High Sierras- images from workshop 2008

PHOTOemptPHOTOempt Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
edited May 3, 2009 in Landscapes
Here are some images to browse- the first 4 pre-workshop, having flown to los angeles from italy, i took a couple of days to acclimatise, with a drive to mary lake for sunset and sunrise, and a quick run up to the bristlecone pinecone forest.

resting, with a 9 hour jet lag had been the intent, but that was somehow forgotten in the equation!
btw, please feel free to comment!
mary lake sunset:
520514077_eNiAK-L.jpg

mary lake sunrise:
520514196_J8NGR-L.jpg

crawley lake at sunset:
520513604_i9Dhm-X1.jpg

bristlecone pine forest late afternoon:
520514314_uM8ET-L.jpg

These next images were taken during the workshop: extreme sierras
as usual (second of now 3 muench workshops) this was a fabulous experience. great company and instruction in a wonderful setting, completely new and awe-inspiring for me. also my first out door camping experience, but let's not dwell too heavily on that.... hope you like the photos!
muench star waiting for us along the trail:
520513429_4P6oW-L.jpg

waterfall somewhere!:
520514685_r74wi-X2.jpg

reflections at sunrise on emerald lake
520514477_k4stC-L.jpg

star trails at dingleberry
520514398_HEVsC-L.jpg

tree roots and heuchera in rockface
520514571_azEYM-L.jpg

sunset at dingleberry lake
520514829_ufZyk-L.jpg

sunset at dingleberry lake
520514764_4Uhdk-L.jpg
Sarah A Wager, MB BS

+39 075 878 0642 or on the web at
www.photoempt.com
photoempt.smugmug.com
www.rjslade.com
and if you are interested in our italian cooking school here in Monte Castello di Vibio check out www.umbriacucina.com

Comments

• Fred WFred W Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2009
    Great set of pics Sarah !!!! #2 is my favorite and looks postcard perfect.thumb.gifthumb.gif
    You are a real GP !!!!! :D:D
  • Michael AtkinsMichael Atkins Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2009
    Some really great pictures here... I especially like the star trails but the last one is by far my favorite. The reflection is breathtaking! thumb.gifthumb.gif
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited April 26, 2009
    Beautiful selection of images! Pretty impressive that you came all the way from Italy to attend the workshop. And even your first camping experience as well. Quite the adventure I would say. thumb.gifthumb

Cheers,
    -joel
  • PHOTOemptPHOTOempt Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    Beautiful selection of images! Pretty impressive that you came all the way from Italy to attend the workshop. And even your first camping experience as well. Quite the adventure I would say. thumb.gifthumb

Cheers,
    -joel

thank you all for your comments. hi fred - nice to hear from you. yes, it was a great workshop, the camping was 'interesting'! there are also some photos in a hidden gallery, for those interested -just the G9 candids - at http://photoempt.smugmug.com/gallery/7986278_XGpxk#519107599_M5AyR
    with pass word lasttobus -fred will recall the significance of that, as i always was, unless i was in a field with a bull, then i could sprint pretty fast (isle of mull)! the accommodation on catalina was at the other end of the spectrum, very luxurious, and it was another wonderful workshop,
    there is another hidden gallery for that workshop at http://photoempt.smugmug.com/gallery/7913516_2wbak#513310936_uX8vL
    same password lasttobus, as i still was, except for the bison moment, which had the same effect as the bull! wondering what i'll find in utah to make me jump fast! as you will gather, i love these workshops, and definitely find it worth travelling half way round the world for them. utah will be the fourth. (small commercial for muench workshops - no charge..;-)))
    ciao - sarah
    Sarah A Wager, MB BS

www.photoempt.com
    photoempt.smugmug.com
    www.rjslade.com
    and if you are interested in our italian cooking school here in Monte Castello di Vibio check out www.umbriacucina.com
  • Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2009
    PHOTOempt wrote:

mary lake sunrise:
    520514196_J8NGR-S.jpg

crawley lake at sunset:

waterfall somewhere!:
    520514685_r74wi-S.jpg

reflections at sunrise on emerald lake
    520514477_k4stC-S.jpg

I see Sarah in these three imageswings.gif

Really like the vertical waterfall with the focus out top and bottom. This is great to see that you took your time to work these images. When I can I take months to really get back into my work from a trip, thus letting the emotions of the epic subside allowing me to view the images on their own.

Is the waterfall a stitch?

Your PS work in the lake shot is super:D
  • Secluded ValleySecluded Valley Registered Users Posts: 176 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2009
    Those are beautiful shots. I like the look and feel of the second photo. I also like the last photo, especially the clouds and the little bit of sun on the peak. :D

Kristine
    "How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains!" ~John Muir
    edited April 28, 2009
    I see Sarah in these three imageswings.gif

Really like the vertical waterfall with the focus out top and bottom. This is great to see that you took your time to work these images. When I can I take months to really get back into my work from a trip, thus letting the emotions of the epic subside allowing me to view the images on their own.

Is the waterfall a stitch?

Your PS work in the lake shot is super:D

hi marc,
    thank you so much for your comments - you know how much it means to me.. yes, the waterfall is a stitch. it was my first real work out with the 24 t/s. plus vari nd for the water. i used 3 images. do i confess that the lake was my way of dealing with some real exposure problems that i faced, due to inadequate preparation for the sunrise?! call it a dipity shot (sarah 'n dipity!) groan..... i always feel really stressed by everyone posting their images up into after a trip, while i'm still on the plane, so now your comments make me feel better.
    all the best to you, sarah
    Sarah A Wager, MB BS

www.photoempt.com
    photoempt.smugmug.com
    www.rjslade.com
  • wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2009
    Beautiful shots. Mary Lake sunrise is most impressive to me, and great job on Lake Crowley- It can be quite challenging.
    Anybody can do it.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited April 28, 2009
    Great series of images, Sarah.

These really are captivating.

Last to the bus, I remember that. "Sarah, no one said the bull is friendly":D :D

I am always late getting my images edited due to travel also.

I enjoy going back to images shot several years ago, as I continue learn better ways to wrangle pixels in PS.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2009
    Lovely series Sarah, particularly like the Mary Lake Sunrise clap.gif

Don't fret, I've still got some Mull images I haven't worked on yet ne_nau.gif

Charlie
    edited May 2, 2009
    thebigsky wrote:
    Lovely series Sarah, particularly like the Mary Lake Sunrise clap.gif

Don't fret, I've still got some Mull images I haven't worked on yet ne_nau.gif

Charlie

hi charlie - great to hear from you. how are you doing? glad you liked the images - it was a lot of fun. cheers, sarah
    Sarah A Wager, MB BS

www.photoempt.com
    photoempt.smugmug.com
    www.rjslade.com
  • ccherokeccheroke Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited May 2, 2009
    Great Images
    I like 2 and 4 the best but actually all of them are great!
    edited May 3, 2009
    ccheroke wrote:
    I like 2 and 4 the best but actually all of them are great!

ooh, thank you! the thing is that when you're in a beautiful and inspiring place, it' s not so hard. the sierras are really just wall to wall eye candy! now that i've moved back to europe, i've discovered california, and can't wait to go back!
    Sarah A Wager, MB BS

www.photoempt.com
    photoempt.smugmug.com
    www.rjslade.com