"Water, Light and Textures" - Scenes from Yosemite National Park

SunnyvalejohnSunnyvalejohn Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
edited April 30, 2009 in Landscapes
I just wanted to share a few new images from a new series I am debuting for my open house this weekend (in Sunnyvale) - "Water, Light and Textures." I shot these in Yosemite in January and finally finished them up. I have printed them all 20x30 (and larger) on canvas that I printed myself. Let me know which ones you like or head to my gallery and use the thumbs UP. I can't wait till Acadia!

My SmugMug "Water, Light and Textures" gallery is located here.

Thanks,
John

1 - "Sunset Flowing" - Sunset on the Merced at Valley View. The reflected orange glow from El Capitan just lit up the Merced and I found this soothing image. This image is inspired by Charlie Cramer and Michael Frye.
522650128_3HwkM-M.jpg

2 - "Bridalveil Flows" - I found this little spot and just kept working it. Step to the right, step left, lower, higher. tilt.... I think I finally found the spot. This calm and soothing flow just curved right into my camera and up onto my wall.

522650717_85o9j-M.jpg

3. "Sunrise over Cook's Meadow" - We were shooting in Cook's Meadow and the trees were just beautiful in the cold morning sky. I was looking around just trying to get this complex scene together. I saw trees towering above me, but then off in the distant were those green pines. The sun had just come up past the mountains and I captured this starburst through the trees.
522866461_oGcVN-M.jpg

4. - "Bridalveil Trickles" - Another spot along the water flowing down from Bridalveil falls. Finding big, huge pretty pictures in Yosemite is easy (and what everyone else has done). I was searching for those beautiful spots along the way. I know I am successful when I have captured one of those places and it reminds me where I want to be on a Friday afternoon.

513274882_ufpfn-M.jpg

Comments

• Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2009
    Lovely photos

Great water flow abstracts thumb.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2009
    Really nice series, I especially love #4, the water looks like it is coming out from within the rock. Nice colors all around.
  • jaminphotojaminphoto Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited April 30, 2009
    Excellent photos. the light on #3 is magic.

--ricardo
  • Secluded ValleySecluded Valley Registered Users Posts: 176 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2009
    Beautiful photos. I love the water flow abstract.

Kristine
    "How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains!" ~John Muir
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited April 30, 2009
    Where are you going to exhibit and when does it open?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • SunnyvalejohnSunnyvalejohn Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited April 30, 2009
    ian408 wrote:
    Where are you going to exhibit and when does it open?

Thanks for all the great feedback folks! I love waterfalls and I was really trying to do something different. I just kept working a few spots and I like what I came up with.

Interesting the first one didn't connect with folks as much - that is my favorite! I should call it Frye's Flows or Charlie's crevices since they shoot in that style! Canvas and big is the way to go!

I am exhibiting at my house in Sunnyvale. Address and details are posted over on my blog (I need to post something in the forum!) Please stop by if you are in the area.

Cheers,
    John