How many photos? Way of thinking....

ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
edited April 27, 2009 in Mind Your Own Business
Another thread got me thinking about how different photographers think about the number of photos to make for a client.

in this thread How many images to provide the customer?

The OP asked how many images to present to a client.

My knee jerk reaction was to not promise anything, just promise my time and you get what you get. Cygnus studios made me think more about that and reviewing my packages I realized that I do in fact promise a ridiculously low number of images. Looking at Cygnus studios website he seems to promise nothing but put a maximum on images...

This got me thinking about how we are doing business. Deliver a set amount, on more no less. Promise a vague range of photos and hope to not disappoint? Shoot on spec alone?

Personally I am doing two things this year. Offering packages and shooting on spec. I have pricing different for both of those as well.

For example.

My packages are a set amount of time with a ridiculously low number of finished images. The rest of the images I deem worthy will be displayed in semi finished fashion as proofs,as well as delivered to the client as 800x1200 files in the semi finished fashion (basically hit auto tone in LR). I also educate the client with a sample gallery on the different levels of PP so they can see an example of the improvements of buying a high resolution finished product from me.
Then as additions clients will be able to buy additional prints, high res disks, 4x6 printed proof books, etc.. from me at a reduced cost. After all they already paid me up front for some of the work.

My on spec work, or for anyone other than my client can buy any image from my website at an increased cost. After all I already spent all the time on creating the image and have received nothing from it yet.

So what is your thinking behind the number of images to show your clients. If you offer packages and spec shooting do the print prices vary?

Just curious here.
Failed to load the poll.