Options

Danger:ginger, comments?

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited June 7, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
24276255-L.jpg

Magnolia Gardens
Charleston, South Carolina

6/6/2005
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• Options
    MongrelMongrel Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2005
    hmmm...
    Not sure I sense any danger there, are they attack egrets? :D Or maybe I'm missing an aspect of the shot?

Please don't be offended by that, I'm just sharing my thoughts. Maybe a shot of an egret attacking a fish, or another egret? I know those type of shots don't just *pop up*, but that would be more fitting for a 'dangerous' shot using a bird. Unless you could find a small child in the area and cover them with fish oil and tell them to go play in the swamp :uhoh rolleyes1.gif

Great pic otherwise though. I do think that that is the nastiest 'wing-pit' (that's armpit in bird talk), I have ever seen.

Take care,

Mongrel
    If every keystroke was a shutter press I'd be a pro by now...
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2005
    Babies about to fall out of the nest?
    Mongrel wrote:
    Not sure I sense any danger there, are they attack egrets? Or maybe I'm missing an aspect of the shot?

Please don't be offended by that, I'm just sharing my thoughts. Maybe a shot of an egret attacking a fish, or another egret? I know those type of shots don't just *pop up*, but that would be more fitting for a 'dangerous' shot using a bird. Unless you could find a small child in the area and cover them with fish oil and tell them to go play in the swamp :uhoh

Great pic otherwise though. I do think that that is the nastiest 'wing-pit' (that's armpit in bird talk), I have ever seen.

Take care,

Mongrel

I believe these are two "chicks" and are not capable of flying yet.
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2005
    Dee wrote:
    I believe these are two "chicks" and are not capable of flying yet.
    I found it quite amusing that we were concerned here with danger to all except the birds.

I am laughing. Well, it is a good shot, they were good subjects, but I understand. Dee is a birder, too.

Thanks, Dee.

I was actually looking for more, like an aligator underneath, then when they fell they might actually damage the aligator.:lol4

I have found myself having strange thoughts with this challenge. Saw rain clouds the other day, got drenched, but I was actually hoping for a twister to form. After seeing the photos of damages caused by a series of tornados, I woke up and thought that was really a wrong, not wise, thing to wish for.

I am now hoping for shark attacks, jelly fish on the beach, in the water. Major sea storms. Etc.

The weather is gorgeous. With 50% chance of rain yesterday, we got zip, no cloud to even make a sunset. The beach appears safe. No birds actually fell, pretty generally an unpleasant, unproductive, day. :):

And that is how it is here in the Charleston area. I am also looking for very dangerous work on the New bridge. Not seeing any. No one has fallen lately, either. Came home after dark, the night work appears finished.

Where is disaster, to others, when you are looking for it? (I, however, almost died of dehydration and heat stroke. Note new avatar and warning in sig.)

gingerrolleyes1.gif

Maybe I could get a human baby and put it in one of those nests......:D
  • Options
    MongrelMongrel Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2005
    I did see that they were chicks, I guess I don't worry about them falling though. Not that they couldn't but, that they would probably be 'ok' if they did. Unless of course an alligator was underneath them that would be a drag :D

Ginger, I think I missed a few ':D 's in my first post. After I re-read it, it seemed to come across a bit *cold*, and that was definately NOT my intention.

Again, it's a great shot, I just didn't sense any danger from it.

take care...
    If every keystroke was a shutter press I'd be a pro by now...
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2005
    Mongrel wrote:
    I did see that they were chicks, I guess I don't worry about them falling though. Not that they couldn't but, that they would probably be 'ok' if they did. Unless of course an alligator was underneath them that would be a drag :D

Ginger, I think I missed a few ':D 's in my first post. After I re-read it, it seemed to come across a bit *cold*, and that was definately NOT my intention.

Again, it's a great shot, I just didn't sense any danger from it.

take care...
    That is OK, Mongrel, I am not invested in that shot for this challenge, anyway. I do think someone is going to come out with something that most can agree is scary.

Maybe the vertigo thing, though i do know those who have no fear of heights.
    Me, I am afraid of a lot of things. I thought about showing a bathtup (you know how more people supposedly die there than .....other places), but don't feel like cleaning mine, and I would want to show a proper old fashioned tub, etc. But that would be a joke entry. No real fear there. No fear when we get in our cars, not even if it is a holiday weekend, or after dark when the statistics for alcohol related crashes go up. I even talk on my cell phone in the car. A photo of any of those is not going to win this thing, not a straight shot anyway.

Also, I am terrified of Homeland security, some people, many people are not. And, on the other hand, lots of people are terrified of terrorists (interesting semantics there), but I don't know any of those people, not that I know of. It is the after the facts, the event, that shows the danger, not the danger itself.

I am still laughing, though, because if the baby bird were to fall, because it can't fly. Well, it can't swim either...............nor is it going to be OK after a hard fall, even if it were not over water.

Also, my daughter's husband rescued a baby robin a week or so ago. I told them what I had read: don't do that! They were happily feeding the thing in a cage. It died.

I guess if I see a disaster I will photograph it, if I feel like it I will try to find obvious impending disaster. It will actually be pretty safe, what I photograph, it is what we don't photograph that is sooo dangerous. Don't you think? I do have photos of birds attacking other birds, even took a few yesterday. Both birds, the whole action would not fit in my one lens. In a photography sense it is not interesting at all, not just seeing part of a wing in the corner of a photograph, might post one for giggles, no sign of any but the most perfect weather, unless one does not like humid heat, but that is difficult to show.

Even my avatar does not show how I felt at the time; without water for two hours or more, stalking birds in hot humid weather, without water.

ginger (I am just having fun with this, not upset, would let you know if I were.)
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited June 7, 2005
    Hey G - (love the new avatar. my what big glass you have :D )

I've viewed this post 3 times and honestly... I don't see the "danger" element. Yes, I understand the possibilities of the birds falling, or alligators, or, or, or... but IMHO the "sense of danger" should be more evident and not implied so abstractly. (no offense)
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2005
    Angelo, thank you for giving this dilemma just attention. I appreciate even the third look. I think the word we are looking for here just might be "more universally" recognizable danger.

I do have some more for pondering. Now, one must think "off the map" so to speak, outside of the box in which we live. These are not us, these are birds.

This baby heron, here, ugly little thing, now he sees danger, I can tell by the expression on the little guy's face. He leads, his sibling behind, he faces the danger above:

24318286-M.jpg

Uh, parent wisely says, "children, we must hide from this aweful thing". I have looked up the word, can't find it, but in some places, I think this form of hiding might have to do with a burkha, or something like that. Or, when I was a child, it was kind of like "getting under the covers". Some animals think that if they don't move a muscle, we will not see them.

Whatever, a heron only looks like this when in deep hiding: kind of like the witness protection program I have read about.

So, "Children Hide, Danger Lurks":

24318299-L.jpg

They are safe, the lesson is learned. However, with children there is always one to try your patience:

"Daddy, why are we doing this again?"

"Yeah right kid, and when you are carried off by that big Eagle in the sky, don't say I didn't try to teach you to be safe, I am not coming out, no fool am I!"

24318305-M.jpg

(we all, person to person, culture to culture, we all have our dangers, the thing to remember is they are not all the same, not for all of us. And our means of proctection can differ, too.)

ginger (the 65 yr old thirsty, sleep drived bird lady.)
  • Options
    SallySally Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited June 7, 2005
    Birds in burqahs
    Funny, when you think of them as in burkas...! That looks a little more like "danger". Also the "ugly" little baby looks more like danger. Of course, the original shot of the Terrible Two-Headed, Four-Legged mutant Egret should remind us all of the dangers of pollution....

Hey Ginger, I don't have an Italian dictionary but aren't you an egret papparazzA? And a fine one, I might add.

I really do get off on thinking of the herons as being in burkas. Best thought of the day.

Sally
  • Options
    SallySally Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited June 7, 2005
    color
    thumb.gif
    I could die of happy from the color here... Boy does it make the nest pop!
    You are still handholding, aren't you? JeeZUM.
    Sally
    ginger_55 wrote:
    24276255-L.jpg

Magnolia Gardens
    Charleston, South Carolina

6/6/2005