DSS #24 - C&C please

dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
edited April 28, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
This has been very hard for me... I have looked high and low and the more I look, the more I realized I couldn't do the things I might like to do... except, maybe...
We had a local photographer at a club meeting last month. She had some work that I thought was terrific. One of her series' was a several pictures of old neon signs. I loved them... very nostaligia type thing. Problem, she was in Montana when she took them. So, I had to find something here to try to get that feel. It wasn't easy, but there was one place in town that had it, a restaurant called MG's. So after driving a good 30 miles or so around the area tonight, I wound up 2 blocks from my house.
Lara Smetak is her name, http://lipsmackstudio.blogspot.com/2008_09_01_archive.html show the pictures I was trying to do justice to, though I admire a lot of her work.
And here is what I have to offer.... did I come anywhere near? (minus the skies) which one looks best? I know my favorite, curious what others think.

520903166_Dja5N-L.jpg
520902514_ARwtc-L.jpg
520902633_M3HRs-L.jpg
520903195_CNTch-L.jpg

Comments

• sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2009
    My fav is the first one.
    the Pegasus,

I am curious why you have cropped so tightly?
    one of the things I notice about Laura's neon work is that is has a bit of breathing room except for a couple, and of course the skies but you already mentioned that.
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2009
    sherstone wrote:
    My fav is the first one.
    the Pegasus,

I am curious why you have cropped so tightly?
    one of the things I notice about Laura's neon work is that is has a bit of breathing room except for a couple, and of course the skies but you already mentioned that.

These were all hanging in the walls and near ugly acostic ceiling tiles. I was trying to eliminate as much of the clutter as I could.
    edited April 26, 2009
    dnie wrote:
    These were all hanging in the walls and near ugly acostic ceiling tiles. I was trying to eliminate as much of the clutter as I could.

ahhh makes perfect sense, ugly acoustic tiles are just that.... ugly
  • pardespardes Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited April 26, 2009
    Thanks for the tip on Lara's blog.

As you say, "except for the sky" I think your emulated very well .... in some ways they are even better, but that's just my preference. Lara's photos have a dreamy quality possibly due to not blowing out the sky and surrounding objects, while your photos are more "in-your-face."

I would like to try neon signs as well but only after I get my monitor saturation problems straightened out. An over-saturated neon sign would be enough to set your teeth on edge. Yikes!

The interesting thing about neon signs is how ugly the wiring is close up. It's a real trick to block out all the ugliness of wires, taped up tube parts and of course all the extraneous material that is usually hanging nearby.
    "A photograph is a secret about a secret." Diane Arbus
  • KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2009
    Hmmm
    Well,

I looked at her stuff. I do like how she utilizes the sky on some of them, but then I agree about the in your face comment. It is true, yours has a certain appeal being so up front.

I have to say,,, I like the shooting angle on the first one, the Pegasus and I like the room in the frame..

however, the Indian is not bad if you worked with the color a little... I like the depth on the Indian and the color on it too..

Good luck with it.rolleyes1.gif

Kat
  • Velvet-ArtVelvet-Art Registered Users Posts: 292 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2009
    I like #2 and #4, I like the colours on both, but #2's simplicity wins out for me.

Tim
    edited April 26, 2009
    Thanks, everyone for the helpful comments. I am going to work on it a little more to see if I can give them a little more space without showing the surrouding things. I am not any good at cloning things out so.... I will have to try to be creative. I'm also wondering if I have darkened too much trying to hide the surroundings. I wish I could get in there after the turn out the overhead lights at night.
    Today has turned into one of those busy busy days. Darn kids! They won't let me play on my computer for long. Guess I will have to work on it tomorrow. I'll post any redos then, if I can do them...
    edited April 26, 2009
    Happy Editing To You
    have fun.. I look forward to seeing what you post.. and if you cant get more space around them, well... the tight crop seems to work with the Indian best. At least in my opinion..I guess it is because of the angle and his headdress.

I know what you mean about the kids... best solution is to get them a computer of their own...lol rolleyes1.gifworked for me; and I got one cheap on craigslist.. that is powerful enough to run their learning games and stuff..

Kat
  • The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2009
    Ok, I vote for 1.
    edited April 27, 2009
    have fun.. I look forward to seeing what you post.. and if you cant get more space around them, well... the tight crop seems to work with the Indian best. At least in my opinion..I guess it is because of the angle and his headdress.
    I know what you mean about the kids... best solution is to get them a computer of their own...lol rolleyes1.gifworked for me; and I got one cheap on craigslist.. that is powerful enough to run their learning games and stuff..
    Kat

:) I should have said "TEENS!" :) you know how the world revolves around them and the universe will crash down around us all if they aren't happy. :lol
    There are actually 2 more computers in this house (too slow for what they want) , numerous game systems and 2 brand new DSI's... it is never enough. :D Boy, they are in for a hard life!
    edited April 27, 2009
    ohhhh...
    ok.. well that changes everything.. I thought we were talking 5 to 12 years old here.. an oh no......... it's Summer!!! :lol4 oh boy are you going to have your hands full...
    No, make that your ears..ear.gif I'm bored... I'm bored, I'm bored..I'm bored gonna be hearing that a lot....

Kat
    edited April 27, 2009
    ok, here are three re-do's.

1. Pegasus with more space and lightened up a bit. Any more added to the top would bring in the acoustic tiles (yuck)
    523165633_ZsEwZ-L.jpg

2. Indian Head with more space and not darkened.
    522480636_QZBjk-L.jpg

3. Indian Head darkened (personally I think I like this best, I like the way the neon pops out from the darkness)
    522480565_eCq7t-L.jpg
    edited April 27, 2009
    hmmmm
    You really have given that Pegasus some new appeal.. Opening up the stuff on the wall gave it character and the mood of a country side bar. I personally love the license plate. I know you don't like to clone, but if you could clone or patch that "tiny" black corner on the right hand side, it would be less distracting.

I’m gonna have to say I like the original post on the Indian. Not fond of the space on that one and the darker one is lit up, but the dark green texture on the inside of it begins to take away from the true glow of a neon sign..

of course this is just my personal taste.. so... I will be interested in what vote others cast on this..

Starting to favor the horsey.. Something about the way its light splashes onto the wall and the license plate.. This is a creative shot...

Kat
    edited April 27, 2009
    You really have given that Pegasus some new appeal.. Opening up the stuff on the wall gave it character and the mood of a country side bar. I personally love the license plate. I know you don't like to clone, but if you could clone or patch that "tiny" black corner on the right hand side, it would be less distracting.

I’m gonna have to say I like the original post on the Indian. Not fond of the space on that one and the darker one is lit up, but the dark green texture on the inside of it begins to take away from the true glow of a neon sign..

of course this is just my personal taste.. so... I will be interested in what vote others cast on this..

Starting to favor the horsey.. Something about the way its light splashes onto the wall and the license plate.. This is a creative shot...

Kat

Thanks Kat, I meant to try and get rid of that and just missed it. I'll get that done in the morning.
    edited April 28, 2009
    hard choice
    Well..

I went a looked them all over again.. and my final vote is for either of the Pegasuses.. It is going to be a hard choice for ya.. but to me, those have the most impact.. It is gonna come down to your gut instinct, and I agree with you, this particular challenge has me stumped.. I am still stalling on mine.. Just like me to wait until the last minute though..

I do wish you all the luck..clap.gifthumbthumb.gifthumb

Kat
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2009
    I like the Pegasus photos best. The second version, giving it a little more context, is my favorite.

Virginia

Email
    edited April 28, 2009
    ** I fixed the spot on the Pegasus photo and replaced in thye the last post of choices.

Thanks Kat. Like you said, this was a hard one for me also. Looking at what everyone else has done leaves me feeling at a loss. My only hope is not to embarrass myself on this one.

Virginia, Thanks for your vote. I could not have picked which one to use without evryone help.

So, any more votes, comments or suggestions? It is looking like Pegasus at this point.
    edited April 28, 2009
    I too like the new Pegasus.
    The extra breathing room along with some choice extra details has worked out well.
    edited April 28, 2009
    Thanks Sherstone! I was afraid that the extra's would make it cluttered.

I also noticed, The Indian will be in it anyway... it is reflected in one of the framed pieces.
  • The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2009
    I love the new and improved Pegasus.