Options

Is the Canon 60D Coming soon?

2»

Comments

• Options
    KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    Baldy wrote:
    Yes, I used to hear grumbling about them from pros but my understanding is most people are happy now.

On its last trip to Canon, they decided it was the lens so my beloved 70-200 is in their hands as we speak.

I was looking back at shots with the 300 and the focus certainly seemed to nail doggie:

329864618_j3CkA-X2.jpg
    My Mk III has now been back twice; most recently this summer pursuant to a "recall" that Canon would never actually refer to as such. I'm not shooting action this summer unfortunately, so haven't really been able to test it out with the new adjustments, but even before that last tweak, I felt I had largely gotten on top of the problem -- and it was definitely a problem -- via AF microadjustments specific to each of my sports lenses, primarily the 70-200 f/2.8 and the 300 f/2.8. If you haven't done that, I highly recommend it, even after you get your 70-200 back from Canon.

FWIW, the last Canon tweak wiped out all of my custom settings including the AF microadjustments. I don't have a lot of patience for the calibration process, but I did go back and do it with one of my lenses, which had previously required an adjustment of about +8 on the Canon scale, and found that no adjustment whatsoever was needed. Encouraging, but the test will come this coming football season.
  • Options
    zack75144zack75144 Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    www.canonrumors.com reports an unveiling of a new body between Aug19th and Sept 1st. It has been well documented on that website that Canon will dump the xxD moniker and call the 50D's replacement the EOS 7D. I should say these are well documented RUMORS, not fact.

I went from 20D to 40D two years ago, and have been waiting patiently for this new body.
    Zack www.zackjonesphotography.net
    EOS 7D, Zeiss 50mm f/1.4, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 200mm f/2.8L II, EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 1.4 Ext II, 430EX, ST-E2, Tamrac Velocity 10X & Expeditioner 7 Bags.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,871 moderator
    edited August 17, 2009
    KED wrote:
    ... the test will come this coming football season.

Football practice has already started in some locations. Might make a good test bed and tune up.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    In my opinion you gain very little in upgrading from the 40D to the 50D if you're not interested in video. I see the 30D and 50D as very incremental upgrades from the 20D and 40D.

DPreview says the ISO performance of the 50D is actually worse than the 40D, which is one reason a lot of people upgrade.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos50d/page31.asp

I'd say just keep waiting or if you really need high ISO get a 5D2 or switch to Nikon. I went from a 40D to a Nikon D700 and it is a whole new world! An expensive world but still...
  • Options
    JustMeAndreJustMeAndre Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    In my opinion you gain very little in upgrading from the 40D to the 50D if you're not interested in video. I see the 30D and 50D as very incremental upgrades from the 20D and 40D.

DPreview says the ISO performance of the 50D is actually worse than the 40D, which is one reason a lot of people upgrade.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos50d/page31.asp

I'd say just keep waiting or if you really need high ISO get a 5D2 or switch to Nikon. I went from a 40D to a Nikon D700 and it is a whole new world! An expensive world but still...

Hi, I am fairly new to DGrin. My wife (before I met her had a 10D, bought it when she had a studio about 4-5 years ago I think. We started shooting horse shows (Hunter Jumper, Dressage, Cross country, Combined test, etc) late last year. We found the 10D was so outdated, and then started shopping around. She is the expert, and after a few weeks, she decided on the 50D. I must say, she made a very good choice. We bought another (including Tamron lenses 2.8) as we both shoot at horse shows. Between the 2 50D's we have shot about 85,000 photos since beginning of this year (5,000 of them pesonal) -Yeah I know.. shutter crazy or whatever you call it. hahaha. (thinking of slowing down now, as it creates so much work, and have to basically upload all the images as is, not professional I think).

She got these 50D's due to the fact that it has higher ISO, and 6fps. At first I thought the noise is too much, as it is when shooting indoors at H2 (12,800 I think).

I recently started testing a few settings, and still busy though, But I have found that if I shoot indoors with minimum lighting, and only go up to H1, Noise reduction STRONG, it improves the quality of the images. I am no expert when it comes to all these settings, can only try, try and learn. Overall I am very happy with the quality of the images.

I am a Photoshop fan, but one day i thought let me try this Digital Photo Professional software that came with the cameras. I found that the noise reduction AND the sharpening tools are much better than PS.

I am a newbie to shooting RAW, and would love to learn more about it. Can't attend classes or anything, but would appreciate if someone could link me to some kind of "Help yourself" online program.
    "No More Lost Memories"
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    For me, the single biggest reason to upgrade from a 20D to a 30D was the increased buffer size. Shooting RAW, the 20D buffer as large enough for, if I remember correctly, 5 images whereas the 30D was something like 8 or 13 or something. A large enough increase to allow me to do what I needed at wedding receptions.

The jump from something like the 30D/40D to a 50D, for me, was justified solely by the AF Microadjustment feature. This feature alone increased my keeper rate by about 15%.
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    I am a newbie to shooting RAW, and would love to learn more about it. Can't attend classes or anything, but would appreciate if someone could link me to some kind of "Help yourself" online program.

Shooting RAW is a lot easier than shooting jpeg. Canon DPP is pretty simple and boiled-down, but very powerful. Just start playing around with it and you'll quickly get up to speed. If you don't like the results of your experiments, you can always just revert the file to the way it was shot. I use DPP primarily, and only go to PS for the major surgery.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited August 19, 2009
    I just bought a 50D, which means the 60D should come out any day now. rolleyes1.gif

:D
  • Options
    NetterNetter Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    I just bought a 50D, which means the 60D should come out any day now. rolleyes1.gif

:D

Same here, just upgraded to the 50D in July.
  • Options
    rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2009
    That would be just my luck! I'm taking receipt of a 5DII from Mr Brown later this afternoon. Isn't that always the way of it though. Actually, with the advent of the 5DII taking so long, I'm betting (hoping) the 7D will be some time in coming - especially if the prices listed on that page have any relationship to reality.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    For those that aren't following the possible 7D elsewhere, it should probably be made clear that it's still a rumour, hasn't been formally announced, may not be formally announced until September and Canon hasn't said a word yet.... That said, engadget is the most mainstream site I've seen touting that screenshot. Maybe it WILL be a real model!

That said, I'll be heartbroken if the next prosumer camera is FF (although low noise similar to the 5d2 would be wonderful) - I love my Tamron 17-50 sooooo much that it would KILL me to have to replace it with a different standard zoom!

Of course, I'm hoping that when I buy another body I can keep the xsi as the backup (and for travelling light - the beauty of shooting the xsi-with-a-grip means I still have a fantastic lightweight dslr when the need arises to jettison some weight), so I suppose I could keep the 17-50, but still. More waiting, i guess. I don't have the money to buy one right now anyway, so it's all moot for a few more months in my case but I'd still like to know what's out there to drool over rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    That would be just my luck! I'm taking receipt of a 5DII from Mr Brown later this afternoon. Isn't that always the way of it though. Actually, with the advent of the 5DII taking so long, I'm betting (hoping) the 7D will be some time in coming - especially if the prices listed on that page have any relationship to reality.

OH MY! You went ahead and took the plunge??? Congrats!
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    OH MY! You went ahead and took the plunge??? Congrats!
    Yup - arrived today. I've charged one battery and taken a few test shots with the Tamron 28-75. Ohhhh is it nice!!! Pixel peeping, I can see that I'll have to dial in my lenses to make me happy. Guess what I'm going to be doing between now and the end of the weekend!

Oh, and I'll post a duck picture in the near future.

Time to go read the owner's manual and figure out all the niceness!
  • Options
    KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Football practice has already started in some locations. Might make a good test bed and tune up.
    You're in the Football Belt! mwink.gif Next week, I think, here in NY/CT. Good thought though, and I might get to squeeze in an alumni lacrosse game tomorrow. clap.gif
  • Options
    ZimtokZimtok Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited August 20, 2009
    I have both the 40D and 50D. The 50D is a recent addition so my "Photo time" with it is limited at this point. I love my 40D and the main reason I got the 50D is I felt I needed a second camera after my 40D had to go into the shop for repair. (It was a long couple weeks without any camera)

(Keep in mind I do not consider myself a professional photographer.)

With my 40D I have the 3 user presets set for diferent basic needs and then adjust them to fit the spacific need I am currently shooting. Sort of a quick reference if you will.

With my 50D I am finding that although I mimicked the presets of my 40D as a starting point and tried to use the 50D like I had the 40D I find myself using the manual settings more often. I look at the photo conditions and guess at what my settings should be and take a test shot. Based on the test shot I then adjust the settings. At this point it takes a couple test shots to get the camera "zeroed" in because I'm still learning the 50D.

In addition I'm also breaking in a new lens (Sigma 70-200 2.8) And this lens used with the 50D in an auto mode tends to be too bright. This may be the reason I tend to go to the manual setting so I can adjust to my liking instead of the cameras choice.

In short I have the 50D now for more then the reason of upgrading, and am happy to have the 50D and the 40D in my hands.
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2009
    Newbie here.....but I just started shooting gymnastics with a 40D, and then recently couldn't pass up a deal on the local Craigslist for a 50D. I'm shooting with the Canon 70-200/2.8 nonIS, and I can definately tell a difference in the quality of the image, especially in the noise at the high ISO's I'm shooting.

I'm very happy that I upgraded to the 50D.
    thumb.gif I'm still waiting for the 60D.:D

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips