Philadelphia Skyline

rusticrustic Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
edited August 24, 2009 in Landscapes
I've recently been admiring a canvas print of the Philly skyline that is hanging in an office where work. I'd been trying to figure out where it was taken from, but unfortunately I finally deduced that it came from a bridge that was recently demolished and won't be fully rebuilt for another two years!

I found a location that was pretty similar, though, and am looking for suggestions on how to improve this shot. It's a pano, stitched from 5 shots, and taken with a Sigma 17-70 at 70mm, f/10. It was taken late in the afternoon on a bright sunny day. I'd like to get back to take an evening shot to get the lights, but haven't had a chance to yet.

520890318_WLMkR-O.jpg

I'm not usually big on frames, but I thought that this helped it to stand out a bit.

Any comments, criticisms, suggestions, etc, on either the capture itself or the post processing would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2009
    Looks good to me! I don't really have any suggestions for this other than maybe including a little more at the bottom of the frame. Otherwise, nicely done!
  • boblu262boblu262 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2009
    Nice stitching job! I like the clouds but would like to see them POP a bit more. If the sky were a bit darker I think it would help.
  • rusticrustic Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2009
    dseidman wrote:
    Looks good to me! I don't really have any suggestions for this other than maybe including a little more at the bottom of the frame. Otherwise, nicely done!
    Thanks! Unfortunately this is overlooking the construction site of the demolished bridge that I mentioned, so that's about as low as I could go with it.
  • rusticrustic Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2009
    boblu262 wrote:
    Nice stitching job! I like the clouds but would like to see them POP a bit more. If the sky were a bit darker I think it would help.
    Thanks Bob. That's a good thought, I did do an overlay layer at about 10% opacity to try to make the whole image pop a bit more, but I didn't think to try to do a second one and just use a layer mask for the clouds only. I'll give that a shot and see what I come up with.
  • dustin32dustin32 Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited April 26, 2009
    Well done. The post processing is very nice, though I do agree about the clouds. Perhaps if the sky had been a darker blue, and the clouds light, there would be more contrast... Being a PP noob, not sure what to do about it...
  • Nihil_DicitNihil_Dicit Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited April 30, 2009
    Nice shot! Did you use a gradient filter?
  • grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,537 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2009
    Great looking shot!!
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2009
    Very nice b&w! Beautiful contrast and a nice sky. thumb.gif I like the frame too. :D
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com