LaCie feedback - Please.

D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
edited May 1, 2009 in Digital Darkroom
I've been buying and upgrading a lot of gear lately. Yesterday it was time for a PC that would work in a timely matter AND a new moniter that would allow me to "take it all in" from.

I purchased a LaCie 324.

One thing I noticed, is; when I calibrated it and the screen goes to complete black, I see one little tiny spec of white in the upper RH corner (size of a pin-prick)... Is this a dead LCD?

I never see it at any other time and believe me, I try very hard to do so.

Another thing; the user software wont run (using Vista). It seems to want Adobe Reader 8.1 to open it (prompts me to start D/L) but then suddenly stops with a msg that I already have a 'better' version (9), and promply quits, without opening the disk.

I've tried to run individual files..... No luck........ This frustrates me even more than that little spec of white light does. :dunno

But not much. :rolleyes

Any feedback is highly valued and I'll be also looking for help from their tech dept.... I think there's contact info on the disk I can't open (AAAAARGH!)

Thanks.

PS. At this point, I would also like to hear what other users have to say about this moniter - Cheers!

Comments

• D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2009
    Ok..... I got an update D/L'ed from LaCie that accepts my version of Adobe Reader. It contained ICC's for the monitor but since I'm using colour management, it's not needed.

Still not sure about this little 'turd' of white light. IIRC, I once saw a dead light on a screen yeaaars ago and I remember it being larger (???).
  • NewsyNewsy Registered Users Posts: 605 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2009
    D'Buggs wrote:
    Ok..... I got an update D/L'ed from LaCie that accepts my version of Adobe Reader. It contained ICC's for the monitor but since I'm using colour management, it's not needed.

Still not sure about this little 'turd' of white light. IIRC, I once saw a dead light on a screen yeaaars ago and I remember it being larger (???).

You can try to "exercise" the pixel away using software or a physical approach.

edit.... link > http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-a-Stuck-Pixel-on-an-LCD-Monitor

Software
    - google for a program that will rapidly cycle the monitor through a series of screens of various colours. The theory is that eventually the "stuck" pixel will unstick.

Physically
    - again google for this but essentially you lightly press on the area of the stuck pixel in order to massage the TFT matrix causing the pixel to unstick.

edited April 28, 2009
    Thanks, Newsy. Never would have thought it. :D
    edited May 1, 2009
    Well, after a series of manual monitor manipulations/massages,,, we have come to a happy ending. wings.gif :ivar

No more little white dot!!!
    Thanks, Newsy. clap.gif