Ok.......

D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
edited May 5, 2009 in People
Hey we go.... My 1st crack at portraits and the use of monolights.

1) A self port.

fullsize.jpg

2) A very close, special needs friend, wanting a 'good' shot to give his Mom and Grandmother, for Mothers Day gifts.... Also my inspiration for getting into port's.

fullsize.jpg

3) My fave. It's kinda moody and this fits him to a "T".

fullsize.jpg

This fella could only sit for 3 very fast shots due to his 'needs'. He and I look forward to doing it again though, hopefully soon.

So whaddya think???? Am I on the correct path???
As you noticed, I'm a biggun'! And I can take the heat. :D

Thanks for the help.

PS. no cracks about how the model *shoulda done* this or that.... He was doing all he could, and with what we got, already out classes any thing else done in his past 34 years. BRAVO :clap

Comments

• picturegirlpicturegirl Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2009
    I personally think the shots are great!! They are well lit and sharp in my opinion.
  • crockettcrockett Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2009
    In my opinion #3 is a complete homerun!

In my very limited experience with that situation (one time), I would make two suggestions.

On your next go around consider changing the T-shirt to a black collar shirt or if it's only T-shirts pick one w/o a print. Also, in my case the request was for at least one shot of the person laughing and smiling (a lot of times he would throw his head back). The family said that this is how they knew him to be happy and wanted a still photo that captured that. Just something to consider.

Great job.

On the self portrait, I like it. Maybe more centered and try turning your chin a tad towards camera left.
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2009
    BRAVO on all 3 counts...thumb.gif
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2009
    Look at the lighting in 1 & 3. Do you see any differenct? In 1 you are pretty evenly lit and that makes the face fatter and the ears pop out. In 3 you've got a ratio going on that is pleasing to the eye. Notice the somewhat darker side of the face. That creates a slimming (sp) effect that is desired. I like your exposures and color. Good job for just starting out with lights. Also bring in a light from 45degrees behind in to the back of him to create some separation from the background.
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2009
    Hackbone wrote:
    Look at the lighting in 1 & 3. Do you see any differenct? In 1 you are pretty evenly lit and that makes the face fatter and the ears pop out. In 3 you've got a ratio going on that is pleasing to the eye. Notice the somewhat darker side of the face. That creates a slimming (sp) effect that is desired. I like your exposures and color. Good job for just starting out with lights. Also bring in a light from 45degrees behind in to the back of him to create some separation from the background.

HB, your nit's mirror mine; exactly!

#1, I don't even rule as "good" work - I wouldn't show it to a paying client. It's really only here as an introduction of myself and was done in prep of my friends arival... A stepping stone if you will, as it was what made the small and fast shoot possible.

That and a light meter. :D

Also, right now I'm a two light operator. I'm in the process of making up some foamcore reflectors to free up one of my lights for highlights/seperation.

Damn! I hate budget restraints.... It's been a "heavy" month (sigh).

crocket;

This chap and I only casually talked about doing this - He wasn't prepared for 'putting up' at this particular time. He needs to eeeaze into situations to become comfortable; hence the reason why of no other photo's of him over the years. In fact, he HATES photographers because of all the negative experiences he's had. Perhaps next time we now can get ready a wee bit better and get him fresh out of a shower w/ combed hair, instead of @ 5pm, the end of his day..... Perhaps.

I at least was able to pursuade him into taking off his baseball cap...

Shot 3 captures his 'essence'. Even with ruffled feathers, I'm certain it'll be a BIG hit w/ his family. This IS him.

The model likes #2 (I knew he would). If we do get another session in and he still leans towards it, I'll frame it up and and hang it in my office. He'd like that.

FWIW, I've known this guy for well over 5 years, and on a daily basis. This is the 1st time ever he's permitted letting have someone shoot him. It was a huge step for this individual.

Again; BRAVO, to him.
    edited May 2, 2009
    OOPS.

Thanks for the responses, they're appreciated. One thing I noticed off the bat was how much I missed not being able to shoot in RAW (software/hardware issues). I now have that matter corrected and eagerly await the next opportunity.
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2009
    DB

On those foam core reflectors. They will work fine. Go to a camping store and try to find some boyscout type solar blankets. They are basically aluminum foil, gold on one side and silver on the other. Take the blanket and wrinkle it up and then glue or staple it silver side out to one side of the foam core and you've got a great reflector and use the second light as a kicker. Have your main light out front at a 45 degree angle a little more toward the front of the subject and you will get a nice wraparound effect.
    Then pop some light into the shadows with the foam core. Most people put the reflector toward the rear of the subject to catch the main light. WRONG!! Keep it in front of the subject them aimed at him. After you set it up go to the subject position and look for the light reflecting back to the subject. If you can't see it readjust it.

Some of my most rewarding sessions have been with severely handicapped seniors students. Your doing a great service for the family.
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2009
    I love #3, and I'm sure his family will. I grew up with a special needs little brother, and have worked with a few special needs kids as a teacher and a photographer. You're smart and considerate to ease him into the situation and not make too many demands. Maybe you can help change his perception of the photography experience. Even if he never gets comfortable with it, you've got a couple good shots of him already.

Caroline
    edited May 3, 2009
    Thanks again people... Now I have another ? for ya's.

I just got a couple of sample prints (shot 2&3) from the print-shop
    > Verrrry dark w/ NO seperation from the bg. The t-shirt is all black w/ no tonal shadows and his right shoulder is completely lost to the bg. Whereas I have a display showing some seperation around the top of the head. In my view, his R shoulder clearly stands out from the bg.

I *think* my callibration is good (just doubled checked). headscratch.gifheadscratch.gifheadscratch.gif

Are you guys seeing this too or did someone at kinko's hit a wrong button???

I get a better result off of my 10 year old HP Destjet........
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2009
    I see tonal separation on my monitor....so I am guessing Kinko's is doing something wrong in printing...........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited May 4, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    I see tonal separation on my monitor....so I am guessing Kinko's is doing something wrong in printing...........

Thanks, Art. You wouldn't believe all the BS that's been endured over the past few weeks, all to get around 'goofs'. Better theirs than mine.... rolleyes1.gif
  • RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2009
    #3 also a home run IMHO. It looks like you have some loop lighting achieved with the shadow casting in a small loop just below and to the right of the nose, nice posing position with the shoulders and an overall great portrait. I also see separation from the shirt and the bg.

I would say to try your self portrait again and try to achieve the same lighting as in #3.

Great job!
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP
    edited May 5, 2009
    RBrogen wrote:
    #3 also a home run IMHO. It looks like you have some loop lighting achieved with the shadow casting in a small loop just below and to the right of the nose, nice posing position with the shoulders and an overall great portrait.

I'm lost in the terminology of "loop lighting"... I had a sm softbox act as key, set high (trying to spill light on bg) about 4' away from the model, @ ~45'. The fill came from a shoot through umby from camera position, set head hight, about 8 feet away from subject. IIRC, I had a diff of 1 stop and the model was seated.
    I also see separation from the shirt and the bg.

I went back to the printer and after an hour of running samples, they couldn't figure it out... I fired them and went to another - All is golden now! Thank God.

I would say to try your self portrait again and try to achieve the same lighting as in #3.

That port isn't a sample of workmanship. It's just a demo of where things started as this was the very 1st time using mono's.... I should just take it down,,,,,, but I DO appreciate all the tips on how it could become better. For that reason I'll leave it and use it as a learning aid (read: BONUS).

Great job!

Thanks! :D
    edited May 5, 2009
    Also: It looks as if this fella wants another kick at the can. He's coming over late afternoon, tomorrow and will be wearing some better threads - We talked about a dress shirt that he has, in black, eliminating the hathead look and having a fresh shave we he arrives. I think I'll try a bg that's about the colour of the shirt I'm wearing (thoughts?).

I'll also set-up so I can light him from 45 on both lights, try a reflector and hit the bg w/ light.... If he's eager, I figure that I got 20 minutes worth of making it work - Gotta love challenges.
    edited May 5, 2009
    I love #3, and I'm sure his family will. I grew up with a special needs little brother,
    This can be a real 'tough' enviourment as kids grow up. The impact on the family unit is grossly underestimated by those not "in the loop".

Kudo's to you and remember... Never give up! clap.gif

and have worked with a few special needs kids as a teacher and a photographer. You're smart and considerate to ease him into the situation and not make too many demands. Maybe you can help change his perception of the photography experience. Even if he never gets comfortable with it, you've got a couple good shots of him already.

Caroline

I yak'd with him again this morning and he still seems to be on board. He was actually wanting to know if I got my reflector all built.... Go figure??

But a lot can change b'tween now and then; we'll see how it goes.