Options

Question on Lens Image Stabilization Working Against You

KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
edited April 27, 2009 in Technique
ok,, I am reading this book and it has some straight forward facts about obtaining tack sharp images..

there is one issue in the book that discusses lens image stabilization.. It is said that this technology works against you when shooting on a tripod because it is so still that the lens begins to send out vibrations hunting for movement.

Just wanted to get everyone's take on that.:thumb

Kat

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,860 moderator
    edited April 27, 2009
    ok,, I am reading this book and it has some straight forward facts about obtaining tack sharp images..

there is one issue in the book that discusses lens image stabilization.. It is said that this technology works against you when shooting on a tripod because it is so still that the lens begins to send out vibrations hunting for movement.

Just wanted to get everyone's take on that.thumb.gif

Kat

Kat,

"Some" IS lenses do detect when they are mounted on a tripod and some do not. Some lenses have 2 modes of IS operation, and one of those modes allows tracking stabilization which may be used in conjunction with a tripod.

You really need to investigate against any lenses you own to determine whether the IS system tolerates tripod operation or not.

As a rule, it is generally best to turn off the IS system in tripod/monopod operation. A tripod has the potential for much better stabilization anyway.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2009
    Thanks Ziggy
    Thank you..

I will be keeping that in mind and best to know now before i start to invest in lenses... I'm just working with the canon normal lenses right now.

Thank you for the clarification.. :D

Kat
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2009
    For Canon, the older generation of IS found in 28-135mm IS and 100-400mm IS cannot recognize that it's on a tripod and does not turn itself off. Hence shooting on a tripod with these lenses may lead to more shake if you have the IS on.

All the other lenses in Canon's current line up use newer generation of IS designs (IIRC) and they turn themselves off if they are on a tripod, so that you do not have to turn the IS off, although I would probably do so, just to be sure.
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2009
    Got it Thanks
    thanks for the input Tee Why.. It is nice to know that the newer lenses address this problem. However, to stay on the safe side, I agree, try to remember to turn it off.. yes...thumb.gif

you guys have been great..

thanks for the input and confirmation.

Kat