Fire Department Spring Cleaning - Controlled Burn

coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
edited April 30, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
Every spring Central Mat-Su Fire Department does a bit of controlled burning for a local farm for training, fun, and help for the farm. I'm training to operate our apparatus, so I was stuck to my truck, which gave me plenty of time to shoot photos instead of working, but left me with limited mobility. :D I managed to get a few shots though, hope you enjoy!

Bowzr lays down some fire on our first strip.
524343437_qYDjk-L.jpg

Crews didn't have much difficulty keeping things under control in the light grass and medium humidity.
524344441_h4keb-L.jpg

Capt. Muth has been with the department for quite a while now. He was the holding division supervisor for this burn.
524345990_xnpvr-L.jpg

Jamie cools down a hotspot in the black.
524346457_p3RuA-L.jpg

Station 51 in the background protects the local hospital and the surrounding area, which is a bit less populated than the rest of town.
524347888_sLTQm-L.jpg

Frank lays down a line of fire as evening progresses.
524348835_R7PYJ-L.jpg

Matt pauses for a bit of a look at his handiwork.
524351920_n2QsA-L.jpg

Hotspots both big and small often create little whirlwinds that drift around the fire. When big flames are involved, these can turn into raging tornadoes of fire that can walk right across a fireline like it's not there, and keep on burning. Check out "firewhirl" on youtube for some cool video.
524352304_kooJr-L.jpg

And to wrap things up, we watered down the edges and let things burn out. This is one of our two brand new fire engines, just put into service.
524353776_6MFrA-L.jpg

Hope you enjoyed the fire! :D
John Borland
www.morffed.com