I have friend who shoots canon..I shoot nikon... I need some lens advice

QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
edited May 9, 2009 in Cameras
he wants full frame lens (has a XT now but wnats to be able to shoot full frame in the future). What I need s break down in these 3 categories:

1) wide angle
2) standard
3) telephoto

What I mean by break down is... what are considered the "top-o-the-line" in each categories and perhaps 1 or 2 cheaper but good alternatives?

Nikon has their holy trinity in these ranges for example.

Thanks
D700, D600
14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
85 and 50 1.4
45 PC and sb910 x2
http://www.danielkimphotography.com

Comments

• WolfOnDigitalWolfOnDigital Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2009
    Canon
    Qarik wrote:
    he wants full frame lens (has a XT now but wnats to be able to shoot full frame in the future). What I need s break down in these 3 categories:

1) wide angle
    2) standard
    3) telephoto

What I mean by break down is... what are considered the "top-o-the-line" in each categories and perhaps 1 or 2 cheaper but good alternatives?

Nikon has their holy trinity in this range.

Thanks

If you are asking what three lenses are the cream of the crop for Canon?

wide angle = 16-35 Canon
    Standard = 24-70 2.8 L
    Telephoto = 70-200 2.8 L

When you look at the pros who sue Canon and ask them what three lenses they have in their arsenal, these are the 3 that come up a lot.

I love the 24-70 2.8L!!!

Can't wait to get the 70-200

Jeff
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2009
    If you are asking what three lenses are the cream of the crop for Canon?

wide angle = 16-35 Canon
    Standard = 24-70 2.8 L
    Telephoto = 70-200 2.8 L

When you look at the pros who sue Canon and ask them what three lenses they have in their arsenal, these are the 3 that come up a lot.

I love the 24-70 2.8L!!!

Can't wait to get the 70-200

Jeff

thanks..what about "not-quite-top-o-the-line-but pretty-good" in those rnages? clap.gif
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2009
    Qarik, for FF anything with a red stripe will get him what he wants...

its a matter if he wants fast glass or not, IS or not, etc, etc,,,

whats his subjects under what conditions?

my suggestions if he wants zoom lenses

17mm- 40 F4 L
    24mm - 105 IS L
    100mm - 400 L
    Aaron Nelson
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2009
    wide angle = 16-35 Canon
    Standard = 24-70 2.8 L
    Telephoto = 70-200 2.8 L

Good choices.... I would also throw in the the 24-105mm f/4 of the 17mm-40mm f/4 in addition to the 24-70 f/2.8.
    Qarik wrote:
    thanks..what about "not-quite-top-o-the-line-but pretty-good" in those rnages? clap.gif
    Nothing really if you're going after FF. The are some good (great) lenses, but they're are EF-S.

You might be able to skimp on the tele by going with the 70-200 f/4, 70-200 f/4 IS or 70-200 f/2.8 (non IS).

edit: the 17-40 is f/4. i typed f/2.8.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited April 30, 2009
    Qarik wrote:

If he wants good and cheap, try this:

Wide: 17-40 F4 L. ($750)
    Mid: 50mm F1.4 ($350)
    Tele: 70-200 F4 L ($650)
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,081 moderator
    edited April 30, 2009
    Qarik wrote:

The Canon EF 17-40mm, f4L USM is a great lens if you don't need the f2.8 aperture. Neither the 16-35mm nor the 17-40mm is all that wide on a Canon crop 1.6x camera however.

Your friend really needs to consider a super-wide lens as well (even though they are "only" for the crop cameras):

Canon EF-S 10-22mm, f/3.5-4.5 USM
    Sigma 10-20mm, f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM
    Tokina 12-24mm, f/4 PRO DX
    Tokina AT-X 11-16mm, f2.8 PRO DX
    Tamron SP 11-18mm, f4.5-f5.6 Di-II LD Aspherical [IF]
    Tamron SP 10-24mm, f3.5-f4.5 Di-II LD Aspherical [IF]

These lenses are a ton-o-fun for the crop cameras.

A fairly good choice and alternate for the Canon 24-70mm lens is the EF 24-85mm, f3.5-f4.5 USM. It has its share of problems but I like mine and use it sometimes over the older EF 28-80mm, f2.8-f4L USM, which is also a great lens.

Sigma makes a 24-70mm, f2.8 EX DG that many people like.

At the longer end the EF 70-200mm, f4L USM is awfully nice and not too expensive, or the Tamron or Sigma 70-200mm, f2.8 lenses. The Sigma 70-200mm is faster to focus but the Tamron 70-200mm is supposed to be sharper.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2009
    Canon sells two lines of L-glass: the f/2.8 line (16-35/2.8L, 24-70/2.8L, and 70-200/2.8L) and the f/4 line (17-40/4L, 24-105/4L, 70-200/4L and 100-400/4-5.6L). They are all good lenses, but the f/4 glass is typically less expensive, smaller and lighter weight. Generally my recommendation is to only buy the f/2.8 version if you really need f/2.8.

If you want to go step down from the L series, the 28-135 IS and 70-300 IS are both good full frame lenses. Personally those are the only two Canon non-L zooms I would consider buying for a full frame body. Beyond that you should look at third party lenses.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2009
    Sigma is a great altenative and also is the largest of non oem glass manufacturers in the world.....on their website they distinquish (by a code) the difference between crop glass(DC) and FF glass (DG OR A NO CODE LENS)......amd the 4/3 - FOUR THIRDS is so designated as "for four thirds"
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2009
    Qarik wrote:
    What I need s (sic) break down in these 3 categories:

1) wide angle
    2) standard
    3) telephoto
    My choices have been generally as discussed in earlier posts (see below). I've been thoroughly satisfied with my lenses in these three categories, and I wouldn't change any of them. :D
    edited April 30, 2009
    Great Selection
    My choices have been generally as discussed in earlier posts (see below). I've been thoroughly satisfied with my lenses in these three categories, and I wouldn't change any of them. :D

Great gear. I agree! The only thing I would do differently would be an Epson Printer instead.
    But your lens choices are spot on. That is why for me it is worth it to buy great glass if you are doing more then a hobby with Photography.
    Great glass you buy once. Unlike camera bodies we buy every few years. lol
    It is up to the individual of course to determine how much his budget is and what Images he will shooting.
    I wouldn't trade my L glass or 2.8s for anything less. But that is me.
  • RezenRezen Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited May 1, 2009
    Many thanks...
    Hi all,

I'm Qarik's friend who is seeking advice.

I'm a noob photographer who is going to the Winter Olympics next February.

Both my wife and I are amateur photographers... she is more than happy to take on my Canon Digital Rebel XT when I upgrade.

Anyway, as you can imagine, now that the reality of the Olympics are setting in... I want to improve not only the body, but the glass as well.

So, with all that said... I'm looking to buy 2-3 lenses... primarily focusing on wideangle and/or action shots... with some opportunities for close-ups. Macro photography isn't essential at this stage of the game, although it would be nice. :D

My budget is around $5000 for both the body upgrade and 2-3 lenses. I have been eying the Canon EOS 5D Mark II, since it also records in HD, which would be sweet for the Olympics...

Anyway, I defer to the experts here, especially on recommendation of my good friend Qarik :D

Thanks for any advice!

-Todd
    The best camera in the world is the one you have with you.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2009
    Rezen wrote:
    Hi all,

Both my wife and I are amateur photographers... she is more than happy to take on my Canon Digital Rebel XT when I upgrade.

Anyway, as you can imagine, now that the reality of the Olympics are setting in... I want to improve not only the body, but the glass as well.

So, with all that said... I'm looking to buy 2-3 lenses... primarily focusing on wideangle and/or action shots... with some opportunities for close-ups. Macro photography isn't essential at this stage of the game, although it would be nice. :D

My budget is around $5000 for both the body upgrade and 2-3 lenses. I have been eying the Canon EOS 5D Mark II, since it also records in HD, which would be sweet for the Olympics...

Anyway, I defer to the experts here, especially on recommendation of my good friend Qarik :D

Thanks for any advice!

-Todd

WELCOME TO DRIN TODD aka REZEN!!!

Well as the slogan goes: .............shoots the world with Sigma Lenses.
    I would be getting a 70-200 f2.8, 24-70 or 20-40 (discontinued but can still be found for around $500) f2.8 .......... even tho this is a monster to hold with the 5DMKll the 50-500 or 150-500 both could be very valuable at the winter olympics...........if the 50/150-500 are out Sigma makes really nice teleconverters matched to the 70-200 for that extra reach...............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited May 1, 2009
    Rezen wrote:
    Hi all,

Thanks for any advice!

-Todd

Todd,

Sports/action photography requires (ideally) a rather extremely responsive and accurate autofocus (AF), both on the part of the camera body and the lens.

The Canon 1D/1Ds bodies have an AF section completely unlike the rest of the Canon line. It is both more accurate and more responsive than anything before. Specifically they use an "Area-SIR" technology (SIR=Secondary Image Registration) vs the more common linear SIR technology. The 1D/1Ds AF is also more sensitive, allowing it to work more accurately under low light situations.

The common professional Canon camera for an Olympic coverage would be the 1D MKII/MKIIN/MKIII. Of these the preferred cameras are the IIN and III models, largely because of their deeper shot buffers which are important during continuous shooting. (Otherwise the models II and IIN are identical in terms of AF, imager and processor sections.)

Don't be misled by pixel count. All the pixels in the world mean nothing if the shot is not focussed properly.

My recommendation to you would be the model 1D MKIIN simply because that allows more money for your lens purchases. The IIN is not avalable new but good used copies are around $2000. (KEH.com) The advantages of the 1D MKIII are probably not sufficient to warrant the extra money given your budget.

Couple this with an EF 70-200mm, f2.8L USM and the EF 24-70mm, f2.8L USM, and you have a great start to a very competent sports system. The IS version of the 70-200mm zoom is an option and you will have to decide if your budget allows. (Also the non-IS version is not weather sealed and non of these lenses is considered sealed until you add a front filter.)

An EF 1.4x II telextender would be a welcome addition for the outdoor events using the longer zoom.

I would also add an EF 50mm, f1.4 USM and an EF 135mm, f2L USM for the opening ceremony, indoors this time, and some of the competition events like ice hockey.

Add some flashes and modifiers for the indoor activities you are likely to encounter, not necessarily sports activities, and you are fairly set.

If you can get press credentials then a tripod would be a welcome addition. As a spectator I doubt if you would have permission to bring it or room to set it up.
    ziggy53
    edited May 1, 2009
    BTW, if you do go with the model 1D MKII or IIN you can get the Sports Illustrated recommendations for camera setup here:

http://www.siphoto.com/
    ziggy53
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2009
    Rezen wrote:
    Hi all,

wave.gifwavewave.gifwave

Welcome to dgrin! You'll get some great advice here and please post photos! For sports, especially indoor sports, fast glass is a must.

And a general question.... What's the camera policy at the Olympics? I have no clue.... I've been some pro event where dSLR are banned (many places), some where I can bring anything in (SF Giant games), dSLR lens restricted to six inches at fullest (Sharks game), dSLR lens below three inches in length (Warriors games).

Can you bring a 70-200 into the Olympics venue? You might want to do some research into the camera policy before buying all the gear.
    edited May 1, 2009
    aktse wrote:
    wave.gifwavewave.gifwave

Welcome to dgrin! You'll get some great advice here and please post photos! For sports, especially indoor sports, fast glass is a must.

And a general question.... What's the camera policy at the Olympics? I have no clue.... I've been some pro event where dSLR are banned (many places), some where I can bring anything in (SF Giant games), dSLR lens restricted to six inches at fullest (Sharks game), dSLR lens below three inches in length (Warriors games).

Can you bring a 70-200 into the Olympics venue? You might want to do some research into the camera policy before buying all the gear.

That's a very good point and it would appear that the situation has changed since I last researched (before Beijing):

http://en.beijing2008.cn/goodluckbj/others/n214314728.shtml

"... professional camera equipment will not be allowed into the Olympic Green."

... but later this:

http://beijing2008.popphoto.com/2008/08/slr-cameras-all.html

(... where dSLRs "were" allowed.)

I have yet to find anything official about the 2010 Winter Olympics but it looks like credentials may be the surest way to get the big stuff in to the events.
    ziggy53
  • crysjancrysjan Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited May 1, 2009
    I agree with Ziggy, I used to have the Canon EFS 10-22 when I still have my Canon 40D. It's a very good lens, even it's not an L lens. The 10-22 is 16-35mm on a 1.6x, I now use the Canon 5D Mark II so I sold my 10-22 since EFS doesn't work on FF cameras.

Does your friend really want the top of the line for his XT? The really expensive lens are really heavy. The only reason why I mentioned this because my sister got the Xti but when she bought a good lens she bought a 40D for the alloy magnesium body. She said that if feels like the Xti will break because it's plastic.

I have L lenses but only the f/4, because the 2.8 is too heavy for my tiny wrist. I would love to get it in the future but I am very happy on what I have at this time.

Canon 100mm macro
    Canon 70-200mm f/4
    Canon 24-105mm f/4
    Canon 17-40mm f/4
    Canon 85mm F1.8

I am just a hobbyist and I make money for photography but I don't make money from photography rolleyes1.gif
    ziggy53 wrote:
    The Canon EF 17-40mm, f4L USM is a great lens if you don't need the f2.8 aperture. Neither the 16-35mm nor the 17-40mm is all that wide on a Canon crop 1.6x camera however.

Your friend really needs to consider a super-wide lens as well (even though they are "only" for the crop cameras):

Canon EF-S 10-22mm, f/3.5-4.5 USM
    Sigma 10-20mm, f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM
    Tokina 12-24mm, f/4 PRO DX
    Tokina AT-X 11-16mm, f2.8 PRO DX
    Tamron SP 11-18mm, f4.5-f5.6 Di-II LD Aspherical [IF]
    Tamron SP 10-24mm, f3.5-f4.5 Di-II LD Aspherical [IF]

These lenses are a ton-o-fun for the crop cameras.

A fairly good choice and alternate for the Canon 24-70mm lens is the EF 24-85mm, f3.5-f4.5 USM. It has its share of problems but I like mine and use it sometimes over the older EF 28-80mm, f2.8-f4L USM, which is also a great lens.

Sigma makes a 24-70mm, f2.8 EX DG that many people like.

At the longer end the EF 70-200mm, f4L USM is awfully nice and not too expensive, or the Tamron or Sigma 70-200mm, f2.8 lenses. The Sigma 70-200mm is faster to focus but the Tamron 70-200mm is supposed to be sharper.
    edited May 1, 2009
    Listen to ziggy.
    Great lenses he suggests.
  • rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2009
    17-40mm F4 L

I just switched to Nikon and have this lens, it's a month old. Will sell it to you for $650 through paypal. Let me know if you're interested.

I also have a 70-200mm F2.8 L non IS as well :)
    edited May 2, 2009
    17-40mm F4 L

I just switched to Nikon and have this lens, it's a month old. Will sell it to you for $650 through paypal. Let me know if you're interested.

I also have a 70-200mm F2.8 L non IS as well :)

Please keep selling/buying within the Flea Market forum or through private messaging.

Thanks,
    ziggy53
  • rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2009
    Will do, I'm new here :)
  • catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2009
    Listen to ziggy.
    Great lenses he suggests.
    '

Ditto. Trust Ziggie on this one :)thumb.gif
    //Leah
    edited May 5, 2009
    Thanks for all of the suggestions!

Any good recommendations for online vendors/suppliers? Is BHPhotovideo the best?

Thanks again!

wings.gif
  • catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2009
    Rezen wrote:
    Thanks for all of the suggestions!

Any good recommendations for online vendors/suppliers? Is BHPhotovideo the best?

Thanks again!

wings.gif

Adorama.com is right up there with B&H.
    //Leah
    edited May 5, 2009
    Also,

Is there a resource on the web where I can see search images by lens type?

For example... if I wanted to see various sample images taken with a Canon EF 50mm f1.4 USM. Obviously there are tons of other variables which go into how images look - body used, lighting, photographer skill, etc... I'd just like to get a visual of what's possible with various lenses.

Thanks again :)

• michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    That's a very good point and it would appear that the situation has changed since I last researched (before Beijing):

http://en.beijing2008.cn/goodluckbj/others/n214314728.shtml

"... professional camera equipment will not be allowed into the Olympic Green."

... but later this:

http://beijing2008.popphoto.com/2008/08/slr-cameras-all.html

(... where dSLRs "were" allowed.)

I have yet to find anything official about the 2010 Winter Olympics but it looks like credentials may be the surest way to get the big stuff in to the events.

Thought I'd mention that I carried a Nikkor 70-200 2.8 into the Men's Table-Tennis finals in Beijing last year. I had an innocuous 16-85 (since sold) on the body going through security, but the biggie was in the bag over my shoulder, was x-ray'd and looked at. I'd checked closely with my hotel at the time if I'd be allowed. They made a few phone calls and the only restriction seemed to be no Monopod or Tripod for non-credentialed.

I should probably post a couple of shots from the event at some stage. I'm not normally an indoor sports photog, but there are some fun shots.
    edited May 9, 2009
    So, I made my first non-kit lens purchase.... Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM.

Estimated delivery date: 5/22. I'm really looking forward to it :D

Thanks again for all the advice and suggestions.

bowdown.gif