Charity Shoot

KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
edited June 8, 2005 in People
I was asked to donate my time by taking pics of a charity event. Since I'm always taking nature and animal pics with a few landscapes, I thought it would be good to see how event photography would be like.

Wow. I can screw things up in any possible way you can imagine.:huh :D

Wrong EV setting. Yep. Wrong lens for shot. Yep. Just really bad comp, triple yep.

It was a learning experience. I'm anxious to do more though. I'd really like to learn and get better at it. My hats off to those who do it for a living.

The event was a fund raiser called Pump-n-Run. You had to lift your own weight for as many reps as possible and then run a 5k race.

Here are some shots.

Comments are welcome.

24224510-L.jpg

The events organizer.
24224559-L.jpg

24224600-L.jpg

24224615-L.jpg

24224592-M.jpg

24224544-M.jpg

24224652-M.jpg

24224659-M.jpg

24224665-L.jpg

24224787-M.jpg

24224635-M.jpg

Comments

• DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2005
    Geesh, quit complaining :-)
    These are great!!!! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

That has got to be a photographer's nightmare! No place to isolate people, lighting nightmare too.... they came out really nice, but I think from my point of view I like the start of the race the best, because you got it just as they are taking off, and that's got to be hard to do!

Did you shoot "burst" mode?
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2005
    I don't know an event photographer should depict the event so as to convey the event in way that describes it's purpose and feelings without many words, is that right?

If so, you done real good clap.gif
    I would have got in tighter on the start of race to remove those stinkin wires, I hate wires umph.gif, and drop the framing some to show all of the starter (ya know them tootsies :D) but hey you know me, I'm sure you've read my sig :lol
  • KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2005
    Dee wrote:
    These are great!!!! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

That has got to be a photographer's nightmare! No place to isolate people, lighting nightmare too.... they came out really nice, but I think from my point of view I like the start of the race the best, because you got it just as they are taking off, and that's got to be hard to do!

Did you shoot "burst" mode?
    Thanks Dee.

No burst mode. I just clicked when she let the air horn blow.
  • KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2005
    bfjr wrote:
    I don't know an event photographer should depict the event so as to convey the event in way that describes it's purpose and feelings without many words, is that right?

If so, you done real good clap.gif
    I would have got in tighter on the start of race to remove those stinkin wires, I hate wires umph.gif, and drop the framing some to show all of the starter (ya know them tootsies :D) but hey you know me, I'm sure you've read my sig :lol
    Thanks Ben.

I cropped out the starter's feet because the angle allowed to much empty pavement showing if I left them in. I felt the 35 was the best to use at the time. I had to choose either the full lineup with starter, or close in on part of the lineup. I couldn't do both. Of course I can always close crop in and remove the wires but that would also remove the starter.

When I crop I use either the 6x9, 5x7, or 8x10 crop sizes so it's easier when ordering prints. Occassionaly I'll use the square 8x8. To crop out the wires and leave the rest would of created an odd sized pic that would of forced major loss of the pic by cropping if a print was to be made.