. I have a full day free on the 6th, and would rent a car to get me outside of the Orlando metro area, if there would be a good venue/location within a reasonable driving distance. Not adverse to a 2-3-4 hr. road trip to get to a good location that would offer phtographic options/opportunities.

Any local intel suggestions/recommendations, etc. would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2009
    Well, what are you looking to photograph?
    If i go to Orlando, it's all about Disney and other parks! :D

Orlando/Kissimmee at night is something you might be interested to picture. I'm not that familiar with the nearby areas as a live 2 hours away.
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    TrasmcTrasmc Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2009
    Usually when I'm in Orlando I'm in Disney as well - unfortunately I can't comment on many non-Disney things to photograph. One thought is there are a number of beautiful hotels on Disney property where you can make some great pictures without having to pay for park entry.

The Boardwalk area has a number of great spots, close to the Swan / Dolphin, Beach Club, Yacht Club, and Boardwalk resorts.
    Learning a little more every day.

Come visit me at...

www.brickstreetphotos.com
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2009
    If you stay through May 11, you can watch the Space Shuttle launch. mwink.gif
  • Options
    deeyadeeya Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2009
    El Gato wrote:
    I am looking for local insight into potential options for photographic opportunities in and around the Orlando area (sans Disney).

I will be in Orlando from 1 May through 8 May. I have a full day free on the 6th, and would rent a car to get me outside of the Orlando metro area, if there would be a good venue/location within a reasonable driving distance. Not adverse to a 2-3-4 hr. road trip to get to a good location that would offer phtographic options/opportunities.

Any local intel suggestions/recommendations, etc. would be greatly appreciated!

I like to go to Gatorland when I'm there... especially during spring when the birds are nesting... you might still catch the young'ns there... If you drive over to Tarpon Springs you can go down to the Greek fishing village... it's definitely different... And I just read one of Scott Kelby's suggestions about trying to do something different while at Disney... see what you can shoot that doesn't look Disney'ish... he's got some great pix.. Check out the posts by HarryB on the different birding areas in central Florida.. there's lots in the general area since you are willing to drive to get to where you are going..
    Denise

http://deeya.smugmug.com
  • Options
    El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2009
    Orlando suggestions - THANKS!!
    Thanks everyone for some great ideas. I appreciate it.

I also plan on taking a day to spend out at Merritt Island. Hope the weather holds and the birds stick around. It looks like the location would be a great place to photograph some local wildlife.

Thanks again everyone for taking time to forward me your recommendations.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Major grins Rockledge, FL on the Space CoastPosts: 0 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2009
    Merritt Island and Viera Wetlands
    Anyone considering coming over to MINWR (Exit 220 off I-95) should also consider the Viera Wetlands (Exit 191 off I-95). Both are "drive-through" locations where you can shoot from the car. The recent rains should have helped the water levels at MINWR, it was quite dry earlier in May.

MINWR will be closing some roads in June (http://flwildlife.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=anounce&action=display&thread=1474&page=1) so check their website. Viera only restricts car access after very heavy rain (still open to walking).
  • Options
    JoolsJools Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited July 7, 2009
    Jim K wrote:
    Anyone considering coming over to MINWR (Exit 220 off I-95) should also consider the Viera Wetlands (Exit 191 off I-95). Both are "drive-through" locations where you can shoot from the car. The recent rains should have helped the water levels at MINWR, it was quite dry earlier in May.

MINWR will be closing some roads in June (http://flwildlife.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=anounce&action=display&thread=1474&page=1) so check their website. Viera only restricts car access after very heavy rain (still open to walking).

Thanks for this info Jim, I'm coming over to Florida in a couple of weeks and staying at Melbourne, I've printed off all the directions and info on the better known places but Viera seems to have escaped my radar so that's another day booked up now thumb.gif