Options

Shooting in the rain?

BobbyMarshallBobbyMarshall Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
edited May 7, 2009 in Technique
I am curious as to what others have done when they want to shoot in the rain. Do you look for shelter to shoot from (ex. a cabana, a tree)? of do you provide your own shelter from the rain via, umbrella, tarp, raincoat and camera protection, etc?

It is going to be raining here the next couple days, and I also wanted to shoot a particular bloom that happens this time of year. I am just wondering how to go about it without ruining my gear.

thanks.
Canon 50D | EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS | 70-200 f/2.8L IS
2x White Lightning x1600 | 580 EXII
Sekonic L-358 | 2x Pocket Wizard II | TC-80N3 Remote Shutter

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited April 26, 2009
    I use a weather resistant camera and a rain cover. You can use a garbage bag too.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2009
    I watched/shot a football bowl game in a downpour in San Francisco a few years ago. It was cold and wet, but I stayed dry and warm with my high tech waterproof clothing and low tech camera protection. rolleyes1.gif

2146922646_00b4b2292a.jpg

During a dgrin shootout, I was told that shower caps work very well (???) and that a plastic bag will work too. I didn't have a shower cap, so I packed both a trash bag and a plastic bag. And I kept my hands over the body itself... I just couldn't wear my gloves. The bag kept most of the water off (and the hood protected the lens), but the bag kept on ripping as the night went on. I think next time, I'll try a ziplock bag. It's not worth buying something fancy, but you can.

lens covers at bh : I've heard good things about the Aqua Tech, but I don't shoot enough in the rain to buy it.

A few people around me were too drunk to care when the rain turned heavy, but they didn't look too happy while mostly everyone else hid in the clubhouse to watch via the window or on TV. I must admit that it's more comfortable/easier to be active when raining/snowing than just sitting still.

And if you own a canon 1D series, that camera is rated for about five inches of water in a hour...
  • Options
    Chile ChefChile Chef Registered Users Posts: 473 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2009
    I will be shooting in the rain this summer,

I have a rain coat for the camera that my folks got me for christmas.
  • Options
    Mr. 2H2OMr. 2H2O Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2009
    When the wind is up, I wear protective rain gear and use a plastic bag for the camera with rubber bands securing it to the lens hood and over the viewfinder.

If the wind is not too much and I'm shooting sports, I use an umbrella attached to my monopod (the $8 umbrellas that attach to beach chairs).

Never had a problem with either setup.

- Mike
    Olympus E-30
    IR Modified Sony F717
    http://2H2OPhoto.smugmug.com
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2009
    besides the umbrella i take three or four microfibercloths for the lens.

watch out for the lightning stuff i hear it can be a shocker
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2009
    One solution I've seen Andy post (I couldn't find the pictures, though I did find the thread) is to
    • Take a zip-lock bag
    • Cut a small hole in each of the bottom corners (opposite the bag opening)
    • Remove your camera strap from your camera
    • Feed each end of the camera strap through one of the holes in the bag
    • Re-connect the strap to the camera
    • Put the strap around your neck
    • Push the bag down the straps to cover the camera when it's hanging
    • Pull the bag up the straps a bit to shoot
  • Options
    KhristenKhristen Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited April 28, 2009
    THAT is the best idea I've heard as far as homemade! I'm glad this was brought up I was wanting to shoot a few scenes the other day but since it was raining I couldn't come up with anything that I thought would be "safe enough" for my 50D. I'm more comfy with this idea and think I'll try it next time it rains.

Thanks Andy and thank you Scott!
  • Options
    TrulyAlaskanTrulyAlaskan Registered Users Posts: 76 Big grins
    edited May 6, 2009
    Alaska gets a lot of rain... my way of dealing with it is to use the bag method mentioned above.

I tried an umbrella a few times, I even tried one attached to a tripod... no good.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited May 6, 2009
    It is good to take rain seriously, especially if you shoot with a 5D.

I had mine quit after a rather brief time in a light drizzle - switched to a 1 series the remainder of the day without incident. Rutt had a similar experience with his 5D in the rain. Both resumed work when dried out over night, but some do not.

So I shoot in the rain, but I am careful about protection if I am going to be out in if for a while also.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    codruscodrus Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited May 7, 2009
    If the lens is an "L", then it's weatherproof everywhere except where it connects to the camera body, right? (assuming non-1D). Does that mean that you only need to protect the body and lens mount area with an L lens?

--Ian
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2009
    One solution I've seen Andy post (I couldn't find the pictures, though I did find the thread) is to
    • Take a zip-lock bag
    • Cut a small hole in each of the bottom corners (opposite the bag opening)
    • Remove your camera strap from your camera
    • Feed each end of the camera strap through one of the holes in the bag
    • Re-connect the strap to the camera
    • Put the strap around your neck
    • Push the bag down the straps to cover the camera when it's hanging
    • Pull the bag up the straps a bit to shoot

Along these lines I use a trash bag approx 13gal or so and cut the a corner out to fit my lend and attach by rubber bands.....this size bag is large enuff to cover the whole lens and camera body and can actually get your head into if your careful............
    There are pix on here somewhere...but do not have time to find right now...must take dog in for tumor removal.

here is my other post with pics................

http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=1089391&postcount=20
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website