#24 Need C&C please with this

cjmchchcjmchch Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
edited May 3, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
In an effort to better my photography I felt that maybe this photo was worthy of entering this round. There are numerous photographers that I could say I am trying to emulate but in relaity I am trying to emulate them all. I suppose if there was one person who's work I aspire to it would be none other than Ron Coscorrosa. I love his work, his artistry and the very fine detail he manages. Any C&C's would be much appreciated.

The original can be found here:

520280056_J7wj7-XL.jpg
Canon - Manfrotto - Pocketwizard - Sekonic - Westcott - Hoya - Singh Ray

http://chrismckayphotography.com

Comments

• sdways01sdways01 Registered Users Posts: 151 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2009
    This is a great image. I can see how you are trying to emulate him (and why). The only problem I see with this "emulation" is that in the work I have seen from Ron, he normally has more colors in the skies in his photos. Of course it is the style not actual images you are trying to emulate. Either way, good job.
    http://www.adamclarkmedia.com

"If you saw a man drowning and you could either save him or photograph the event...what kind of film would you use?" - Anonymous
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2009
    I like it Chris. thumb.gifthumb.gif Your use of two filters appears to have allowed you the slow exposure that Ron uses to get such cool effects. I too love his work, and I think your photo is an excellent entry. One very tiny nit is the horizon level. It appears to be slightly elevated on the right side (I could be wrong).

Dan

PS I take back my comment on the horizon. It is an optical illusion.
  • KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2009
    oH mY
    This is gorgeous...........clap.gif

Kuddos on the way you framed the composition with the birds in the foreground.... and I love the way the light spills onto the end of the bridge, it adds drama to the depth effect with the bridge coming out of the dark.

Is this panorama Just curious?

Kat
  • cjmchchcjmchch Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2009
    Thanks for the comments! I have a couple of lens dirt spots viewable on the large view that I will remove and maybe will try and take the pink tinge out of the sky, apart from that I think I'll leave as is.

As for the panorama, its cropped that way. I just deleted dead sky and excess foreground to bring the pier into focal point range. There was a third seagull in the foreground slightly to the right that I cropped out because the 10 second exposure rendered too much motion and detracted from the shot.

Once again thanks. I'll resubmit my enhanced version a little later.

edited April 28, 2009
    super
    I agree on the sky, just a little bit maybe.. wonderful photo...

Best of luck to you on the competition.wings.gif

Kat
    edited May 2, 2009
    So after much deliberation and many failed attempts at getting the pink out of the sky I thought well Ron uses B&W a lot so I'll try that. Thoughts on this B&W conversion??

526051326_BZiJ8-XL.jpg

• hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2009
    I think I like the color version. On my monitor you seem to have lost some detail on the right side in the sky and the left seems a touch muddy.
    edited May 2, 2009
    Original was better....
    I liked the color version best.. I can see what happens when you try to remove that pink, even with selective color I am sure it is giving you a problem because it is probably bringing out the "noise" in the shadows of the clouds.. but this is too soft to make a good black and white conversion... it went very flat..

I would just work with the pinkish in the sky, besides I think it is beautiful and goes well with the tans and browns and peach colors..

I like the original better.. just my opinion..

best of luck to you in the competition...thumb.gif

Kat
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2009
    I also really liked the warmth in the color version. thumb.gif
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2009
    I also really liked the warmth in the color version. thumb.gif

Ditto!