Selfportrait

ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
edited May 1, 2009 in People
I'm taking a photography course. It's a basic course at the School for Professional Photography, and it's a lot of fun. It's basically an introduction to a lot of things. From the basics of the camera, to studio shooting, and a lot more. Also, a lot of shooting; Free work for each next class, plus some assignments.

One assignment for the next class is to 'copy an existing photograph'. Any photo would be allowed, as long is it was interesting, and at least a bit challenging in a certain way.

Even before this assignment, I've been a fan of Abbie Warnock's 'Devil's Advocate', and I already had plans to give something like that a shot.
This assignment was the perfect opportunity! I arranged for a helping hand, some time, black background and some face paint...

524438383_jjxsf-XL.jpg

C&C much appreciated.

Comments

• heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2009
    Creeeeeepy...
    But love it.

You are one scary looking guy!
    iloveyou.gif
  • Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2009
    I echoe Heather's comments as well. I think a microscopic sliver of more "you" detail would help, but nonetheless.....a very interesting concept and it's executed well. thumb.gif
  • justMEjustME Registered Users Posts: 209 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2009
    eek7.gif and I iloveyou.gif it!!!
    Looks great on my lappy. I think your going to ace the class.
    Canon EOS 30D & 50D
    Arizona, USA
    http://justineolson.smugmug.com/

..........................................................................................
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2009
    Scaryyyyy ... haha! Well done!thumb.gif
  • whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2009
    Perfectly executed. thumb.gif
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
  • ZarathustraZarathustra Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited April 29, 2009
    Beautifully executed! Out of curiosity, did you black out your face and hair with makeup or PS?

[Edit]Read the rest of your post a little more carefully. You had already answered my question. See the hazards of posting something incredible like that? People pay no attention to the text![/Edit]
  • Michelle SidlesMichelle Sidles Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited April 29, 2009
    Kinda freaky. Eek! ;)

However, from a photography standpoint, HOMERUN!
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2009
    Awesome and inspiring. clap.gif From an execution and posing standpoint, you nailed it. thumb.gif For processing, your blackness looks a little less rich and much warmer than the original. My perception of "richness" may be the difference in paint: yours looks more matte than the original. But that's just nitpicking.
  • lisaplisap Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2009
    Wow! Very cool. Love it. :D

How long did it take to get that black paint off!?
  • austinstrobistaustinstrobist Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited April 29, 2009
    Like whoa~
    website & blog

stefanochoi.com
  • dreamcometruedreamcometrue Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2009
    Awesome job! clap.gif
    Artistic Design Photography LLC
    http://www.adesignphotography.com
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2009
    And the crowd goes wild! lol3.gif

Seriously, it's awesome that you pulled this off so perfectly. I have no nits at all and even though you don't post photos that often it's soooo worth the wait! :ivar
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2009
    Very well done. It looks great on my calibrated monitor...and I suspect the same on anyone's monitor. Thanks for sharing.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2009
    I almost fall of my chair. Good thing it's light outside rolleyes1.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2009
    woah, thanks for looking, and all the kind comments, guys! It's much appreciated thumb.gif
    edited May 1, 2009
    Beautifully executed! Out of curiosity, did you black out your face and hair with makeup or PS?

[Edit]Read the rest of your post a little more carefully. You had already answered my question. See the hazards of posting something incredible like that? People pay no attention to the text![/Edit]
    Heh, yeah, that was part of the fun part, the facepaint :D

My face/neck/ears/etc. and my hands and hair were all painted black with facepaint. We also used some eyeliner and eyebrow pencil for my eyes. It took a while to get it done, actually :D
    edited May 1, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Awesome and inspiring. clap.gif From an execution and posing standpoint, you nailed it. thumb.gif For processing, your blackness looks a little less rich and much warmer than the original. My perception of "richness" may be the difference in paint: yours looks more matte than the original. But that's just nitpicking.
    Thanks! Yes, I saw the same problem. However, as far as processing this image, I did very little. It's almost straight-out-of-camera. I think that the difference in shine/richness/warmth is mainly because of the difference of facepaint she and I used ne_nau.gif
    edited May 1, 2009
    lisap wrote:
    Wow! Very cool. Love it. :D

How long did it take to get that black paint off!?
    It took a good while, actually lol3.gif

I washed my hair several times, and spent more than a few minutes in the shower.
    The funny thing was that most of it was done with facepaint on a water-base. That came of relatively well. My eyes were done with eyeliner/eyebrow pencil. That wasn't so easy to get off, especially without any special cleaning products lol3.gif