umbria sunset

PHOTOemptPHOTOempt Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
edited May 2, 2009 in Landscapes
these are a series that i did a few weeks ago near home, in umbria, italy. of the many blend and stitch combinations that i brought home, these are the final collection. any comments happily received. regards, sarah
1:
524934291_weKKC-L.jpg

2:
524934344_DB2yM-L.jpg

3:
524934477_x45eQ-L.jpg

4:
524934563_QS8dH-L.jpg

5:
524934636_6wyhe-L.jpg

6:
524934700_tEyc4-L.jpg
Sarah A Wager, MB BS

+39 075 878 0642 or on the web at
www.photoempt.com
photoempt.smugmug.com
www.rjslade.com
and if you are interested in our italian cooking school here in Monte Castello di Vibio check out www.umbriacucina.com

Comments

• dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2009
    Beautiful set. 2 is my fav. Love Italy iloveyou.gifclap.gif

Dan
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2009
    #5 catches my eye of the group, very nice how the tree line flows.
    what a beautiful area and scene.
    Aaron Nelson
  • PHOTOemptPHOTOempt Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2009
    thanks for kind comments. what bothers me about this series is the slightly dull foreground. tried hard to 'perk it up' but it's really just that sort of colour and that's the way it was that evening, but it just seemed a bit flat. any thoughts?
    Sarah A Wager, MB BS

www.photoempt.com
    photoempt.smugmug.com
    www.rjslade.com
    and if you are interested in our italian cooking school here in Monte Castello di Vibio check out www.umbriacucina.com
    edited April 30, 2009
    gradient darkening would be a choice
    Aaron Nelson
    edited May 1, 2009
    gradient darkening would be a choice

yes, i wondered if i had lightened them up too much in the foreground. they are all blends of exposures for sky and foreground, and i was torn between maintaining a dark foreground ("where's the detail?") and lightening it up to allow detail (slightly boring colours, with no light to make it more interesting) i don't really need the gradient - i can just go back to the originals of the 2 images used in each case, and change the balance on the foreground exposure, but i'm not sure whether losing the foreground detail is acceptable...... thanks
    Sarah A Wager, MB BS

www.photoempt.com
    photoempt.smugmug.com
    www.rjslade.com
    edited May 1, 2009
    im only referring to #5, but i dont think your going to want to lose the detail of the house or greenish field either, maybe just crop a little off the bottom if you think that will help...??
    Aaron Nelson
    edited May 1, 2009
    im only referring to #5, but i dont think your going to want to lose the detail of the house or greenish field either, maybe just crop a little off the bottom if you think that will help...??

hi aaron, i tried cropping and wasn't happy, so being curious, needing instant gratification, and too lazy to go back to ps, i tried your suggestion of the grad filter in lr. i think it works, so have applied variations of same to the others. i think my eye was getting caught on the lightness of a lot of dead looking trees in the foreground, and that it is now better, even with subtle change. what do you think? anyone else?
    Before:
    525622057_dn5vu-L.jpg

After:
    525778665_wVhXn-L.jpg
    Sarah A Wager, MB BS

www.photoempt.com
    photoempt.smugmug.com
    www.rjslade.com
    edited May 1, 2009
    it seems to me you went to high with the grad. IMO there should have been no change from the base of the home to the top of the frame.
    it looks like you lost the sunset colors too...

start the grad on the very bottom and go no higher than mid field under the home...

also, imo i think you went to dark.
    Aaron Nelson
    edited May 2, 2009
    it seems to me you went to high with the grad. IMO there should have been no change from the base of the home to the top of the frame.
    it looks like you lost the sunset colors too...

start the grad on the very bottom and go no higher than mid field under the home...

also, imo i think you went to dark.

hmm - actually i started the grad from the base and went to half way up the grass below the house. as i check i:1, there is no difference on the house exposure, and certainly none on the sunset. wonder if that is a screen calibration issue? i do agree that maybe i pushed the exposure down too far, so have reached a compromise. i won't post it again, because i think we're into super - nit-picky issues here, which are probably lost in viewing on the thread,and probably because we've flogged this one enough!! onto other images, but i really appreciate your input, as it has helped me see what i liked and didn't like about the image. thanks , aaron.
    Sarah A Wager, MB BS

www.photoempt.com
    photoempt.smugmug.com
    www.rjslade.com
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2009
    I liked #5 in its original state. I like the lines and the colors. I am a bit distracted by the tree in the middle at the very bottom--maybe that's why Aaron suggested a crop? If you could crop it without losing the dark line of trees below the house, IMO it would be OK. But that "secondary" line, to me, echoes the tree line that includes the house--almost like a reflection.

I would keep working at it--personally, I think these images have loads of potential. I like the scene a lot!

Cheers,
    Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2009
    I think that the after shot that you posted is much improved as compared to the before. In the before, the foreground appears too busy and captures the eye searching for a subject. In the after shot, my eye at least is drawn to the house and sunset above it which I would imagine is what you want.

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
    edited May 2, 2009
    Jack'll do wrote:
    I think that the after shot that you posted is much improved as compared to the before. In the before, the foreground appears too busy and captures the eye searching for a subject. In the after shot, my eye at least is drawn to the house and sunset above it which I would imagine is what you want.

i agree - my feeling was that the foreground was too light and drawing attention to itself, which is what i think lauren is also saying. that tree smack in the middle is an oak full of dead leaves, and waiting for greenery of spring time, when the light brown leaves will be replaced. i shall play around some more with these images, but i was thinking today that i will need to go back when the trees have greened up, and all that foreground is a different colour!! thanks to both of you, jack and lauren, for commenting.
    cheers, sarah
    Sarah A Wager, MB BS

www.photoempt.com
    photoempt.smugmug.com
    www.rjslade.com
  • egieskeregiesker Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited May 2, 2009
    PHOTOempt wrote:
    hmm - actually i started the grad from the base and went to half way up the grass below the house. as i check i:1, there is no difference on the house exposure, and certainly none on the sunset. wonder if that is a screen calibration issue? i do agree that maybe i pushed the exposure down too far, so have reached a compromise. i won't post it again, because i think we're into super - nit-picky issues here, which are probably lost in viewing on the thread,and probably because we've flogged this one enough!! onto other images, but i really appreciate your input, as it has helped me see what i liked and didn't like about the image. thanks , aaron.
    I think your right, it might be a calibration issue. I looked at both, before and after. Toggling back and forth between the two and the only difference l can see is the darker section on the bottom. No change in the upper portion at all. FWIW, Ernie