Single Bluebell

Paul IddonPaul Iddon Registered Users Posts: 5,129 Major grins
edited April 28, 2009 in Holy Macro
My daughter had picked some bluebells on her way home from school today, and they were stood in a (wine!) glass of water on the sink drainer when I got home from work.

I decided to have a go at isolating one stem of the flowers, and in particular the two foremost blooms as it sat in my holder (a small toy watering can). I used only the light in the kitchen and bounced some light into the front two flowers with a small silver reflector.

I further worked on the front two blooms by selecting them and popping them onto a new layer (ALT-J) and then used a high pass filter to try to separate the detail away from the others a little bit.

Then I flattened the layers and repeated the selection and inversed it, then ran a NR on the selected background (even though used ISO 200) and then used a very slight guassian blur to soften those remaining bluebells, and then flattened and saved, and then resized etc for web.

C&C as always allowed.

800blue2.jpg

Exif:

Camera Make: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS 400D DIGITAL
Image Date: 2009:04:27 23:34:08
Flash Used: No
Focal Length: 105.0mm
CCD Width: 4.58mm
Exposure Time: 0.077 s (1/13)
Aperture: f/3.5
ISO equiv: 200
Exposure Bias: -1.00
White Balance: Auto
Exposure: aperture priority (semi-auto)

Paul.

Link to my personal website: http://www.pauliddon.co.uk

Comments

• MisterMcCruffMisterMcCruff Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited April 28, 2009
    Beautiful capture and PP on the flowers but personally I'm not too keen on the murky background - I think a green would be more complementary to the purple of the flowers.
    :)
    Cameras: Gripped 30D, EOS 33 35mm, Ricoh KR10, Sony DSC-H7.
    Lenses:
    Canon 17-40mm f/4 L USM, Canon 50mm f/1.8 II, Canon 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Canon 100mm f/2.8 USM.
    Lighting:
    Canon 430EX II, Nikon SB24, Konig stand, Stofen omnibounce, 33" brolly, DIY beauty dish + diffusers.
    Misc: UV+CPL filters, reverse mount adapters, Velbon tripod. Photoshop CS3

*clicky flickr clicky*
  • Paul IddonPaul Iddon Registered Users Posts: 5,129 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2009

Paul.

Link to my personal website: http://www.pauliddon.co.uk