Question about an old Canon T70

4artsake4artsake Registered Users Posts: 76 Big grins
edited April 27, 2009 in Cameras
Does anyone know what present digital camera would be the equivalent to a nondigital old Canon T70?

Comments

• NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2009
    Any basic DSLR, the T70 has no AF and very basic metering so all entry level cameras will be a huge step up just from the camera end.

Rebel XS
    D40
    E-420
    ect ect

The grip is tiny on the T70 so the E-420 might be the closest physically
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited April 26, 2009
    Any basic DSLR, the T70 has no AF and very basic metering so all entry level cameras will be a huge step up just from the camera end.

15524779-Ti.gif Do understand that Canon changed the lens mount starting with the EOS cameras and all modern Canon cameras use the EF type lens mount. Many of the Canon dSLRs also use the EF-S lenses.

Any lenses you used on the T70 will not directly fit the modern cameras. While you can get an adapter, and I have one of the adapters, it's just not worth trying, IMO.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • RobinivichRobinivich Registered Users Posts: 438 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2009
    Maybe the biggest difference in use will be the viewfinder, an old, manual focus film camera would have a quite large, bright viewfinder when compared to modern DSLRs, particularly entry level cameras.

Auto focus DSLRs have to divert 40% or so of the light coming in through the lens to the autofocus sensor, which means you have a lot less to work with through the viewfinder. In order to get the brightness up, manufacturers usually use a focusing matte that lets through more light, but isn't very easy to precisely manual focus with for this reason.

Add to that that all entry level DSLRs use at least a 1.5x crop factor, so the viewfinder is guaranteed to be smaller as well as harder to manual focus with. If this is a big deal, it may be worth considering a bit of a step up to a mid-range camera, like a Canon 40D, which is available right now for not very much more than the entry level, but has a superior viewfinder, with the ability to swap out focusing screens if you want a better one to focus with (you have to trade some brightness, of course).

Besides viewfinder, which is a little bit of a step backwards (at least in the entry level, pro cameras are a different story), any DSLR sold today will blow the T70 away, autofocus, 3+ frames per second as opposed to 0.7, ability to change ISO on the fly, more flexible metering modes, all the joys of digital vs film, etc.
  • 4artsake4artsake Registered Users Posts: 76 Big grins
    edited April 26, 2009
    Thanks guys. The reason I was asking is that I have to take some photos of my artwork for my website. I was going to rent a Digital DSLR camera, but my father dug out his old Canon T70 and I was wondering if the quality of his camera would be better than my Canon PowerShot SD850 IS Digital Elph? Which is what I have been using lately and am not happy with the quality. If the T70 is better, I can request to have the pics put on a CD from the photo place instead of having prints. That way, I can post edit the photos myself and download it on my smugmug website. Any help or suggestions appreciated :D
    edited April 26, 2009
    4artsake wrote:
    Thanks guys. The reason I was asking is that I have to take some photos of my artwork for my website. I was going to rent a Digital DSLR camera, but my father dug out his old Canon T70 and I was wondering if the quality of his camera would be better than my Canon PowerShot SD850 IS Digital Elph? Which is what I have been using lately and am not happy with the quality. If the T70 is better, I can request to have the pics put on a CD from the photo place instead of having prints. That way, I can post edit the photos myself and download it on my smugmug website. Any help or suggestions appreciated :D

Margaret,

What lighting are you using?
    ziggy53
    edited April 26, 2009
    Hi Ziggy :D I will be honest, natural lighting at this point because of limited funds. But, if I have to purchase artificial lighting to properly photograph graphite, pastel and oil paint portraits, I will. I would like my website on smugmug to closely represent my artistic abilities in these art mediums to my website visitors as much a possible, but I do understand at this point, perfection may not be possible. That can be a goal further down the line.
    edited April 26, 2009
    Careful and controlled lighting is more important than camera or lens. Next in importance is lens and finally the camera.

Properly lit, your PowerShot SD850 IS is probably capable of good enough quality.

Getting back to your earlier question, most dSLRs of 6 MPix (or more) provide images which most people agree look better than even high quality 35mm film scans from quality film cameras. Digital cameras also have the advantage of rapid feedback, allowing you to improve lighting before moving to a different subject and situation.
    ziggy53
    edited April 26, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Careful and controlled lighting is more important than camera or lens. Next in importance is lens and finally the camera.

Properly lit, your PowerShot SD850 IS is probably capable of good enough quality.

Getting back to your earlier question, most dSLRs of 6 MPix (or more) provide images which most people agree look better than even high quality 35mm film scans from quality film cameras. Digital cameras also have the advantage of rapid feedback, allowing you to improve lighting before moving to a different subject and situation.

Ziggy, here is the page that shows a graphite portrait taken with my PowerShot Digital Elph. I used natural lighting as best I could. Maybe you can take a look and let me know if you have anymore suggestions? What you see here is what a potential client would see. I felt that I had lost a lot of detail and gray tones. The portrait in real life has more depth and detail. Is there anything I can do to maximize the camera (Digital Elph) or lighting to gain back more detail and gray tones?

http://www.margaretmckay.smugmug.com/gallery/6872998_Vz9qt#504471305_Le5oR
    edited April 26, 2009
    4artsake wrote:
    Ziggy, here is the page that shows a graphite portrait taken with my PowerShot Digital Elph. I used natural lighting as best I could. Maybe you can take a look and let me know if you have anymore suggestions? What you see here is what a potential client would see. I felt that I had lost a lot of detail and gray tones. The portrait in real life has more depth and detail. Is there anything I can do to maximize the camera (Digital Elph) or lighting to gain back more detail and gray tones?

http://www.margaretmckay.smugmug.com/gallery/6872998_Vz9qt#504471305_Le5oR

Use only ISO 80 and choose the Large, Superfine settings. Set Exposure Compensation to -1 and adjust slightly up or down as required. You might try some different "Scene Mode" settings as well, like Snow or Beach modes, with and without the exposure compensation. Choose a mode which reduces contrast if you can find one.

I think what is happening, from the samples images in your gallery, is that the SD850 exposure system is being confused by the tones in the graphite rendition. Note how much lighter the dark tones in the jacket are compared to the original photograph. The Snow or Beach mode may reduce the effect automatically but the exposure compensation may still be required to adjust the tones into values you can accept. Experimentation will tell you for sure.
    ziggy53
    edited April 27, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Use only ISO 80 and choose the Large, Superfine settings. Set Exposure Compensation to -1 and adjust slightly up or down as required. You might try some different "Scene Mode" settings as well, like Snow or Beach modes, with and without the exposure compensation. Choose a mode which reduces contrast if you can find one.

I think what is happening, from the samples images in your gallery, is that the SD850 exposure system is being confused by the tones in the graphite rendition. Note how much lighter the dark tones in the jacket are compared to the original photograph. The Snow or Beach mode may reduce the effect automatically but the exposure compensation may still be required to adjust the tones into values you can accept. Experimentation will tell you for sure.

Thank you Ziggy for taking the time to look at my website. Your advice will help a lot :D