$400 shopping spree

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited April 27, 2009 in Cameras
If you had $400 to spend at Best Buy, what would you get?

I just received a $400 gift card to Best Buy and I really don't know what to get. I shoot Nikon and have a D300.

:scratch:scratch:scratch:scratch:scratch
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2009
    $400 to spend at Best Buy
    My boss surprised me with a nice gift... a $400 BestBuy gift card. I'm think of getting a second monitor. I currently own a 19" wide screen HP monitor which I really like. I will be running a dual monitor setup as my video card will support it.

Which Monitor would you buy from BestBuy?

My Smug Site
  • dixondukedixonduke Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2009
    A (or another) Flash? SB-900 / SB-600 ??
    Duke
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,081 moderator
    edited April 25, 2009
    If you had $400 to spend at Best Buy, what would you get?

I just received a $400 gift card to Best Buy and I really don't know what to get. I shoot Nikon and have a D300.

headscratch.gifscratchheadscratch.gifscratchheadscratch.gif

I know what I have and what I might want/need. What do you have a need for?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2009
    dixonduke wrote:
    A (or another) Flash? SB-900 / SB-600 ??

Yeah... I currently have an SB-600. I was considering getting an SB-800 so I can have two flashes.

Any other suggestions?

My Smug Site
    edited April 25, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I know what I have and what I might want/need. What do you have a need for?

OK... here is what I own.

D300
    SB-600 flash
    Sigma 30mm f/1.4
    Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5
    Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8
    16GB & (2) 4GB CP Flash Cards

I've been wanting a 105mm micro but they BB only sells the VR version and they sell it for over $900. I don't really need the VR and if I did get it, I can for quite a bit cheaper from B&H Photo.

I never thought it could be this difficult to spend $400!!! eek7.gif

My Smug Site
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2009
    Sell the card for cash and spend it on photo gear somewhere else? :D
    edited April 25, 2009
    I thought of that but don't know how to go about doing so.

Any suggestions?

My Smug Site
    edited April 25, 2009
    They have the Nikkor 50mm, f/1.4D for $350 and the Nikkor 85mm, f/1.8D for $450.
    ziggy53
    edited April 25, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    They have the Nikkor 50mm, f/1.4D for $350 and the Nikkor 85mm, f/1.8D for $450.

I was checking those out. If you had the lenses I currently own, which of the two would you get?

I guess the 85mm would make the most sense since I do not own any lens that long. Would you agree?

My Smug Site
    edited April 25, 2009
    ... I guess the 85mm would make the most sense since I do not own any lens that long. Would you agree?

Yes, I think that the 85mm would give you some additional capabilities if you need that length. If it were me in your situation, that's probably what I would purchase.
    ziggy53
    edited April 25, 2009
    They also sell the 60mm micro. I've been wanting a micro that can shoot 1:1 but really wanted the 105mm. I don't know if I'm willing to pay over $900 for it at BB even though I have the $400 free gift card. I don't really need the VR and can find the AF-D version for around $400 used.

From a macro capability point of view, is the 60mm as good as the 105mm? I really like the idea of having the length the 105 offers for other shooting such as portraits so maybe the 85mm is better and I can later get the 105 for macro???

So confused!!!

My Smug Site
    edited April 25, 2009
    They also sell the 60mm micro. I've been wanting a micro that can shoot 1:1 but really wanted the 105mm. I don't know if I'm willing to pay over $900 for it at BB even though I have the $400 free gift card. I don't really need the VR and can find the AF-D version for around $400 used.

From a macro capability point of view, is the 60mm as good as the 105mm? I really like the idea of having the length the 105 offers for other shooting such as portraits so maybe the 85mm is better and I can later get the 105 for macro???

So confused!!!

I prefer true macro lenses of 90m-180mm which allow a greater working distance from the subject and, therefore, more options in placing lights. It may also allow more timid critters to be photograped before scaring them.

I wound up purchasing a Tamron 90mm, f2.8 SP, used, for around $200USD. I am very happy with the performance of the lens overall and I can easily recommend it.

I do think that the Nikkor 60mm, f2.8G ED AF-S VR Micro is a great lens, just not one that I would recommend as a first choice for a macro application.
    ziggy53
    edited April 25, 2009
    WOW! $200 for the Tammy? That is a great deal. I search everyday for a used macro and haven't found anything close to that good of a deal.

So I will rule out the 60mm. I really want a real macro lens to start doing macro work and I don't want to settle on something that isn't really going give me the best setup.

So I am now back at the 85mm f/1.8.

The other option is that I was considering selling my Sigma 30mm f/1.4 to fund the purchase of the macro lens. So I guess I could purchase the 85mm f/1.8 or the 50mm f/1.4 and follow through with selling the 30mm to buy the macro. This would allow me both the macro and end up with a fast prime lens for those cases where I must shoot in low light and no flash, which is why I bought the 30mm in first place.

So with this in mind, would you opt for the 85mm or 50mm? Which is a nicer lens?

BTW... thanks for all your help Ziggy in helping decide.

My Smug Site
    edited April 25, 2009
    ... So with this in mind, would you opt for the 85mm or 50mm? Which is a nicer lens?

BTW... thanks for all your help Ziggy in helping decide.

The 85mm would give you a different FOV from anything that you have, but it all boils down to what you need.

In my case I needed the qualities of the 50mm focal length prime before the 85mm focal length, so I bought the 50mm first.

However, an 85mm lens is on my short list for purchases. (I am using the 90mm macro for some of those applications now.)
    ziggy53
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2009
    hp has a 24" monitor that will rotate and is an IPS model that runs right at $400 or just a bit more.....that is theone I would be trying to get.............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2009
    I have both- thought I would use the 50 more, but get the 85, its incredibly sharp... and its great.
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com
    edited April 26, 2009
    I think I am leaning towards the 85mm f/1.8. I will wait a few days just to see if I change my mind but that is probably what I will get.

My Smug Site
  • ShooterSquishShooterSquish Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited April 26, 2009
    If you have photoshop already (Or photoshop Elements)
    Get a wacom or other tablet style input device

If you don't have Photoshop/ PS Elements get
    One of of them.

That's my suggestion.
    edited April 27, 2009
    I already own LR2 and CS3. I also have a tablet so don't need that stuff. Good suggestions though.

So after another day of thinking, I am now leaning towards waiting a while until I can afford to buy either the 80-400mm or 70-200mm Nikon lens. I checked the gift card and it doesn't have an expiration date so there is no rush. I am going to Cancun and Cuba this September on Holiday and really would love to have either of these lenses with me for that trip.

My Smug Site
  • ShooterSquishShooterSquish Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited April 27, 2009
    I already own LR2 and CS3. I also have a tablet so don't need that stuff. Good suggestions though.

So after another day of thinking, I am now leaning towards waiting a while until I can afford to buy either the 80-400mm or 70-200mm Nikon lens. I checked the gift card and it doesn't have an expiration date so there is no rush. I am going to Cancun and Cuba this September on Holiday and really would love to have either of these lenses with me for that trip.

That 70-200 VR Nikkor is a great lens
    I rented one this weekend to see if I should upgrade my older 80-200.
    And this is the next lens I'm getting.

You also mentioned earlier about the Nikkor 50mm 1.4.
    I've had mine for 10 years now. On the DX camera's it's great I use it a lot for shooting indoors no flash
    situations especially casual portraits and the like
    On a full frame or film cameras the speed and size works well for low light situations but the focal length is a bit "boring".