Options

Some ATV mud bogging.

ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
edited April 28, 2009 in Sports
Haldimand, ontario. The Haldimand and Ontario ATVclubs had an ATV expo. ATV pulling contest, kinda dull, and mud bogging. As well of course dealers set up all over the p[lace.

Was there with family so it was simply a learning experience for me. Taking pictures with one eye, the other keeping track of my 4 year old.

Made a whole lot of mistakes, most fixed reasonably with post, but many time too much cropping to fix :( So would love some feedback from people with some dirt and mud experience. Hoping to get out and do some motocross shooting this year.

523251691_Rkxwf-L.jpg

523250978_dg3Nd-L.jpg

523248684_VJf86-L.jpg

More from the day can be seen at here.

Comments

• Options
    b08rsab08rsa Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2009
    First shot really gave me a feeling that I was swimming in Mud. Nice shot.

Ron A.
    nod.gif
    Sony A7ii, Sigma 24mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens, Sony FE85mm f/1.8 Lens, Sony FE 28-70 mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Lens, Godox 860iiS Flash.
  • Options
    ErbemanErbeman Registered Users Posts: 926 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2009
    Well, lets see. I looked at your album and the first thing that I noticed was that I don't imagine that you are using a CP filter are you? This would have helped cut down all of that glare from the top of the mud as well as given a bit more saturation to the colors. I think maybe you should also have tried to really slow the shutter down in a few to show the tires spinning with mud flying. Most all of the photos are from the same position. Get some different angles. In alot of them, it looked as if you were shooting towards the light. Try to always keep the light at your back, this for one will keep the subject in the light. It will also keep the sky from looking white. I wasn't there so I don't have a clue as to the conditions you had. Maybe you did the very best with what you had. I am not saying that you did anything wrong. I'm just suggesting things that I would have tried to do. But, take that with a grain of salt, as I'm no authority on ATV mudbogging by any means. Either way, thanks for sharing your album.
    Come see my Photos at:
    http://www.RussErbePhotography.com :thumb
    http://www.sportsshooter.com/erbeman

D700, D300, Nikkor 35-70 F/2.8, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8, Nikkor 70-200 AF-S VR F/2.8, Nikkor AF-S 1.7 teleconverter II,(2) Profoto D1 500 Air,SB-900, SB-600, (2)MB-D10, MacBook Pro
  • Options
    rhondavidrhondavid Registered Users Posts: 433 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2009
    Mom is not gonna be happy with mud all over their clothes:D

Nice set.
    David

D40
    18 - 55 kit lens
    55- 200 VR kit lens
    Lots of desires
  • Options
    ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2009
    Erbeman wrote:
    Well, lets see. I looked at your album and the first thing that I noticed was that I don't imagine that you are using a CP filter are you? This would have helped cut down all of that glare from the top of the mud as well as given a bit more saturation to the colors. I think maybe you should also have tried to really slow the shutter down in a few to show the tires spinning with mud flying. Most all of the photos are from the same position. Get some different angles. In alot of them, it looked as if you were shooting towards the light. Try to always keep the light at your back, this for one will keep the subject in the light. It will also keep the sky from looking white. I wasn't there so I don't have a clue as to the conditions you had. Maybe you did the very best with what you had. I am not saying that you did anything wrong. I'm just suggesting things that I would have tried to do. But, take that with a grain of salt, as I'm no authority on ATV mudbogging by any means. Either way, thanks for sharing your album.

These shots were done around 2 pm in direct BRIGHT sunlight. So not really possible to get sun at my back, it was pretty much overhead and did I mention bright. All four of us left there with sunburns :(

I completely forgot and did not think about putting on a CP. Makes sense with glare off the mud and water.

I did try to slow the shutter down a bit, but did I mention it was bright? I was already overexposing everything by close to a full stop. Mostly on purpose though to get at the faces and knowing I could tone it down a lot in post, shooting RAW rocks.

Positions were rough. Since I was acting dad first, photographer second, I was not moving much and staying accessible to my wife with stroller and my 4 year old. These wee basically taken in two locations. Small set of stands, I stood on the back row. The better position, imo, was on the ground shooting through a fence, just a wooden thing no obstructions to the lens.

Thanks for the comments.

One of the problems I did have, and not notice till post. It seemed that no matter what the orientation, portrait/landscape I had it wrong:( So too many of these pictures were shot portrait then cropped landscape.
    Also more of these work nicer in a 8x10 crop. I try to do my original cropping keeping it the same aspect as the camera produces though.