Lens recommendations?

kcuikcui Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
edited May 5, 2009 in Cameras
I relatively new to photography, and to start off I got a Sigma 18-125mm f/3.8-5.6 DC OS HSM to go with my EOS 30D

I was thinking of getting a 2nd lens to compliment it. I'm not sure about a fixed focal length lens because I really like the versatility of a zoom, and at the moment haven't found much need for something faster than f/4.

I was thinking of getting a decent macro lens, probably around 100mm or so, or maybe a zoom macro if I can afford it. Any recommendations on that?

I've been very satisfied with it thus far, but I'm also beginning to see limitations on my Sigma and might eventually want to upgrade a bit. I was reading around and rather than keep shelling out money on something I know I won't keep for a while, I was thinking of saving up for the Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM. It has gotten really good reviews and is pretty cheap as far as L series lenses go. At the moment I don't think I would need the IS version, and I cannot afford neither that nor the f/2.8 version of that lens.

Is there something cheaper than the f/4.0 USM that might compare with it? I'd might be willing to settle for something "less", since maybe the Canon would be overkill for my purposes... :rofl

http://kcui.smugmug.com

Thanks!
A work in progress...

http://kristophercui.com

Comments

• Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2009
    If you are looking for a telephoto zoom and macro, consider also the Tamron 70-200mm f2.8. While not a true macro, it's a very close focusing lens and has great optics and a faster aperture to boot.

All the 100mm ish macros are optically excellent, so I'd base the purchasing decision based on features for the price. Sigma has a 105mm f2.8, Tokina has a 100mm f2.8 macro, Tamron has a 90mm f2.8 macro. Of course Canon has a 100mm f2.8 macro too.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2009
    kcui wrote:
    I relatively new to photography, and to start off I got a Sigma 18-125mm f/3.8-5.6 DC OS HSM to go with my EOS 30D

I was thinking of getting a 2nd lens to compliment it. I'm not sure about a fixed focal length lens because I really like the versatility of a zoom, and at the moment haven't found much need for something faster than f/4.

I was thinking of getting a decent macro lens, probably around 100mm or so, or maybe a zoom macro if I can afford it. Any recommendations on that?

I've been very satisfied with it thus far, but I'm also beginning to see limitations on my Sigma and might eventually want to upgrade a bit. I was reading around and rather than keep shelling out money on something I know I won't keep for a while, I was thinking of saving up for the Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM. It has gotten really good reviews and is pretty cheap as far as L series lenses go. At the moment I don't think I would need the IS version, and I cannot afford neither that nor the f/2.8 version of that lens.

Is there something cheaper than the f/4.0 USM that might compare with it? I'd might be willing to settle for something "less", since maybe the Canon would be overkill for my purposes... rolleyes1.gif

http://kcui.smugmug.com

Thanks!

I am very partial to Sigma as I have been shooting with them for over 25 yrs......I would suggest a move to the Sigma 70-200 f2.8.....the one with the HSM (hyper sonic motor: super quiet) is usually under $800.......I find for a crop sensor that my 24-70f2.8 is a tad too long on the wide end.....so I may be switching to the 17-70 f2.8-4.5........the 70-200 is not a 1:1 macro but rather a 1:3......so your shooting close up just not true macro.....forthat I would recommend a 150 macro or 180 macro, but then I like to not be right upon my subject and with the working distances of the 150 / 180 you have room to wrk with lighting and so on if need be..........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• kcuikcui Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited May 2, 2009
    Thanks for the advice guys.

Is there anyone who might be able to comment on the Canon 70-200mm f/4.0 L USM? How would this compare to Sigma's 70-200 HSM that Art had mentioned?
    A work in progress...

http://kristophercui.com
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2009
    check photozone.de and slrgear to start you off they have an extensive list of lenses tested.
    dpreview.com has good reviews but not as many lenses are tested.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,081 moderator
    edited May 2, 2009
    kcui wrote:

Is there anyone who might be able to comment on the Canon 70-200mm f/4.0 L USM? How would this compare to Sigma's 70-200 HSM that Art had mentioned?

If you don't need the extra stop of light gathering ability in the Sigma 70-200mm, f2.8 HSM, the Canon EF 70-200mm, f4L USM is a superior zoom in most respects. Focus speed, focus accuracy and sharpness wide open are particularly good on the Canon f4L.

The Sigma is not far behind the Canon in image quality when it is used at f4, but used wide open it is demonstrably softer. It is still usable if you apply USM in post processing.

The Canon EF 70-200mm, f4L USM is one of those rare "bargains" in the Canon "L" series (along with the EF 17-40mm, f4L USM) and is an excellent outdoor zoom. It is also much lighter than the Sigma.

A very nice review of the lenses is at:

http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/195-canon-ef-70-200mm-f4-usm-l-test-report--review
    http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/324-sigma-af-70-200mm-f28-ex-apo-hsm-dg-lab-test-report--review

The Sigma lens used for the review has since been replaced by a "Macro" version with slighly better resolution figures and better close focus capabilities (but not a true macro lens.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • WayzataWayzata Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited May 5, 2009
    kcui wrote:

canon's 70-200 f4.0 this is an excellent lens and gets rave reviews. sharp wide open, great color and contrast. if you do not need f2.8 this is the lens to get in this focal range.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,081 moderator
    edited May 5, 2009
    Wayzata wrote:
    canon's 70-200 f4.0 this is an excellent lens and gets rave reviews. sharp wide open, great color and contrast. if you do not need f2.8 this is the lens to get in this focal range.

Wayzata, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

Thanks for your comments .
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums