Interesting Statue

Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
edited April 29, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
Last weekend we took a drive to New Bedford where I spent the first twenty years of my life. Once a thriving whaling town, it is now home to hundreds of commercial fishing boats (draggers and scallopers) that have made it the number one fishing port in the country in terms of the dollar value of it's catch.

"At the entrance to Tonnessen Park (on the docks) is the ten foot, 2,000 pound statue of a mythical sea god and marine life designed by noted American Sculptor Anna Hyatt Huntington (1876-1973). In 1962, Ms. Huntington offered the statue to the city as a memorial “…to those seamen who’s only graves are the ocean floor.” The statue was publicly dedicated as a “Memorial to the Whalemen and Fishermen.” The top of the statue shows a mythical sea god holding a cod in his left hand and a sturgeon in his right. Further down the statue are many examples of marine life found in all seven seas, including a scallop, lobster, clam, octopus, and sea turtle."

Click on the image below to see a larger version showing more detail.

521446702_ZMcmn-L.jpg

Jack
(My real name is John but Jack'll do)

Comments

• MnemosyneMnemosyne Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2009
    With the sea life and marine motif, I'm guessing it's Poseidon or Neptune. MAYBE Triton
    Audentes fortuna iuvat
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2009
    Hi jack......Nice shot of a really interesting statue....thumb.gif azzaro
  • Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2009
    I really like it Jack! I wonder how it would like HDR, but not over done...It is a totally beautiful shot!