Which Antelope Canyon (Slot Canyon) tour should I take?

jcdilljcdill Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
edited April 30, 2009 in Landscapes
I'm in Cottonwood AZ, south of Sedona. I'm getting up before 5 am to take photos of the sunrise, then heading north to Page AZ to try to get in a mid-day tour of upper Antelope Canyon. I've googled, and there are several different tour companies that lead tours (and lead "photographer tours" into upper Antelope Canyon. If you have gone on one, would you recommend that tour to another photographer, or would you suggest I try a different tour? I've looked at Yelp - all the tours have good reviews.

I'm going to check this thread after sunrise, during breakfast, before I start driving north.

Thanks!

jc
JC Dill - Equine Photographer, San Francisco & San Jose http://portfolio.jcdill.com
"Chance favors the prepared mind." ~ Ansel Adams
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." ~ Terry Pratchett

Comments

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited April 30, 2009
    I highly recommend Overland Canyon Tours. The company is owned by Jackon Bridges who is a professional southwest landscape photographer, and personally leads many of the tours. I would also recommend their Canyon X tour instead of Upper Antelope, if you can get in at the last minute (which does happen). That tour is lead by Jackson himself, and is limited to 5 photographers a day. Overland is the only tour operator with access to Canyon X, so you basically have the canyon to yourself with a few other photographers. Lots of hands-on instruction by him if you want it. Upper Antelope is very nice, mind you. But it's crowded, and keeping the constant procession of tourists out of your 30 second exposures can get frustrating. We actually bad better luck with the crowds at Lower Antelope Canyon, which doesn't require a tour operator. You just walk up, pay, and climb down into the canyon. All three Canyons are excellent.

Here's Jackson talking over a shot with Sarah, who is a friend of Aaron Newman (anwmn1 on this site).
    IMG_3921.jpg

Have fun!
    -joel
  • BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2009
    I agree about Lower Antelope. If you find you can't get in to Canyon X or upper, just head over to lower and pay at the gate. All access to Lower Antelope is photographer friendly.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • jcdilljcdill Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2009
    BeachBill wrote:
    I agree about Lower Antelope. If you find you can't get in to Canyon X or upper, just head over to lower and pay at the gate. All access to Lower Antelope is photographer friendly.

Is it easy and obvious how to find the gate and entrance to Lower Antelope? I'm in Flagstaff now, I'll check this thread again when we make our next stop before we get to Page.

Thanks everyone!
    JC Dill - Equine Photographer, San Francisco & San Jose http://portfolio.jcdill.com
    "Chance favors the prepared mind." ~ Ansel Adams
    "Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." ~ Terry Pratchett
  • BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2009
    jcdill wrote:
    Is it easy and obvious how to find the gate and entrance to Lower Antelope? I'm in Flagstaff now,

It's just on the across the highway from upper antelope.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2009
    I agree. Contact Overland Canyon Tours to see if you can get in on one of their tours to Upper Antelope or Canyon X. If not don't bother with Upper and just do Lower Antelope. It is easy to find- from Hwy 89 just head East on Hwy 98. When you get to the large power plant Upper Antelope is on the right and Lower Antelope is on your left. Make a left for the main entrance to Lake Powell and then another left on the dirt road to get down to Lower Antelope.

There is a slew of things to see in that area. Check out Horeshoe Bend which you will pass on your way in to Page. It is a 3/4 mile hike up and down a dune but a great site to see. If heading towards Bryce or Zion you can also stop at the Toadstools (40 minutes from Page & another 1/2 mile walk).
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion