Options

Q: Lightsphere vs Lumiquest?

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited June 11, 2005 in Accessories
I am using Lumiquest Promax bouncing/reflector system on my Sony HVL-32FX.
I would call it a moderate success. It's definitely better than a bare flash, but with the ceiling availalble ceiling slone is usually *much* better. Besides, it requires flash to be in its "B" mode, and as such drains batteries *really* fast.

I recently saw a few posts of the weddings taken with the lightsphere for candids.
My understanding that it can be used for any unit position, vertical or horisontal. Is this correct?
And, most important, did anybody have a chance to compare the results of both systems under the similar environment?
I recently acquired Sunpak 555, and I wonder shall I shell out another $40 for LS2 or shall I simply continue to use Promax?

TIA!
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    I am using Lumiquest Promax bouncing/reflector system on my Sony HVL-32FX.
    I would call it a moderate success. It's definitely better than a bare flash, but with the ceiling availalble ceiling slone is usually *much* better. Besides, it requires flash to be in its "B" mode, and as such drains batteries *really* fast.

I recently saw a few posts of the weddings taken with the lightsphere for candids.
    My understanding that it can be used for any unit position, vertical or horisontal. Is this correct?
    And, most important, did anybody have a chance to compare the results of both systems under the similar environment?
    I recently acquired Sunpak 555, and I wonder shall I shell out another $40 for LS2 or shall I simply continue to use Promax?

TIA!

Nick,

My guess is that you'll end up shelling out the $40. But how about we get together sometime and shoot the same thing under the same conditions, me with my LS2 and you with your Promax. Then you can really see for yourself.

And besides, it would be a great excuse to get together. I suggest that we do our test shoot at a restaurant. Dinner, beer and photography. BJ's. They have an awesome stout.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2005
    David, it's an awesome idea!
    DavidTO wrote:
    Nick,

My guess is that you'll end up shelling out the $40. But how about we get together sometime and shoot the same thing under the same conditions, me with my LS2 and you with your Promax. Then you can really see for yourself.

And besides, it would be a great excuse to get together. I suggest that we do our test shoot at a restaurant. Dinner, beer and photography. BJ's. They have an awesome stout.
    And BJ's is great place for this - open space, high ceiling, dark, we can be lucky to get cute waitresses:-)

Another option is to go to TGIF on Janss. They have Guinness on tap (which BJ's does NOT have, I tried), and they have fancy Tiffany lampshades and funny stuff on the walls all over the place...

In any case we can also do some night shooting afterwards - either on the Promenade or on Janss - both places have enough outdoor stuff to shoot at night:-) I can bring my "one-ligth-stand" and after we done with LS2/LQ we can have a blast with a *really* nice lighting:-)

Let's do it this week!
    And maybe some other lads from the viscinity can join us? Jeff, wanna do some late nite driving?

I would love to discuss the 2006 Canyons Trip, too, cause we have to make up our minds about it asap!

I'm open almost every night, and my Promax is always with me:-).

Tonight? Tomorrow?

HTHFYS!thumb.gif
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    And BJ's is great place for this - open space, high ceiling, dark, we can be lucky to get cute waitresses:-)

Another option is to go to TGIF on Janss. They have Guinness on tap (which BJ's does NOT have, I tried), and they have fancy Tiffany lampshades and funny stuff on the walls all over the place...

In any case we can also do some night shooting afterwards - either on the Promenade or on Janss - both places have enough outdoor stuff to shoot at night:-) I can bring my "one-ligth-stand" and after we done with LS2/LQ we can have a blast with a *really* nice lighting:-)

Let's do it this week!
    And maybe some other lads from the viscinity can join us? Jeff, wanna do some late nite driving?

I would love to discuss the 2006 Canyons Trip, too, cause we have to make up our minds about it asap!

I'm open almost every night, and my Promax is always with me:-).

Tonight? Tomorrow?

HTHFYS!thumb.gif

I'm a very busy boy. Friday's the first night I have available.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2005
    Friday, eh
    DavidTO wrote:
    I'm a very busy boy. Friday's the first night I have available.
    Well, all places sure will be packed, so we'd need to make a reservation...
    Let's plan for Friday. In the mean time other guys can think of it, too.
    I will be looking forward to it!thumb.gif
  • Options
    BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    Let's plan for Friday.
    Don't forget to post your results :D
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2005
    You betcha!
    Bodley wrote:
    Don't forget to post your results :D
    If nothing else, we'll get a nice food shots - cause it's always about the food!:D
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2005
    David,
    DavidTO wrote:
    My guess is that you'll end up shelling out the $40.
    Thank you very much for showing me the LS2.
    It made me think (which is a good part in any case), and this morning I came up to a "bit" cheaper (i.e. free:-), way more portable and pretty much similar functionality: Poor Man's Flash Diffuser.

It was a pleasant and very educational evening!
    I'll post the other pikchas soon..