Options

New Forum Suggestion - Who creates forums around here?

tsackmanntsackmann Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
edited June 8, 2005 in Dgrin Forum Support
Who's in charge here?

I'm interested in getting some honest critiques of my work without people feeling that they should just be nice and give comments like "nice shot" or just commenting on what's in the photo such as "my brother has a boat like that."

To get honest critiques I feel that digitalgrin would need a forum that was specifically made for that so people are more willing to give their honest opinion and so those who post will not be insulted.

I know that this is all subjective but if someone said that they found elements in my photo distracting or that I should have framed it a certain way to enhance the mood of the shot then that's something I can learn from.

I'm looking for a "no holds barred" forum for honest critiques... Any takers?

Comments

• Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2005
    tsackmann wrote:
    Who's in charge here?

I'm interested in getting some honest critiques of my work without people feeling that they should just be nice and give comments like "nice shot" or just commenting on what's in the photo such as "my brother has a boat like that."

To get honest critiques I feel that digitalgrin would need a forum that was specifically made for that so people are more willing to give their honest opinion and so those who post will not be insulted.

I know that this is all subjective but if someone said that they found elements in my photo distracting or that I should have framed it a certain way to enhance the mood of the shot then that's something I can learn from.

Post a piccie.
    Ask for what ya want, and hold on to your monitor :lol :D
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2005
    Yeah, just ask
    bfjr wrote:
    Post a piccie.
    Ask for what ya want, and hold on to your monitor :lol :D

Just post Don't say something unless it's critical!

or something like that, Laughing.gif.

It's true you won't learn unless you ask others specifically to give your photos an eagle eye and tell you what they don't like.

Whether they (the viewer) is an expert or not, even beginners have an opinion, and their's are equally important for you to get a full range of the visual impact (or not) of your photo.
  • Options
    Ben:::DBen:::D Registered Users Posts: 76 Big grins
    edited June 6, 2005
    Yeah, I think that you could just post your pic--in any one of the applicable forums--and just make it clear that you don't want any fluff. :thwak
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2005
    tsackmann wrote:
    Who's in charge here?

Hi tsack, what you seek is available in every forum. It's one of the reason dgrin exists.

Just find the forum that matches your subject matter, post your work in there and ask for feedback. Make sure folks know you want the unvarnished truth, because this crowd defaults towards being nice. Just make sure you can handle the input!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    johnojohno Registered Users Posts: 617 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2005
    True wxwax. If you ask... it will come.

You will get good advice from pro's to am's. Some will make sense and some will not. But it's good to know when someone is looking for honest evaluation.

peace.
    johno~
    If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
    ~Mother Teresa

Canon 1D Mark II / Canon 50D / Canon 30D / Canon G9
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS / Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L

blog
    johno's gallery
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2005
    What I would like and what I've done over at FM a few times is a poll feature.

I post the pic and set up a rating system with the poll and people can just choose what they think of the pic and\or comment on it

With this set up, you can get much more feed back and the lurkers will be much more apt to click on a choice if a pic really moves them one way or another.
  • Options
    behr655behr655 Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2005
    Maybe we need a forum called "The Whipping Post"

Bear
  • Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2005
    behr655 wrote:
    Maybe we need a forum called "The Whipping Post"

Bear
    I thought we did Whip.gificon10.gif
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2005
    I don't get to see every post, but I am more than willing to offer honest critique, especially when asked. So I agree with the others, post and then ask specifically for tough critique.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    MongrelMongrel Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2005
    I'm sorry but I have to add a comment or two here...
    I tried to comment on this last night, but we had a severe thunderstorm and well, you know what happens when the power lines are hung from the poles with thumbtacks umph.gif

Anyway, this *has to be* the funniest line I've read at dgrin so far:
    tsackmann wrote:
    Who's in charge here??
    I mean that is a classic. Something out of an old war movie, when the spit-shined officer shows up in the middle of a combat scene and looks out at a bunch of haggard warriors and demands to know. I love it.

Someone should have said:

"Yer lookin' for Captain Williams, he's out on patrol right now but he'll be back at dawn. You'll just have to wait GENERAL."

Here's another classic:
    tsackmann wrote:
    FIGHTING WORDS!!! (any takers?) How come no one suggested Fred Miranda? Let some of those guys have at 'em heheh.

Well, tsack gets my vote for winner of the de-lurk yourselves challenge thumb.gif
    He certainly shoots pitchas' and he has an 'attitude' rolleyes1.gif

oh, and tsack, welcome to Digital Grin dude!

Mongrel 'out'
    If every keystroke was a shutter press I'd be a pro by now...
  • Options
    tsackmanntsackmann Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited June 7, 2005
    Thanks to all. Other than the moments of intense pain it was a lot of fun.
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited June 7, 2005
    Todd,

Saw your thread requesting "no-holds-barred" critiques, in Cool Shots. Looks to me like you got quite a few useful comments. Were you looking for even more?

Please keep in mind that these forums are what you make them. Also, that you get out of it, what you put into it. There are many different levels of users here. Some folks would be crushed by extremely critical comments. Most of us respect that and keep it in mind when we comment. As members post more and more pics, and their skills improve, the comments get more focused and more critical. The underlying mission of the forum is to help people improve their photographic skills. You can't do that by constantly sugar coating responses. But, you don't have to blow people out of the water (or disenchant them) on their first few pic posts either.

If, like your last thread, you ask specifically for critical comments, you will get some. It looks like Shay spent at least 20 minutes, viewing your pics and typing his response. Instead of complaining about the lack of responses (or the laziness of the posters who didn't offer a critique) be thankful for the responses you got and for the time and effort that the posters put into those responses.

This is a friendly, knowledgable community, comprised of folks who will go out of their way to help a complete stranger. To my way of thinking, this is more than one could ask for. If you appreciate it, the way to pay the forum back is to do the same for others. Tell people what you think of their shots. Keeping in mind that you may be talking to a person with very little experience, or understanding of the art. IMO, you can be critical while still being polite clap.gif

If you find us to be too nice, you can always try some of the other sites that will offer a critique, whether you want one or not...lol. Like Fred Miranda or Photosig. You will get all the critcism you can bear and few people on those sites worry about tact or being polite.

I hope you like it here and that your post above wasn't a farewell. But, Dgrin isn't for everyone and I'll understand if it isn't your cup of tea ne_nau.gif

BTW and FWIW, I agree about needing a critique forum. thumb.gif Sort of like a Jolt Cola version of the normal forums...lol I've thought about it for a couple of months now and will discuss it with the other moderators.

As far as the question of "Who's in charge?" Why we all are, of course. Your suggestion has merit and if you have any other suggestions, all you have to do is post them. :D

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2005
    Todd,

BTW and FWIW, I agree about needing a critique forum. thumb.gif Sort of like a Jolt Cola version of the normal forums...lol I've thought about it for a couple of months now and will discuss it with the other moderators.

Steve
    Steve in my opinion a specific forum for critique won't work out. The more accomplished photographers don't have a use for it and the eager beavers like myself who are gluttons for punishment will post so many pics that the able critiquers will get bored with it. I hope I am wrong because it would be a cool thing to have...
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2005
    tsackmann wrote:
    Thanks to all. Other than the moments of intense pain it was a lot of fun.

that's the spririt! so, where's your next post - free skin salve all week long eh deal.gif

lol3.gif
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2005
    4labs wrote:
    and the eager beavers like myself who are gluttons for punishment will post so many pics that the able critiquers will get bored with it.
    Maybe limit it to one photo per person per week? That would force the critiquees to select wisely and not overwhelm the critiquers.

My concern is that then the other forums might suffer. The usual critiquers (who are great!) might not be as forthcoming.
    Chris
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2005
    "Ask.."
    tsackmann wrote:
    "..and thou shalt recieve".
    Any Shot forum will do. Where do I start?:D
    "May the f/stop be with you!"