Options

Please critique my shots - Brutal honesty is welcome :)

tsackmanntsackmann Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
edited June 8, 2005 in Holy Macro
Please critique my shots. This gallery has the shots of mine that I think are my best but I've been looking at them way too long.

At the least I'd be interested in any suggestions of which ones you think should stay in my "best of" gallery and which one's should be limited to my refrigerator. You can reference them by # if you wish. (1,2,3 are good) (4,5,6 keep on fridge)

ALSO... if you want to give me your honest opinion of any of them or anything you see lacking in all of them please let me know.
Brutal (artistic) honesty is appreciated.

Please view the whole gallery but here are some small thumbnails:

24026588-Ti.jpg 24186348-Ti.jpg23805198-Ti.jpg 23805359-Ti.jpg11081935-Ti.jpg11081997-Ti.jpg21331485-Ti.jpg21332008-Ti-1.jpg11082123-Ti.jpg10957522-Ti.jpg11082181-Ti.jpg10957581-Ti.jpg11082075-Ti.jpg12317422-Ti.jpg24201431-Ti.jpg

Thanks for your help!!

-Todd

Comments

• Options
    SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2005
    Todd,

If you want a critique on your photo's then post them one at a time in large so that people can see the detail in each one. Asking us to go to your gallery will limit your responses. Pick the ones you want evaluated yourself. Check out the threads on the board.

Seamus.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2005
    Seamus wrote:
    Todd,

If you want a critique on your photo's then post them one at a time in large so that people can see the detail in each one. Asking us to go to your gallery will limit your responses. Pick the ones you want evaluated yourself. Check out the threads on the board.

Seamus.

nod.gif

yep - todd, it's best to pick a couple 2 or 3 for us to review at a time. present them in one thread, you'll get way more responses.
  • Options
    johnojohno Registered Users Posts: 617 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2005
    Brutal (artistic) honesty takes time... ONE or two at a time would be my suggestion.

Peace.
    johno~
    If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
    ~Mother Teresa

Canon 1D Mark II / Canon 50D / Canon 30D / Canon G9
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS / Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L

blog
    johno's gallery
  • Options
    Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2005
    11081935-M.jpg
    This is great, I love the mood, color, negative space, semi-symmetry!
    now this one:
    9948457-M.jpg
    Is one that doesn't really work for me :D the gradient of blue is nice, but the composition itself is a bit 'taken out of context'. For me there is nothing to relate to, not much to admire... I'm a fan of negative space, but I guess this one is not my bag :D Part of the problem is probably the middle part that draws most attention (for me) and is the least interesting (as you probably want to have the watcher follow the wide area into the small area..)

I hope this helps you somewhat :D
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl
  • Options
    4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2005
    I find to get critqued it is often helpful to offer some time of bribe. These folks particularly enjoy a good meal and a stiff drink...:D

On a serious note I think this pic has a great photojournalistic feel to it. I like the way it is composed but why cut the leg and top of the head off?Persoanlly I would have included them.
    21332008-M-1.jpg
  • Options
    willow56willow56 Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited June 6, 2005
    sometimes the rule of thirds can be overdone.. this seems to me to be one of those times.. hopefully you have the uncropped original cause imo it's a really, really good shot..
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2005
    Wow. Yeah I guess everyone is pretty lazy around here. :) And you all seem to have the same wonderful suggestions. My intent was to see how many of my favorite photos are seen as being any good to anyone else which is why I suggested looking at my whole gallery.

Sorry to have broken the unspoken rules.

I'm an amaeture photographer that would love to someday try my hand and actually selling a print or two. But I'm not sure if any of my stuff is close to being THAT good. I have times when I like my work and times when I don't.

So I will try this again and like the rules state I will stand on one foot while posting this message. Like I said before... If you want to give me your honest opinion of any of them or anything you see lacking in all of them please let me know. Brutal (artistic) honesty is appreciated.

24186348-L.jpg

24026588-L.jpg

12314986-L.jpg
  • Options
    david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2005
    Brutal here we come.......
    1. Not interesting for me personally

2. I like this idea. It would be cool if it were the door to an an interesting place, bistro, pub or something. Doesn't really do anything for me as it stands.

3. Now this is interesting. I'm not sure if it's because the wall is in sharper focus than the pile of rims or the way they are stacked, but it makes my eyes get dizzy by looking at it. The red paint adds a lot as well. Certainly got my attention with this photograph.

I like this one as well. I do a lot of industrial type shots myself:

10957581-M.jpg
  • Options
    Ben:::DBen:::D Registered Users Posts: 76 Big grins
    edited June 6, 2005
    Now now Todd, no need to get testy. :D

It is, after all, rather hard--for those of us that do work--to go and critique a whole slew right at once...

But since you seem hell-bent on honesty--here's my thoughts on the last three you submitted.

#1 = Refrigerator door. Doesn't do anything for me. Light is too harsh and the "straight on" composition is bo-ring.

#2 = This has an interesting sense of balance. It's, of course, symmetrical, and yet the upper portions are not. I think it works. Except that light is nasty--if you're a photoshop-er I'd clone it out entirely. And the color seems very "cool" (not "cool" like "cool, man", but "cool" in the color temperature sense.) It's obviously daylight, but I suspect your white balance wasn't quite dialed in. I think if you warmed it up it could have a nice quiet small town "solitude" feel to it.

#3 = Best of the bunch. I like the composition. It's not straight on like the other two, and the two STRONG elements are definite food for the eyes. The repetition and duplication of the tire-looking things on the right side are an interesting counter-point to the bold red X on the left. I think you could punch up the contrast JUST a touch and you'd have a pretty great print.

So here's some honesty: All in all though these three are fairly boring, to me. The one of the girl/boy(?) with the soccer ball is 10 TIMES more interesting and compelling than all three of these--even if not as nicely composed (I agree with the poster who commented on the poor cropping.) Looking at your photos, I think you have a tendency towards abstract shapes, graphical forms, and the like. But I think you are missing a key essential element--people. (I only say this with such confidence because I have this exact same weakness and am trying in earnest to begin to take more risks and take photos of PEOPLE.) PEOPLE are more interesing than walls. I'm a rabid lover of abstract graphical and landscape photography--so don't get me wrong--I'd just like to throw that out to you as a suggestion for consideration.

There, was that brutal enough for you? ne_nau.gif:D:D
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2005
    Thanks David and Ben for those comments.

Since #1 was a bore for the both of you I thought I'd add this other one.
    Not that either of you have to comment but just for anyone out there to.

Honestly even just from the two of you I feel I have some new ideas now.

24201431-L.jpg

and I re-cropped this one for those who commented on it.

21331614-L-1.jpg
  • Options
    4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2005
    21331614-L-1.jpg

I like it much better this way.
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2005
    Ok, first off, when asking for critique, you must realize a lot of time and effort is put into it to do it right. So when you get all huffy about people wanting to limit the amount of effort they have to expend, well, that pretty much kills the desire to help you...know what I mean? You are getting a big favor done here, and to cop an attitude is not doing you any favors. Loose the 'tude dude mwink.gif

From your gallery
    Photo #1) Composition is eye catching, color (wb) is not very pleasing, those red bricks would contrast nicely with the green grass better if the scene where not so blue.

2) Not strong enough graphically to work as a color abstract. Toss it.

3) Interesting-ish, but lacking in critical composition, color could be better too. I would like to see a stronger main subject or idea presented.

4) Good shape contrasts, though I would tend to say that the photo works better as a vertical.

5) Great. Keeper. Strong graphical feel and human interest. I like looking at this photo.

6) Interesting perspective. Might work as stock or editorial, but not art or abstract.

7) I like the composition, but the poor color is stealing the power from this photo. It is a fall day, but with the heavy blue tone, all the warmth of the falls colors is stripped away making the photo feel weak.

8) Nice composition and great color choice. I might go for less sky, or edit the sky to look more interesting since it occupies so much space.

9) Weak, toss.

10) Good composition, however, again, your color balance when dealing with photos that should obviously have a warm tone to it, is totally off. It sucks the life and energy away from the photo.

I would make this your personal goal to fix. Don't worry about composition or art for the time being, concentrate on color and rendering it in a photo. You have a good eye for composition, and I can tell you are working hard. So step back a little and spend some time with color theory, using your cameras WB to it's full potential, and learn to use your photo editors color tools. This will step your work up to the next level. Once there, you can continue on your journey.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    MongrelMongrel Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2005
    Interesting...
    I won't comment on the pics, you have already been given a good idea as to what you need to work on. I find it ironic that someone that comes across as pretty pushy *still* managed to get some of the best critiques I have seen on this board. You should be very appreciative of the time people took to give you their insight. Especially considering the short time you've been here (5 posts) and compared to those who have been here *a lot* longer and have received even less attention and quality of comments.

Now having said that, there are several critiques on the first page that are really very good. But I specifically want to mention Shay's-not only because of his thoroughness and the amount of shots he commented on, but the depth of what he gave you. Shay's post and your gallery should be 'stickied' if possible because the value of what he has posted is beneficial to us all.

Even though they aren't my pics Shay, I appreciate your critique and have found it very helpful. Thanks for taking the time to share your expertise.

Mongrel
    If every keystroke was a shutter press I'd be a pro by now...
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2005
    15524779-Ti.gif with Mongrel

Excellent stuff Shay clap.gifclapclap.gif
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2005
    First, Thanks to Seamus, Andy, & Johno for suggesting how to get more responses.

Second, Thanks to Michiel de Brieder, 4labs, & willow56 for just giving me some comments anyway.

Third, Thanks to david h & Ben D, for commenting on the couple I later chose to post.

Fouth, Thanks to Shay S for putting me in my place and then still commenting on so many photos.

And finally, thanks to Mongrel and gubbs (and any future posters) for their helpful pointing and laughing while Shay took charge.bncry.gif
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited June 7, 2005
    Todd:

I first saw your post yesterday but didn't have time to post a response. Upon my return I see you've garnered a fair share of input I hope proves helpful.

You certainly took a few hits here for being "smug" (pun intended). I thought you were just being cute.... anyway... you've received several posts containing good direction.

I can only add that I appreciate your creative eye and willingness to express yourself through your photographs. It's sometimes hard to take criticism from peers because one has to weigh the value of "rules" and "conformity" against creative spirit. However the input of experienced professionals regarding technical aspects of photography is invaluable and something I hope you use to your advantage.

I look forward to seeing more of your work.
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2005
    Shay,

Thanks for critiqing my photos. I printed your comments and highlighted your tips. You gave me some good things to focus on. I mainly use curves in Photoshop to adjust colors. Would you suggest I learn another feature like Channels or something. I'm not looking for an in-depth reply.

Thanks,

Todd
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2005
    Angelo,

Yes I have received some comments now. Thanks for checking back. And yes I was pretty much just trying to be cute with my comments but sometimes communicating on the internet conveys as much tone and mood as a turn signal.

But now I have so many new friends! <--- note sarcasm

Thanks for understanding. Now I realize why not everyone here asks for brutal honesty.
    :flush
  • Options
    MongrelMongrel Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2005
    ahh...Grasshopper, well said.....
    you are showing the spirit of a humble student thumb.gif
    tsackmann wrote:
    Shay,

Thanks for critiqing my photos. I printed your comments and highlighted your tips. You gave me some good things to focus on. I mainly use curves in Photoshop to adjust colors. Would you suggest I learn another feature like Channels or something. I'm not looking for an in-depth reply.

Thanks,

Todd
    Again, welcome to Dgrin!
    If every keystroke was a shutter press I'd be a pro by now...
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2005
    My suggestion would be to spend time with the cameras white balance (WB) settings. Choose one that fits the scene the best (not auto) or do a custom white balance. The ultimate control over color can be had in shooting RAW and adjusting the WB to taste in post. That (WB) is step number one. Getting it as right as you can from the camera.

Second is post processing when things don't go as planned (and they don't often enough). If you can get a pleasing color balance using curves, then by all means use that. There are so many ways to adjust color these days, that singling one out over another is nearly pointless. Do what is most effective for you. But don't be afraid to use color overlays (cool or warm) if needed.

A color overlay is kind of like using a colored filter on the lens of your camera (only better and more configurable). Create a new layer, fill it with a color, in this example we will be using orange. Set the opacity of the layer to something like 10% to start with. Adjust opacity to taste. That should warm up a cool toned shot, and may just give a fall color scene the visual pop it deserves, and make it look more like what you likely saw.

Hope that helps.

tsackmann wrote:
    Shay,

Thanks,

Todd
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2005
    Curves is a good way to go if you know how to use it. It's tricky to get the right color cast unless you know enough about how RGB values mix to make the right balance. An easier way is to use the temperature control or automatic white balance functions that come with utilities like Camera RAW in Photoshop. Another approach is to use the auto-color adjustment in Photoshop as a starting point but beware that this, like all automatic settings, don't always work depending on the subject. In any case, you should make sure your monitor is properly calibrated and you are using the right color spaces when posting your images (make sure you are using sRGB, or at least convert to sRGB, before posting on the web).

Erich