Shelby~2009 Senior

JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
edited May 17, 2009 in People
I had such a great time with her. I've known her family even before she was born so the connection was already there and I really think it shows. I am very proud of these photos and wish I could show them all to ya.
**here is a link to the video I made for her**
http://julielawsonphotography.wordpress.com/2009/04/28/shelbys-senior-session-video/
518844325_2FASC-L.jpg
520790064_xKDx7-L.jpg
519069330_fy4HE-L.jpg
left to right
little sister, my daughter, and shelby
519098321_cXeur-L.jpg
519706224_Chbij-L.jpg
520171672_3v3Yh-L.jpg
520772350_Q9mpM-L.jpg
520782816_Ycift-L.jpg
520780069_zJbo2-L.jpg
518848741_Sne7U-L.jpg
520788515_UttUw-L.jpg
520791682_z38iG-L.jpg

Comments

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2009
    You SHOULD be proud! These are absolutely beautiful.

#5 is the one that really stands out for me, I think - the pose is gorgeous for her, and those eeeyyyesss. Not so say the others aren't fantastic - they are - but I just find myself staring at #5!

The only ones I'm not 100% sold on are 6 (not sure if it's the crop, or the aspect ratio or what, but something looks like it's fighting itself there) and 8 (too much airspace above her and what's there is distracting), but small points and probably just a matter of personal taste.

Beautiful job all round.
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2009
  • PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2009
    Great Seriesbowdown.gif

My fav is #5

Take Care,
    Charles,
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2009
    #2 Doesnt do anything for me, but the rest of the series really rocks. Extra points for including a Shelby GT with Shelby.....niiiccee touch!

thumb.gif Shes gonna be thrilled, and her friends are going to burn down your phone line. Raise your prices....quick!!!:D
  • JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    #2 Doesnt do anything for me, but the rest of the series really rocks. Extra points for including a Shelby GT with Shelby.....niiiccee touch!

thumb.gif Shes gonna be thrilled, and her friends are going to burn down your phone line. Raise your prices....quick!!!:D

She is in our neighboring county. I tried last year to find someone from that county. Shelby was supposed to have hers done last may but...just couldn't make it happen. She contacted me at the last minute and we made it happen. Her friends are ga-ga over her images( her words, not mine. Laughing.gif)

Thanks to all for the comments. :)
  • Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2009
    Hey Julie,

These are great. I can see why her friends are "ga-ga" over them. #5 is ab absolute stunner. I know I'm missing half of the inside story on this one but I love the concept in #4.
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook
  • Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2009
    Would you mind sharing what you did to get these results? I just got my 50mm 1.4G and I also have a D90. Is it all ambient light or did you use a flash? What kind of post process do you use?
  • austinstrobistaustinstrobist Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited April 29, 2009
    Great series!

I love #5 and especially #6, I am a complete car junkie!
    website & blog

stefanochoi.com
  • JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2009
    Would you mind sharing what you did to get these results? I just got my 50mm 1.4G and I also have a D90. Is it all ambient light or did you use a flash? What kind of post process do you use?

I did use my flash. Is there any particular pictures that you are wondering about? The main thing that I've learned is (for me) I always want my model facing the sun. I find even if it's an overcast day....them facing where the sun is reduces the amount of fill flash that i need. ne_nau.gif

Let me know which ones you are wondering about.

thanks,:D
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2009
    Great set.

I do have to question your profile shot in number 7. Her facial profile is not very becoming of her in that shot. The way the sun lights her face makes it look like she has a large under bite. I wouldn't show that one to her.

Five is far and away your best shot. It really rocks. If I had to guess, it will be her favorite.

One other thing. You have tonal variations between 8, 9, and 10. Is this post processing, trying to do a little something different with 9? Just wondering.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • rhondavidrhondavid Registered Users Posts: 433 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2009
    I love all these shots. What a beautiful young lady, gorgeous eyes which you have captured so well. Number 3 and #5 are my favorites because of the way her eyes are captured.

I am a car guy too so gotta say I love the car too. iloveyou.gif.

Really enjoyed the video of the entire set of shots. Shelby should be very very pleased with the work done. I really have enjoyed looking at shots of Shelby and other seniors. You are a master in my opinion!
    David

D40
    18 - 55 kit lens
    55- 200 VR kit lens
    Lots of desires
    edited April 30, 2009
    Ed911 wrote:
    Great set.

I do have to question your profile shot in number 7. Her facial profile is not very becoming of her in that shot. The way the sun lights her face makes it look like she has a large under bite. I wouldn't show that one to her.

Five is far and away your best shot. It really rocks. If I had to guess, it will be her favorite.

One other thing. You have tonal variations between 8, 9, and 10. Is this post processing, trying to do a little something different with 9? Just wondering.

I agree about 7....it isn't the most becoming to her.

I love 5 as well.
    8,9, and 10 I'm trying to remember what I did. I know that I was losing light in that particular area fast. It is nestled in a hill (deep into the hill) the last two frames were so severly flashed that I said it was time to move on because of the light. I know I used an action on those, but not sure if it was the same for all three. Sorry. lol
    edited April 30, 2009
    rhondavid wrote:
    I love all these shots. What a beautiful young lady, gorgeous eyes which you have captured so well. Number 3 and #5 are my favorites because of the way her eyes are captured.

I am a car guy too so gotta say I love the car too. iloveyou.gif.

Really enjoyed the video of the entire set of shots. Shelby should be very very pleased with the work done. I really have enjoyed looking at shots of Shelby and other seniors. You are a master in my opinion!

Master, I'm not so sure about that. rolleyes1.gif I do strive to emulate my favorites from here and other sites.
  • Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2009
    I really like the colors of 1,5,6,8,9,10, and 12. Haha I realize thats a big list but I really like them! I am curious if these pics were taken with your 50mm or if you used something else. I just think they are really sharp and vivid in color and I wanted to know how you achieved that.
    edited May 1, 2009
    I really like the colors of 1,5,6,8,9,10, and 12. Haha I realize thats a big list but I really like them! I am curious if these pics were taken with your 50mm or if you used something else. I just think they are really sharp and vivid in color and I wanted to know how you achieved that.

50 mm Center weighted

Thanks for the compliment. I really appreciate that. :D
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2009
    Hey Julie -

Did you give her any specific instructions for the pose on #5? I admit it - I'm going to shamelessly borrow it, as I think it's a perfect look for the gal I'm shooting tomorrow. I love the angles, the hand and the DOF - would love to know your settings and if you did anything special to get that out of her! (Hope you don't mind my asking - the total "look" in my shoot will be different because of the styling we'll be using and the location is drastically different so I'm not being a total copycat, honest I'm not!)
  • barbnjonbarbnjon Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited May 9, 2009
    I did use my flash. Is there any particular pictures that you are wondering about? The main thing that I've learned is (for me) I always want my model facing the sun. I find even if it's an overcast day....them facing where the sun is reduces the amount of fill flash that i need. ne_nau.gif

Let me know which ones you are wondering about.

thanks,:D

Just a question. Wouldn't facing them to the sun cause them to squint? Or even overexposure? I always thought that the sun should be behind or at a side angle of the subject. However, facing the sun didn't seem to bother this girl. Your technique certainly was effective in this case. Just curious. Beautiful shots BTW!
    edited May 9, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Hey Julie -

Did you give her any specific instructions for the pose on #5? I admit it - I'm going to shamelessly borrow it, as I think it's a perfect look for the gal I'm shooting tomorrow. I love the angles, the hand and the DOF - would love to know your settings and if you did anything special to get that out of her! (Hope you don't mind my asking - the total "look" in my shoot will be different because of the styling we'll be using and the location is drastically different so I'm not being a total copycat, honest I'm not!)

She really didn't understand what I was wanting her to do...she didn't 'get it'. But she did when she saw it. I showed her what I wanted her to do. You can totally copy it because I copied it to. Laughing.gif I can't wait to see your results. I think I may have shot in aperature priority
    edited May 9, 2009
    barbnjon wrote:
    Just a question. Wouldn't facing them to the sun cause them to squint? Or even overexposure? I always thought that the sun should be behind or at a side angle of the subject. However, facing the sun didn't seem to bother this girl. Your technique certainly was effective in this case. Just curious. Beautiful shots BTW!

For me....I only put the sun behind the subject if I want her to be underexposed. My flash has to work too hard to light her up and it's never given me the look that I like. I prefer to use the flash only to "lift" shadows from the face. I make the sun do my work...even if it's in a doorway or at the edge of a shadowed place. I'm not sure how she managed to not squint though. wings.gif

thanks for your comment.:D
  • ride16ride16 Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited May 9, 2009
    Great job - those are all absolutely beautiful! #5 is definatley my favorite, though.

BLOG
    WEBSITE
  • pixelsoftimepixelsoftime Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited May 17, 2009
    These are great! Anybody should be proud of them. Very well done.