#24 - for C&C

FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
edited May 3, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
This is a photograph of a monument that I have photographed a number of times before. The goal I set myself was to emulate a photographer whose work I admire to raise the photo to the next level. I wanted my take on it to be different from all the other pictures taken of this "pleureuse" (mourner) in the Pere Lachaise cemetery in Paris. In addition, I wanted to take it in early morning light and do as much as I could in camera so that very little PP was required to get the effect I was looking for.

Anyone want to guess who I am trying to emulate?

Thanks for looking.

Virginia

521111405_EgNis-L.jpg

Email

Comments

• sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2009
    I like the juxtaposition of color temperature, it is an extremely "cool" way to pull the viewers attention directly towards the main subject.

Is the slight tilt to the left purposeful?

the big G search engine was very kind in bringing me enough information that I am going to hazard a guess that you are emulating David Lewalski, unfortunately I am unable to find any of his work online to view. Admittedly your blog gives the clues so if it isn't David then it will be one other.
  • The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2009
    I have no clue who the artist is but you images is beautiful. I really like
    the difference in color temp also. I also like the shadow on the headstone/tablet.

g
  • Velvet-ArtVelvet-Art Registered Users Posts: 292 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2009
    I have to say that at the 1st look I found the colour difference between the background and foreground a bit disturbing, but I find myself looking again and again at it and now I really like the colour difference. It really gives great seperation and makes the subject stand out.

I too think there seems to be a slight tilt to the left.

I love this capture thumb.gifthumb

Tim
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2009
    Thank you Sherstone, Gail and Tim for your comments. They are much appreciated.

I'll double check on the tilt. It is not intentional - though it is hard to figure what straight up is in Pere Lachaise because no matter what, there always stones etc. that are tilted.

Tim, I too am not sure about the different color temperatures, though it was purposeful (part of the emulation). I was curious to see if I could do it in camera so I was glad for the excuse to try. I think it is growing on me a bit. Btw, the statue is actually ochre and stands out among the otherwise gray stones and monuments in any light.

Sherstone - the photographer is not David Lewalski, though if he is the one I think he is, I saw his work at the French Library in Boston a few years ago - excellent large format black and whites, if I recall, including some taken in Pere Lachaise.

As to the photographer I am emulating, Gail picked up on another feature in the photograph that is intentional. In addition to having two different color temps, I wanted to use a single speedlight to simulate light from the sun low in the sky - in this case the early morning sun. For that I wanted a distinct shadow.

What is your other guess, Sherstone?

Virginia

PS - I am very honored to have even a small part of your inspiration for the marvelous portrait you have entered.

Email
  • Velvet-ArtVelvet-Art Registered Users Posts: 292 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2009
    Flyinggina wrote:
    Tim, I too am not sure about the different color temperatures, though it was purposeful (part of the emulation). I was curious to see if I could do it in camera so I was glad for the excuse to try. I think it is growing on me a bit. Btw, the statue is actually ochre and stands out among the otherwise gray stones and monuments in any light.

Don't get me wrong, it was only at 1st look that it looked a tiny bit strange, but it has really grown on me, I love the look.thumb.gifthumb

Tim
  • sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2009
    Flyinggina wrote:

As to the photographer I am emulating, Gail picked up on another feature in the photograph that is intentional. In addition to having two different color temps, I wanted to use a single speedlight to simulate light from the sun low in the sky - in this case the early morning sun. For that I wanted a distinct shadow.

What is your other guess, Sherstone?
    Are you saying that the warm tones in the image are from a speedlight and not the sun? If so you pulled it off looking like the early morning sun perfectly!

As to my other guess I think I am way off, my initial guess was from information you posted in your blog talking about the pleureuse. My other guess was Henri Cartier-Bresson but I do not think that is correct either.
  • PaulThomasMcKeePaulThomasMcKee Registered Users Posts: 429 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2009
    Hi Virginia,

I really like what you have done with this. Without the difference in color temp the subject would be much less distinct from the background - especially since there is a fairly deep depth of field. As others have said, I think I'd prefer it with a degree or two of clockwise rotation to fix the lean to the left.

I've just started experimenting a little more with speedlights myself and I'm wondering if your inspiration is Joe McNally - and in particular his recent book "The Hot Shoe Diaries"? He uses the same technique to good effect in a number of the photo recipes detailed in his book.

Did you use a full cut of CTO and Tungsten WB?

Anyway, very well done.

Paul
  • KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2009
    Very Nice
    I like it.. I love the blue.. artistic wise.. you have a warm and cool set up here from what I can see.. and it works with the tombstones being cool and the statue looks warm saturated in the rising sun.. Beautiful..

I agree,, there is a slight tilt..though..

I love the way you set her apart from the background..clap.gifclap

Best of luck
    Kat
    edited April 28, 2009
    Hi Paul! You got it!! I thought maybe someone would figure it out when I mentioned the speedlight!! And you are right about the tungsten wb and the gelled speedlight.

Yes, SS, the light came principally from a 580EX II gelled with what I think was a full CTO cut. Very good detective work on your part, though.

The WB/gell idea came from a photo of Joe's that is featured in his book, The Moment It Clicks. Using the speedlight to emulate sunlight came from The HotShoe Diaries.

I took a class with Joe in February, so his work has been much on my mind as I try to digest what I learned at the workshop and integrate it into my kind of shooting (which is definitely not Joe's - no one is hiring me to photograph famous sports figures, illustrate National Geographic articles, do glamour photos with high paid models, or run workshops around the world for that matter lol).

Thanks for your kind comments, Kat. I will fix the tilt when I get back to Boston at the end of the week.

Virginia

Email
    edited May 3, 2009
    Now that I am home and able to look at the photo on my desktop, I see that the original is, indeed, crooked. In addition to straightening it, I have brightened it a bit.

Any thoughts on the latest version?

527272424_7brEN-L.jpg

Thanks!

Virginia

Email
  • whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2009
    Beautiful (still can't believe that's not sunlight!) thumb.gif

I don't know though if I prefer the lightened version. I keep flipping back and forth between page 1 and 2 of this thread to try and convince myself one way or the other. I think though I'm leaning toward the original.ne_nau.gif
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
    edited May 3, 2009
    Thanks, Whiterice. I appreciate your stopping by.

I kinda like the first version too. It is certainly more dramatic.

I've entered the second version because I think it works better as a photograph overall, but maybe not as an emulation of McNally's work. Still got a few hours to decide!!

Virginia

Email
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2009
    I definately prefer the first one, but if the second is a better emulation, it may be best to stick with it.