A children Portrait Session

Karrie McDKarrie McD Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
edited April 30, 2009 in People
Hey all!

Here are a few pics from my last children session. I usually don't post but I think I am going to start posting a few from each of my sessions from now on. I know I need to grow and making myself post a few photos can do nothing but help my photography in one way or another. My jobs usually consist of children and families; always on-location, I do not have my own studio. As of now, I always use on camera flash and natural light for my portrait sessions.

Thanks for looking and any comments you may make.

524183480_QujHP-L.jpg

524183959_nMKpT-M.jpg

524185635_iPmHd-M.jpg

524184733_PNM3k-L.jpg

5.524185848_VUDvE-M.jpg

6. And we had a suprise guest show up for one photo. I did not put this in the clients gallery but I did email it too her. Just cute so I though I would share.
524182914_hVxeM-M.jpg

Thanks for looking and helping me grow :lust
"Whether you think you can or you can't, you are right."

Comments

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2009
    My favorites are 2 and 4, and the last one is hilarious - what a great chance capture!

The only one I'm not sure about is #1 - I can't really specifically say why it doesn't work for me as well as the others ... The azaleas are a beautiful background but in that one shot I find myself looking at them instead of the girl. headscratch.gif

Looks like a beautiful shoot - I'm sure they were thrilled!
  • rhondavidrhondavid Registered Users Posts: 433 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2009
    I really like #2, #4 and #5. The first one there is too much white IMHO an the dress looks too hot which is distracting from the subject. Number 3 the flowers overwhelm the shot as they are more brightly lit adn young lady's face is in a shadow. Nothing wrong with # 6 just funny that Mr Swishy Tail happened to make his appearance so close and perfectly timed.

Number 2, #4 and #5 seem to have found a good balance of lighting with the subjects getting enough light to show them off without making them over the top, and given a shallow DOF to make for interesting background. The reflection in the water is unbelievable.

Nice set with beautiful subjects who appear very comforable in front of the camera and take instruction for posing well.
    David

D40
    18 - 55 kit lens
    55- 200 VR kit lens
    Lots of desires
  • Cuties02qCuties02q Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2009
    Adorable girls!! I really like #2 & #5 :)
    Part time photographer...Full time mommy :D

My equiment: Nikon D50, Nikon D300, SB-600, 30mm 1.4, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8

WEBSITE
    BLOG
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2009
    These are all really nice. Thanks for sharing.

#2 is my favorite of the bunch. The shadow on her arm is a little distracting, but there's not much you can do about that.

What precious subjects and a wonderful location.
  • bobcoolbobcool Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2009
    Karrie,

These are really great! If you're on a low budget (like me!), try to find a used hotshoe flash and a shoot-thru umbrella - you'll be happy when you see what off-camera flash can do to give you softer fill-flash and enhancing light when you shoot with natural light.

I love #2 and it looks like you have natural light balance/exposure nailed pretty well, but the flash w/brolly will help with closer poses like your flower shots by providing nice, soft fill light.

Great shots, regardless - what a great location to shoot, as well!
  • Karrie McDKarrie McD Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    My favorites are 2 and 4, and the last one is hilarious - what a great chance capture!

The only one I'm not sure about is #1 - I can't really specifically say why it doesn't work for me as well as the others ... The azaleas are a beautiful background but in that one shot I find myself looking at them instead of the girl. headscratch.gif

Looks like a beautiful shoot - I'm sure they were thrilled!

Thanks dviamum! 2 and 4 are my favorites as well. I think if the lighting were better and she was standing at an angle, maybe #1 would be good....
    edited April 30, 2009
    bobcool wrote:
    Karrie,

These are really great! If you're on a low budget (like me!), try to find a used hotshoe flash and a shoot-thru umbrella - you'll be happy when you see what off-camera flash can do to give you softer fill-flash and enhancing light when you shoot with natural light.

I love #2 and it looks like you have natural light balance/exposure nailed pretty well, but the flash w/brolly will help with closer poses like your flower shots by providing nice, soft fill light.

Great shots, regardless - what a great location to shoot, as well!

Thank you bobcool. This is pretty sad but I will admit it anyhow... I have a 580 EX II and I have a few umbrellas; I am just unpracticed with using off camera lighting. Most of my jobs consits of shooting toddlers and using off camera flash with toddlers outside is not fun nor is it easy, actually almost impossible. However, these children and this location would have worked with off camera... I just need to get out my stuff and use it so I can get real comfortable with that kind of lighting....

Thanks for you comment and compliments!!!
    edited April 30, 2009
    I just want to thank the rest of you also... Reading what you all have to say is encouraging and helpful. I need to drag myself out of the dgrin challenges area and into the people area a lot more!!!