An Extremely Rare Daytona Cobra Coupe

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
edited April 28, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
520405048_UAETf-XL.jpg

520405046_FdCC2-XL.jpg

This is a very important piece of Ford racing history. The last one of these to change hands sold at well over $2 million.
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2009
    Hi Tom.....That is a really neat car but I think I would rather have the 2 million.:D Nice set........ azzaro
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2009
    Hi Azzaro,

You, I, and most other folks would take the bucks over the car. But if you have the bucks, this is a great car to have. The sounds this thing made when they fired it up were almost unholy. The most amazing thing about the car was, however, how much the color changed depending on the angle of the sunlight hitting it. Notice how the colors around the Cobra, particularly the Corvette alongside, remain constant but the blue color on the Cobra changed dramatically. I've never seen such a stark difference before.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2009
    Azzaro wrote:
    Hi Tom.....That is a really neat car but I think I would rather have the 2 million.:D Nice set........ azzaro

15524779-Ti.gif Then again whoever buys it undoubtedly has many more millions left over eek7.gif

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2009
    Howdy Tom,

What a stunning Racer, AC Cobra's have been my Dream car for the last 30 years, maybe when I grow up I can get one:D

Neat shots, well done once again!!!
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2009
    I find it neat that the car has a spare tire in it's trunk. I doubt modern race cars carry full size spares :)

I also love the cobras.
  • JChurillJChurill Registered Users Posts: 125 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2009
    :whew
    Blending The Arts!
    edited April 27, 2009
    Hi Toshido,

I wonder if the car actually raced with that spare tire in the trunk....I rather doubt it but it's certainly possible that it did.

Tom
    edited April 27, 2009
    Hi JChurill,

I hear you brother. I pant after that thing myself.

Tom
  • cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2009
    Ive got one of those just sitting in my garage. I should probably sell itheadscratch.gif
  • moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2009
    Great shots of a sweet car!
    I wonder if the car actually raced with that spare tire in the trunk....I rather doubt it but it's certainly possible that it did.
    Yes, it probably would have. FIA regulations covering sports car classes at that time required them to run with a spare tire and a luggage compartment, capable of fitting a rules-specified-sized suitcase. I think it was to retain the notion of these as "road-going sports cars" rather than the full-out race cars that they were becoming.
    edited April 28, 2009
    Hey Moose,

That's an interesting observation you've made about the FIA rules in force about that time... and I don't doubt it's validity. It goes to show you how some regulations can hang around well beyond their valid application because, when the Daytona Coupe was racing, the charade was permanetly over.....that car was nothing short of an all-out, full-bore race car.

Tom