Options

Karate Tournament

rhondavidrhondavid Registered Users Posts: 433 Major grins
edited May 6, 2009 in Sports
Okay, my sixteen year old will be competing in his first karate tournament in a couple of weeks. I have no clue what the lighting and setting arrangement will be. This will be my first tournament to attend as a spectator so leaving me even more clueless.

Looking for suggestions on how to best capture the event for him. Of course there will be lots of action/movement so I know I will need to optimize shutter speed.

Any thoughts from those who may have covered this type event in the past?

Thanks for your feedback.
David

D40
18 - 55 kit lens
55- 200 VR kit lens
Lots of desires

Comments

• Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2009
    If it's in a couple weeks the venue is certainly chosen. That's the first thing to find out. There are all types of tournamments - small ones, hosted in a dojos to large ones hosted in pro arenas. You need to speak to the instructor at your son's dojo and find out:
    1. What building is the tournament in. This is important not only for lighting but also distances involved.
    2. If it's a large tournament in a big arena, would you be able to get a floor pass to be able to shoot from the floor.

In the mean time, let's start with what gear you have available to shoot with. What cameras and lenses do you have available for your use?
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2009
    johng wrote:
    If it's in a couple weeks the venue is certainly chosen. That's the first thing to find out. There are all types of tournamments - small ones, hosted in a dojos to large ones hosted in pro arenas. You need to speak to the instructor at your son's dojo and find out:
    1. What building is the tournament in. This is important not only for lighting but also distances involved.
    2. If it's a large tournament in a big arena, would you be able to get a floor pass to be able to shoot from the floor.

In the mean time, let's start with what gear you have available to shoot with. What cameras and lenses do you have available for your use?

I am still trying to get a handle on the location. It will not be in the dojo since this is a large regional tournament. Looks like it will be in a school / church gymnasium.

I have a D40 with the 18 - 55 kit lens and another kit lens which is the 55 - 200 VR. I suspect the 55 - 200 will be the primary lens for the day.
    David

D40
    18 - 55 kit lens
    55- 200 VR kit lens
    Lots of desires
  • Options
    tracyendotracyendo Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited May 1, 2009
    I am new to the photography biz but I have shot several tournaments since my husband and son are both martial artists. Most regional TKD tournaments are shot in a gym with pretty crappy lighting. I have come to determine that lighting is my main problem in these tournaments and, of course, to get the right shot you'll need to have a fast shutter speed. If you have poor technique in regard to getting the right amount of light in your photos I would really focus on that.
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2009
    That is what I am expecting, poor lighting. Will just have to make do with the equipment I have and hope for the best, Thanks for your comments
    David

D40
    18 - 55 kit lens
    55- 200 VR kit lens
    Lots of desires
  • Options
    ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2009
    Unfortunately without a flash you might be best to get pictures of people who are not currently competing. Should still be able to get some nice shots of the kids coming off the mat, concentration before the start, resting etc...

Like you are expecting slow shutter speeds due to poor lighting may severely limit you ability to take acceptable shots of the action without a flash. Acceptable is of course a very personal thing. i am sure there will be parents there taking pics with a camera and find those pics acceptable.
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2009
    Talked with the instructor last night and was told the gym is very well lit with sodium vapor lights and that flash was allowed. He did suggest limiting the use of the flash as you do not want the flash to distract the ones in the competition...

Feeling encouraged that all is not lost and will go with no flash, ISO 1600 and attempt to get the most shutter speed I can while balancing aperture to ensure focus and DOF are sufficient. Will post some shots of anything tht might be presentable.

Thanks for your suggestions.
    David

D40
    18 - 55 kit lens
    55- 200 VR kit lens
    Lots of desires