Options

Still Having Problems with Print/Image Sizes

redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
edited April 26, 2009 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I honestly feel silly posting this because it should be easy. But . . . I need help with understanding how to size my images for printing, matting and framing without losing subject matter. This post is aimed at the issue of cropping at print time, but if the real issue is with my composition at shooting time, then please tell me!

I generally upload my images at their original size from the camera (I'm shooting a D80 at Large size, Raw). In some of my photos, I will lose subject matter either with matting/framing or with cropping at print time, or both. I have ordered a number of photos and they look great . . . until I start thinking about mats and frames.

I tried resizing (via cropping) some images to 8x10 and then uploading, but that didn't help--I still get the "needs cropping" message when I try to buy an 8x10. If I try the No crop option on that image, I still get left with white borders on 2 sides. It seems to me that I then either have to cover the white borders with a standard mat or cut them off and get a custom mat (assuming I won't lose so much with a mat/frame that I can't use the image at all). I don't think a floating frame would work in this case because the space dimensions would be different after I cut the white borders off.

Here's an example from one of my galleries. This one was uploaded at original size. :http://www.redleashphoto.com/gallery/4648842_Nv85z#494817924_DTmfL

As it is now, I lose part of the subject (iris) at any size I select. Does that mean I need to change how I shoot? There must be a way to print this image at a common size w/o cutting off the flowers. This would not be a good one for matting, but it would work in a floating frame.

I want to make this easy for customers. I don't mind them having to choose the crop they want when they go through checkout, but I don't want them to have to worry about losing subject matter in the process.

I'm grateful for any help!!! Feel free to post here for others to see, or to PM me. I got a bit of help in another thread a few weeks ago and that enabled me to resolve one problem with one photo, but I need to get a handle on this once and for all.

Many Thanks!!
Lauren
"But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
www.redleashphoto.com

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2009
    redleash wrote:
    Here's an example from one of my galleries. This one was uploaded at original size. :http://www.redleashphoto.com/gallery/4648842_Nv85z#494817924_DTmfL[/url
    headscratch.gif really? You didn't crop this?

20090425-1pu9aqhc7ymxip3i7i2p26icuw.jpg
  • Options
    BeachsidePaulBeachsidePaul Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited April 25, 2009
    Lauren, my partner and I have gone round and round on this issue/problem. if you go to our web site (still in customization stage and not really open yet) you'll see we have decided to add borders to all our photos. We each took a different approach, I add borders (change "canvas size" not image size) to center my photos on a standard 1.5/1 aspect ration (standard for DSLR) and my partner adds 1 inch on all sides. We also provide an explanation about cropping on our buy screen. Basically what this does is allow most of our photos to be cropped where only the border is lost or, in my case, removes the need for crop on all my images. You can see our explanation by selecting buy and then click on "About Photo Sizes" ... anyway, I just wanted you to know you are not alone in the "how the hell do I set up my photo's size issue" Laughing.gif ... Good luck and I'm sure you'll work it out with the help of the wizards here at SmugMug! Later, Paul
    Light Dynamics Photography

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. " ... Ansel Adams
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2009
    Andy - A big OOPS! Yes, I did crop the one in the example. I uploaded the original size and it looks like it would work OK at multiple sizes, so maybe it's not the best example. I'll check others and post any better example.

Right now, I can't get "Buy" to work on any photo--it gets stuck on "Loading"!! ne_nau.gif

Paul - Many thanks for the encouragement--I am glad to know I am not the only one because I haven't found other threads on this topic so I was thinking "maybe it's just me." I appreciate your offer to look at your site for tips--I'll do that now. I have also thought of adding borders but haven't tried it yet. Does your formula for border width allow you to end up with standard sizes after you cut off the white? I really want to end up with standard print sizes so there is no need to custom order mats/frames--unless the particular circumstance calls for that. What is your workflow for adding the border? Smart objects?

Thanks,
    Lauren

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2009
    Andy -

Here is a better example: http://redleash.smugmug.com/gallery/4652403_mCMca#489808963_ygtoB

At several sizes, the crop causes a loss of subject at the sides. If I choose "No Crop", do I end up with an odd size after I remove the white borders from the prints? Or is it printed at a size that results in the requested print size AFTER I remove the borders? Maybe that's the more basic question.

Thanks,
    Lauren

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    BeachsidePaulBeachsidePaul Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited April 26, 2009
    Lauren, there is virtually no way to accommodate all the sizes available without cropping or leaving a white border on the print if you are not going to get the print custom matted. We took the white border approach because it leaves room for our signature if the customer want's it. Your camera shoots at a 1.5/1 aspect ratio which means it fits in some of the standard print sizes with no border, but not all, and that only applies if you don't crop the picture in your post processing. There simply is no way around it, your picture will never fit all the available sizes. Sorry I couldn't be more help, Paul
    Light Dynamics Photography

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. " ... Ansel Adams
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2009
    Paul--You have helped a lot, and I thank you! I'm sending you a PM also.

Lauren

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,275 moderator
    edited April 26, 2009
    Keep in mind that you aren't required to sell all of the available sizes. If you mark a size as zero dollars that size will not be offered for sale.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2009
    Thanks, Denise. I am aware of that, but I do need to go through all my shots and check their sizes.

I appreciate the reminder.

Lauren

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com