"Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix

Comments

• AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2009
    WOW! Gorgeous! :jawdrop
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited April 28, 2009
    Most of them are excellent. Thanks for the link.
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2009
    What's with the "Hate"?
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2009
    Mitchell wrote:
    What's with the "Hate"?

Depends on your preferences if you learn something from portraits like these, or hate them. For some they hit the 'love 'em' button, for others it'd be more 'overdone', 'unnatural', etc, etc. Whatever.

I don't like most of them, and the others I don't like much either!:D A lot of them are like masks, theatrical masks which present a character other than the personality of the wearer, stiff and set, and masks because they don't reveal anything, just like superficial fashions don't reveal anything of the wearer. Most of the faces are objects you can admire, products of dramatic and cosmetic techniques. Therefore, to my mind, not *portraits* at all.

The others lack a reason for being. The most important thing about having a face is that it is capable of communicating, par excellence! If a face communicates nothing it is not really a face, that's logical. It is a round fleshy mass with certain features common to frogs, fish, baboons... Is that interesting? No, it isn't. Except as an artefact, as in the paragraph above.

So, I learn something from these photographs about style and technique and processing and subterfuge and manipulation and boredom. I can admire some of it at the same time I basically hate most of it.

That's me! (I am painfully aware my own attempts at portraiture are failing for some of these reasons. I'm struggling!)

You?

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2009
    Thank for the link, Neil! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2009
    I think this is completely subjective. Personally, I love Jing Na - I even have her photobook. I admire what she does, which is fashion photography. I even follow her blog and her deviantArt. But the blog writer makes it seem like what was posted was the best kind of portraiture. It seems to lean toward fashion photography, and there is more to portraiture than that.

(BTW, if I could, I would be a fashion photographer ^_^ I love doing editorials :D)

And I did love most of the photographs posted, but I don't think they - in their contrived, beautiful way - necessarily comprise a "portrait."
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2009
    marikris wrote:
    I think this is completely subjective. Personally, I love Jing Na - I even have her photobook. I admire what she does, which is fashion photography. I even follow her blog and her deviantArt. But the blog writer makes it seem like what was posted was the best kind of portraiture. It seems to lean toward fashion photography, and there is more to portraiture than that.

(BTW, if I could, I would be a fashion photographer ^_^ I love doing editorials :D)

And I did love most of the photographs posted, but I don't think they - in their contrived, beautiful way - necessarily comprise a "portrait."

Nicely put. marikris. I agree. I confess I would like to be able to produce stuff like these, but I think I would soon get bored. Of course, if it was my job I'd have to keep on churning it out. And as we've all heard, necessity is the mother of invention.:D It's an industry which has become through its own kind of necessity very clever, brilliant, stunning!

I was interested to read you recognised one of these photographers. The site has a choice from different places round the world. I wonder what's happening in fashion photography in Sth America, say Argentina or Brazil? If you can find other showcases like this I'm sure we would interested.