Narelle Autio emulation

CloudnineCloudnine Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
edited May 2, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
I have long admired Narelle Autio's series on Australian coastal life - I will never equal it - but can try to emulate it.

She now does more work in and around water, but her earlier stuff looked into how Aussies interact with their coastal environment. Very gentle but soul-searching photography.

I think the first image posted here shows the peaceful nature of the activity the fisherman is engaging in, so more fitting of the theme, but the second I believe is a stronger image.

Any thoughts...One, two or neither???

525487017_n983r-L.jpg

525484112_7vGmg-L.jpg

Comments

• anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2009
    I like #2. I like the action and drama in the photo. Not sure about the crop though. The upper portion of the sky is distracting to me.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2009
    Cloudnine wrote:

525484112_7vGmg-L.jpg

This one is great!! Maybe a little cropping like Cuban suggested would make it AWESOME!!

I would be interested to see how it would work if you cropped to get the fisherman in the lower right third... it would require a dramatic crop, but could greatly improve the comp if he wasn't so close to dead center.

Regardless, it's a great photo! clap.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2009
    CWSkopec wrote:
    This one is great!! Maybe a little cropping like Cuban suggested would make it AWESOME!!

I would be interested to see how it would work if you cropped to get the fisherman in the lower right third... it would require a dramatic crop, but could greatly improve the comp if he wasn't so close to dead center.

Regardless, it's a great photo! clap.gif

+1 on bringing the fisherman down a bit in the comp. But like CW said, great photo!
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2009
    Number 1
    I personally like the first one.. It is cropped tighter and fills the frame better. The composition is more successful in that it guides the viewers eye from sun, to silhouette to the boats and then exits nicely on the sky.. Plus it just has mood to it and you feel the time of day, like your there inside the photo..

Just my humble opinion.. thumb.gif

Kat
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2009
    I think the second one is much better
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2009
    I have to agree with those leaning towards #2 with a recrop. I like the action in it.
    — Kevin
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • CloudnineCloudnine Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited May 2, 2009
    KevXman wrote:
    I have to agree with those leaning towards #2 with a recrop. I like the action in it.
    — Kevin

Cool - thanks for all the suggestions guys - looks like ar resubmission is in order.

http://www.cloudninephotography.com.au/