Options

Another couple of LOVE/HATE people links (PG rated)

Comments

• Options
    Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2009
    Great proof of "to each their own". It will never cease to amaze me the different interpretations of what "art" means to people.....photographers particularly.
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2009
    Idlewild wrote:
    Great proof of "to each their own". It will never cease to amaze me the different interpretations of what "art" means to people.....photographers particularly.

It's the JUDGES of that comp I'm worried about, hehe!mwink.gif

One of the winners in their interview said they thought there was a different 'culture' of portrait-figure photography in UK-Europe than in USA. What do you think?

I really like the 'Shoes' winning photo in the single entry section. The others I admire for going over the top and showing off what can be achieved in photography (most of them with a professional team to do it). I wonder that if a photographer uses the help of stylists and wardrobists and décorists etc whether they can really claim to be the author of the photograph and take the prize away singlehandedly. I feel that it's somehow wrong to enter a photography comp as an individual if so much expertise not your own has made the entry. I feel maybe it should just be photographer and model and what they can do together.ne_nau.gif
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2009
    Hey, Neil! Good link - I wasn't sure which "Shoes" picture you meant. I did find the gallery, but they have so many competitions lol. For the gallery of winners in your specific link, I really like the series by David Knight, who was only Honorable Mention. But gosh, I'd hate to be the judge on creativity

One of the winners in their interview said they thought there was a different 'culture' of portrait-figure photography in UK-Europe than in USA. What do you think?
    I will have to agree. I think society has a lot of impact on the art generated. I mean just look at the different types of fashion that sweeps places like Japan, the UK and the US. Just as those are different and beautiful in their own way, I think photography is the same.
    I wonder that if a photographer uses the help of stylists and wardrobists and décorists etc whether they can really claim to be the author of the photograph and take the prize away singlehandedly.
    I'm reading a book on fashion photography right now by Bruce Smith, and
    I think it's a necessity for certain shoots to have a team, or some kind of help. You just can do so many things as a photographer, and doing someone's make-up may not be your cuppa tea. I *do* think that you have the right to claim the photograph as yours bc it seems understood that you (probably) compensated your team in some way or form (or that they were given credit elsewhere), and that this was your photographic skill that captured the image, your knowledge of light, your finger that pressed the shutter...perhaps even so far as to say "your vision".