A Gathering of WWII F4F Wildcats

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
edited May 5, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
The F4F Wildcat was the U.S. Navy's frontline carrier fighter at the beginning of WWII. It was outclassed by the Japanese Zero, but because of it's tough construction, good dive speed, and the excellent training of the Navy pilots, the plane and pilots were able to hold their own in combat. Subsequent planes, notably the F6F Hellcat and the F4U Corsair, came along later in the war and were vastly superior to anything the Japanese had.

Having these three Wildcats show up at the same show is really unusual....there aren't many of these still flying. Keeping old warbirds like this in flying condition is increasingly expensive. An engine rebuild on a Wildcat runs about $65,000.

524428525_u6Ybw-XL.jpg

524428201_DLUmX-XL.jpg

524428176_R7a7R-XL.jpg

524428352_vQ4Qq-XL.jpg

524428457_iqpYb-XL.jpg

524428326_GZRYH-XL.jpg

524428222_MbC4h-XL.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2009
    thumb.gif Sweet shots! Where were they - Sun & Fun?
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2009
    Howdy Tom,

Once again you've found a wonderful venue to shoot, really like all the details in the planes and the colors and sharp points of focus are very well done.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2009
    Hi Moose,

Yes, these were taken at Fun "N" Sun. There had been four of the F4F's on a national tour but one of them left the show before I got there. There can't be many more than those four still flying in this country.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited April 30, 2009
    Hey Craig,

Thanks for your nice comments. You know me....put me around planes, cars, or old farm buildings and I'm in hog heaven. I think that we all, as photographers, tend to excell when shooting subjects that we are passionate about.

As my dad used to say... " hold it on the road ",

Tom
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2009
    I love pictures of any planes, but your pictures of these old Wildcats are just great!!
    Thanks for sharing them.

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
    edited April 30, 2009
    Hi Ron,

Anybody who loves planes has got to be OK in my book. Thanks for your kind remarks.

Tom
  • JChurillJChurill Registered Users Posts: 125 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2009
    Tuff little bird...nice shots!
    Blending The Arts!
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2009
    Neat stuff--I love WWII history! I went to a similar show in Fredericksburg, TX, a few months ago. I shot this one:

528531932_6FW8Z-M.jpg

If there are so few of these, I wonder if this is the same #5 plane with a new paint job?
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com