Thought #1 for DSS#24

silversx80silversx80 Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
edited April 28, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
There are a few artists I'm wanting to emulate for this challenge. Two I have already known about (and I haven't any images to emulate them yet). One I discovered a few weeks ago when looking up landscapes and panoramas. The person is Guy Edwardes (http://www.guyedwardes.com/). I'm really trying to get the style, and no specific photograph. Any and all opinions are welcome on the following two images. Both are panoramas. The first is a 4-shot vertical and the second is a 7-shot horizontal. Very little PP done, just some contrast and saturation.

This is the result of me waking up and going out at 6am this morning (dragging a girlfriend along). Did I get it?

web.jpg?ver=12406820470001

web.jpg?ver=12406817490001
- Joe
http://silversx80.smugmug.com/
Olympus E-M5, 12-50mm, 45mm f/1.8
Some legacy OM lenses and an OM-10

Comments

• KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2009
    My Thoughts
    I think you did well at your attempt. This guy takes advantage of depth big time in his work... and I see how you went with that here..

The reflection does has depth to it..

here is my take...

I like the breadth and composition in #2 it has depth for sure the way the reflection is and the way the grass hill divides the photo.. I also like the sky better in #2 because it is not as blown out.

however, #1 dominates in the depth effect"on the water" because the water is smooth for the reflection really reaches out at you..

so if you could capture the smooth water of number 1 and the composition of #2, I think you would have it...

if you cannot re shoot, then I would personally go with #2 for overall success here..

Just my thoughts.. and best of luck..:ivar

Kat
  • silversx80silversx80 Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2009
    Thanks for the comments, Kat. I don't think I can get a reshoot before the deadline because weather is supposed to work against me next weekend. I did, however, take around 30 shots from that particular angle. I'll see if I have any that can do what you're suggesting. I may even have a few single-frame, non-pano shots that may fit. I also agree that #2 has the better comp, but I was hoping it was #1 eek7.gif... oh well.

I'll see what I can pull out and process when I get home from work, but it may just be #2 that gets entered.
    - Joe
  • KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2009
    Yw
    your welcome.. yeah number one has a lot going for it too, but I feel it is just cropped too tightly.. I guess see what others say when they chime in and go with your gut instinct... it just that #2 's composition is easier on the eyes.. if ya can post some of those others on here and perhaps we can vote on those comparatively. rolleyes1.gif

I can't believe this.. I told myself I am getting an early start this time and I cant decide for the life of me, who I am going to emulate.. This one to me is tough..... I am thinking about Julien Busselle.. he did a window and fruit shot I really really admire..
    Looks like I will be working on it all week.. Will post mine when I get it shot..:ivar

look forward to seeing your other too. Have fun with it..

Kat
  • silversx80silversx80 Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2009
    Well, I got some other's processed, but I didn't have another vertical pano to work with... well, I did, but it was much more blown out and the other had some unsightly lens flare, I'll admit, I like the flare sometimes, but it didn't work for the pano.

Anyway, the other shots I have don't really fit the style I was trying to emulate. I did process them, however, so I'll post them in the Landscapes forum.
    - Joe