Help Choosing A Printer

JCWJCW Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited April 28, 2009 in Digital Darkroom
I need some advice with choosing a good printer. I am using a Canon 4300 now and it kicks out some nice prints. However, I want to print a little larger and am looking at the 13x19 sizes. Knowing there are differences in the inks (dye and pigment) I am not sure what would be the best option for my needs. I am an advanced amateur who shoots color and bw, print mostly for home, friends, family and occasionally for sale at art shows etc. The printers I am looking at are the Canon Pixma 9000, 9500, Epson 1400, 1900, and 2880.

I would appreciate any suggestions as I would prefer not to spend $800 for a printer if I could get decent quality out of a $400 printer.

Thanks,
JCW

Comments

• colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2009
    I've had a number of Epsons and my experience is that you get what you pay for; the higher-end models are better built and have fewer problems. I got really frustrated with the $400 Epsons, I wonder if they're better built now. The $700 and up Epsons are much more satisfying. Obviously if you want a pigment Epson you are looking at the 1800 or the 2880.

You will want to consider printing volume in your decision. If you make few prints, spend less money on the printer. If you will always be making many prints, the more expensive printers become more economical by ink cost alone. Factor in the cost of ink over the years you plan to keep the printer.

This page might be getting old, but the following comparison is on it:
    LIKE GETTING A FREE PRINTER UPGRADE... Although the Epson 3800 is $445 more expensive than the Epson R2400 ($850), the 3800 comes with $450 more ink than the R2400 (and at a lower cost per millimeter) -- so it's almost like getting a free printer upgrade when you're willing to buy the Epson 3800 (17") over the Epson R2400 (13").

Here's a comparison of costs per milliliter of ink, at Manufacturer Suggested Retail Prices (MSRP):

$1.35 / ml with HP B9180 ink cartridges (27 ml carts)
    $0.95 / ml with Epson R2400 ink cartridges (15 ml carts)
    $0.75 / ml with Epson 3800 ink cartridges (80 ml carts)
    $0.65 / ml with Epson 110 ml ink cartridges used in 4800/7800/9800
    $0.58 / ml with Canon iPF5000 ink cartridges (130 ml carts)
    $0.51 / ml with Epson 220 ml ink cartridges used in 4800/7800/9800
  • hiroProtagonisthiroProtagonist Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited April 27, 2009
    JCW wrote:
    I need some advice with choosing a good printer. I am using a Canon 4300 now and it kicks out some nice prints. However, I want to print a little larger and am looking at the 13x19 sizes. Knowing there are differences in the inks (dye and pigment) I am not sure what would be the best option for my needs. I am an advanced amateur who shoots color and bw, print mostly for home, friends, family and occasionally for sale at art shows etc. The printers I am looking at are the Canon Pixma 9000, 9500, Epson 1400, 1900, and 2880.

I would appreciate any suggestions as I would prefer not to spend $800 for a printer if I could get decent quality out of a $400 printer.

Thanks,
    JCW
    I bought my first $800 printer, an Epson 2880, a month ago and couldn't be happier. I'd seen colourbox's advise before but I'm not sure how much printing you need to do before buying a 3800 pays off but I doubt that I do enough for it to matter much either way. My only disappointment so far was throwing away the box it came in before I remembered I'd need the UPC code for the rebate. When it comes to the R1900 v. the R2880 the latter is the way to go if B&W is important to you.
    "But you and I, we’ve been through that, and this is not our fate. - Dylan 1968"
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited April 28, 2009
    colourbox wrote:
    I've had a number of Epsons and my experience is that you get what you pay for; the higher-end models are better built and have fewer problems. I got really frustrated with the $400 Epsons, I wonder if they're better built now. The $700 and up Epsons are much more satisfying. Obviously if you want a pigment Epson you are looking at the 1800 or the 2880.

You will want to consider printing volume in your decision. If you make few prints, spend less money on the printer. If you will always be making many prints, the more expensive printers become more economical by ink cost alone. Factor in the cost of ink over the years you plan to keep the printer.

This page might be getting old, but the following comparison is on it:

With that rebate on the Epson 3800, that would influence me. A lot. You get a lot of prints with the ink that comes with the printer, even after it charges the lines to get things going. The 3800 has performed great, and I print a fair amount at 15 x 21.75 inches.

I have used the Epson 3800 quite a bit over the last year, after replacing my Epson Stylus 4000.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin