A couple city shots

dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
edited April 30, 2009 in Landscapes
I haven't taken any new pictures for over a month so here's some more old stuff. I wish I wasn't so busy all the time. Although, I have to admit that I spent this past weekend doing absolutely nothing. I guess I also wish that I wasn't so lazy...

Anyway, here are a couple from last June. I was lucky in that I captured both in the same day (or night, I should say). The first was shot at Rizal Bridge for sunset. I then rushed to Kerry Park because I heard that on that particular night, the moon was to rise behind the Space Needle. Sure enough, it happened.

What are your thoughts?

2591740301_2fa7db5872_o.jpg

2594538928_27605a70c9_o.jpg

Comments

• Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2009
    Wow!! These are absolutely outstanding. I've never seen a close-up of the needle... very nice indeed. clap.gifclap Now get out there and shoot.

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2009
    Exquisite Daniel. Love how you got the moon behind the needle clap.gifclap.gif
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2009
    stunning.

exif data on #2 pls:D
    Aaron Nelson
  • dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2009
    Thanks everyone!
    stunning.

exif data on #2 pls:D

I had to do a rather complicated manual blend of three exposures. One of the Moon itself, another for the sky around the Moon, and the third was for the Space Needle. The Moon's size and placement are exactly the same as in the originals. The differences in light levels were far too great for a single shot. There were a lot of photographers shooting this scene that night so a week later I searched for results on both Flickr and Google and found that the moon was blown out in almost all the images I saw of this scene. I just wanted to present something a little different.

Here's the relevant EXIF data that all three exposures share:
    Canon 40D
    Sigma 100-300 f/4 @ 276mm and f/6.3
    ISO 100
    exposures < 1 second

I chose ISO 100 because I wanted to keep the noise low, as this was shot in dark conditions with the 40D.
    I had to make sure the exposure was less than a second long to keep the Moon from motion blurring at this long focal length. To achieve this, f/6.3 was the most I could stop the lens down.

I hope this was the information you were looking for. :D
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2009
    They are both very nice.
    I like the first one more b/c of the dynamic leading lines that leads up to the city/buildings.
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2009
    I like both, I've done that same composition on #1, it's my favorite comp from the bridge. The needle shot is awesome, good call on the double exposure, otherwise it wouldn't have been as dramatic.

But what I'm really curious is where do you hear about the moon rising behind the space needle at Kerry Park? Is there some mailing list I need to be on for such things? :D
    edited April 29, 2009
    coscorrosa wrote:
    I like both, I've done that same composition on #1, it's my favorite comp from the bridge. The needle shot is awesome, good call on the double exposure, otherwise it wouldn't have been as dramatic.

But what I'm really curious is where do you hear about the moon rising behind the space needle at Kerry Park? Is there some mailing list I need to be on for such things? :D

It's called the internet, sir. :D
    I guess only in June does the full moon rise behind the Space Needle. If I had been there a few days earlier I would have had the opportunity to capture it shortly after sunset. I think I'll try for that this year.
  • annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    edited April 29, 2009
    Spectacular, both of them. Great work with the triple exposure! clap.gif

Ana
    Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero Manager
    My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2009
    dseidman wrote:
    Thanks everyone!

I had to do a rather complicated manual blend of three exposures. One of the Moon itself, another for the sky around the Moon, and the third was for the Space Needle. The Moon's size and placement are exactly the same as in the originals. The differences in light levels were far too great for a single shot. There were a lot of photographers shooting this scene that night so a week later I searched for results on both Flickr and Google and found that the moon was blown out in almost all the images I saw of this scene. I just wanted to present something a little different.

Here's the relevant EXIF data that all three exposures share:
    Canon 40D
    Sigma 100-300 f/4 @ 276mm and f/6.3
    ISO 100
    exposures < 1 second

I chose ISO 100 because I wanted to keep the noise low, as this was shot in dark conditions with the 40D.
    I had to make sure the exposure was less than a second long to keep the Moon from motion blurring at this long focal length. To achieve this, f/6.3 was the most I could stop the lens down.

I hope this was the information you were looking for. :D

thanks! very helpful info. clearly great work you have there! how did you do such a clean job on the railings and metal poles up top (did you use a select tool? or did you do some brushing?)
    Aaron Nelson
  • Nihil_DicitNihil_Dicit Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited April 30, 2009
    Very nice shots!

Basic question tho - which city is this?
    edited April 30, 2009
    annnna8888 wrote:
    Spectacular, both of them. Great work with the triple exposure! clap.gif

Ana

Thanks for the comment, Ana!

thanks! very helpful info. clearly great work you have there! how did you do such a clean job on the railings and metal poles up top (did you use a select tool? or did you do some brushing?)

I originally did gradient type blends to get the moon and the surrounding brightness to look natural. Of course this left halos and other weird look spots around smooth edges so I had to go back and modify the layer mask using the magic wand and lasso tool mostly.

Very nice shots!

Basic question tho - which city is this?

Thanks. This is Seattle, Washington.