Options

Photoshop Help

samransamran Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
edited April 30, 2009 in Finishing School
I just got Photoshop CS4. I am learning how to use it. I have noticed in several photographer's work a tecnhique that I would like to learn. Essentially, it looks the photographer brightens the whole picture. It doesn't look blurred, but it is really soft. Anyone know how to do this? I would love the help.
Thanks,
Samantha

Comments

• Options
    the Pixel Doctorthe Pixel Doctor Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited April 28, 2009
    samran wrote:
    I just got Photoshop CS4. I am learning how to use it. I have noticed in several photographer's work a tecnhique that I would like to learn. Essentially, it looks the photographer brightens the whole picture. It doesn't look blurred, but it is really soft. Anyone know how to do this? I would love the help.
    Thanks,
    Samantha
    Hard to tell what you mean by brightens the whole picture but sounds like you need to make a levels adjustment. You can also use curves but if you're just staring out curves can be intimidating to say the least. Learning how to use CS4? Photoshop has about a 25 year learning curve Laughing.gif.

Sounds like you need to start with the basics.

There are tons of tutorials online some good, some bad, some great.

I suggest you scoot on over to http://www.thedigitalphotographyconnection.com/

and click on the Photoshop tab. There are a whole slew of really good video tutorials. Watch 'em all and be amazed at the power of Photoshop.

If you want more urls to good tute sights let me know.

Hope this helps.

Dennis
    aka: the Pixel Doctor

http://thepixeldoctor.smugmug.com
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited April 28, 2009
    Samantha,

Your request is a little vague as to what you are really wanting to learn. There are at least a dozen different ways to lighten an image in Photoshop.

I suggest you post a link to the images you are asking about, so that your responders do not have to try to guess what you are referring to. OK?

Here is a whole page of tutorials on Photoshop right here on dgrin. - http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/6885600_qzSwN

Learning to drive Photoshop well, is a learning experience that continues over an extended period of time. To make it easier, just about when you begin to get it figured out, Adobe brings out a newer version, and you get to start over againthumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2009
    You'll want to post some examples of what you are seeing. Otherwise everyone will interpret your request differently. For example, your description makes me think of when people run the Diffuse Glow filter. Things get lighter and softer, but not necessarily blurred. But I have no idea if that is the actual effect you are seeing.
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2009
    Try under "Enhance", pick "Adjust Lighting" and then the "Shadows/Highlights" feature.

Turn the "midtone contrast" slider to the left to get the soft focus look. It may not work with some images but tends to work with most.
  • Options
    D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2009
    samran;

I do best with book in hand. The digi-editing 'thang' is somewhat new to me too. I 'played' w/ PSE 5 for a couple years, thinking that as I stumbled, I'd also learn. NOT! I really accomplished little.

I've now turned a new leaf.... I'm still not hooked up w/ PS (just PSE 7) but a week ago I bought a dedicated "how to" book on the program, and have to admit, I've gained more in 7 days than I have in the past two years! I FINALLY feel like I'm a part of the learning curve, not just someone standing there, looking at it.

The book I bought was done by; Scott kelly and Matt Kloskowski. It cost a fair bit of $$$ from chapters (~$70.00 CAD) but worth every penny IMO, and I *think* they did one on PS 4......

Hope this helps - G'Luck!
  • Options
    hiroProtagonisthiroProtagonist Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited April 29, 2009
    samran wrote:
    Thanks,
    Samantha

Not sure if this is what you are looking todo but I'll throw this sugestion in as well. Open the picture in Camera Raw (it comes with PS).

Boost the exposure/brightness to your liking.

Drag the clarity slidder all the way to the left. Pull back to the right if this makes the shot too soft.

Readjust exposure / recovery / shadows / fill as neccessary.
    "But you and I, we’ve been through that, and this is not our fate. - Dylan 1968"
  • Options
    samransamran Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2009
    Maybe this helps
    Thanks to everyone that responded. I will follow your advice and give you a couple of examples of the photographs that I would love to learn how to do the techniques on in Photoshop. The photographer's website is www.artistiphotography.com.

If you click on her gallery link, then senior pics, then the second pic on the left, top row. It's black and white but almost looks soft and grainy at the same time. Anyone know how she did that.

Also, if you click on the "Weddings" tab, then click on page 4, and then the third picture from the right on the bottom row. It is a picture of a bride standing on a dock by herself with her arm raised up. The photographer has the subject and surrounding area soft and vibrant. This is what I was asking about previously. Any clue how she did it?

Thanks so much everyone!
    Samantha
    Not sure if this is what you are looking todo but I'll throw this sugestion in as well. Open the picture in Camera Raw (it comes with PS).

Boost the exposure/brightness to your liking.

Drag the clarity slidder all the way to the left. Pull back to the right if this makes the shot too soft.

Readjust exposure / recovery / shadows / fill as neccessary.
  • Options
    the Pixel Doctorthe Pixel Doctor Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited April 29, 2009
    sooo many ways...
    samran wrote:
    Thanks to everyone that responded. I will follow your advice and give you a couple of examples of the photographs that I would love to learn how to do the techniques on in Photoshop. The photographer's website is www.artistiphotography.com.

If you click on her gallery link, then senior pics, then the second pic on the left, top row. It's black and white but almost looks soft and grainy at the same time. Anyone know how she did that.

Also, if you click on the "Weddings" tab, then click on page 4, and then the third picture from the right on the bottom row. It is a picture of a bride standing on a dock by herself with her arm raised up. The photographer has the subject and surrounding area soft and vibrant. This is what I was asking about previously. Any clue how she did it?

Thanks so much everyone!
    Samantha

In Photoshop there are about a zillion ways to do the same thing. Different folks take different approaches. Depends on the style you develop. If it's special effects you are looking to achieve such as the two you mentioned then once you have acquired a solid foundation in the basics of Photoshop get yourself some top notch plugins. You can do the efects you mentioned with this plugin:

http://www.niksoftware.com/colorefexpro/usa/entry.php

It's on of the top five that I use. A lot of the images in my galleries (http://thepixeldoctor.smugmug.com) are done with Color efex Pro 3.0 (and/or a combination of many plugins in addition to CS4 manipulations).

Be careful as to what you buy for plugins because there are a LOT out there. Some really good, some bad and some just so-so.

The first image you mentioned is kind of high-key in a way with a touch of glamour glow and blown out highlights.

The second has a bunch of things going on with glamour glow and white neutralization, levels, probably some layer masking and the list goes on and on.

There is no "cookbook" recipe. Well, maybe for some images. It's an art. And everyone develops their own styles. You have to learn, learn, learn and develop your own style. It takes lots of time and LOTS of patience and trial and error. It can be very intimidating at first but it gets better and easier. It really does. If there's one word I would use it's perseverence.

If you want to learn a lot about Photoshop then subscribe to
    https://www.kelbytraining.com/

It's VERY reasonable and will keep you busy learning for quite a while.

Good Luck and Happy Photoshopping!

Dennis
    aka: the Pixel Doctor
  • Options
    picturegirlpicturegirl Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2009
    To me (and I'm no expert) it looks like high contrast, bright exposure and the Diffuse Glow filter which in CS4 is located FILTER/DISTORT/DIFFUSE GLOW. Examles of how I have used that Diffuse Glow filter. You can play with the settings to make it softer or more harsh, less grain, more grain etc...Just like others have said you have to play with more than just one setting or one filter to get the look you are shooting for/

519856745_6uXBd-S.jpg
    <br>
    310622425_HFeoz-S-1.jpg
    <br>
    524948654_vFr4T-S.jpg