DSS#24 dilemma...

silversx80silversx80 Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
edited May 5, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
OK, I have one posted and submitted. I'm trying to emulate Guy Edwardes' style in the following picture.

It's a 7-shot panoramic.
web.jpg?ver=12406817490001

The dilemma is that I initially wanted to do an Ansel Adams (who doesn't?) His dogwood pic (here) has stood out to me for a while. I didn't want to do dogwoods, but something similar. After my trip to the botanical gardens yesterday, I took these two...

web.jpg?ver=12413272780001

web.jpg?ver=12413288210001

So now I'm torn. Should I stick with the original, or use one of the new shots?

Any input is appreciated.
- Joe
http://silversx80.smugmug.com/
Olympus E-M5, 12-50mm, 45mm f/1.8
Some legacy OM lenses and an OM-10

Comments

• FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2009
    Lovely dogwood photos.

For the challenge, though, I would stick with your entry. It is stunning.

Virginia

Email
  • KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2009
    OH MY Decisions Decisions
    Well you went an made it hard on yourself here with such great shots didn't you?headscratch.gifscratchheadscratch.gif

I don't know.... I like your original submission.. but then you go and emulate my favorite shot of Ansel Adams..I love the dogwood shot.. and you did an excellent job here emulating.. the composition in #2 is very similar to his dogwoods and you pulled off that sharp gorgeous white..

i am going to go out on a limb here and say number 2 is gorgeous!!!

the dogwoods are super too..... but there is something in the upper right in the background that looks out of place..

so number 2, is the winner in my opinion,,, but man.... your original is awesome too... my suggestion,,, weigh it with what is already in the gallery,, if there have been a lot of landscape-lake or river type shots then go for number (2) adams.... if there are not a lot of these types of shots then stick to your original.. and then go with gut instinct..

You did an awesome job emulating him... congrats on that..clap.gif

hope i helped some; I can see why your torn... either way, even if you stick with the original submission your time is not wasted, these are very worthy of your portfolio.

Kat
  • silversx80silversx80 Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2009
    Thanks for the input, it is much appreciated. I think I will stay with the original. I've been looking at #2 and realized that there are a few points I missed with Ansel Adams' dogwood shot. The biggest one is that every flower in his shot is wholly in frame. Well, I guess we'll see how my original does.
    - Joe
    edited May 4, 2009
    Yw
    I hope your entry does well... now begins the waiting, best of luck to you!rolleyes1.gif

Kat
  • silversx80silversx80 Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2009
    I hope your entry does well... now begins the waiting, best of luck to you!rolleyes1.gif

Kat

Thanks for the encouragement, Kat. Too bad I didn't make it this round, but with so many awesome entries I don't feel bad.

I see you made it into the final 13 clap.gif(I can't say that I'm surpirsed. It's a outstanding and unique photo). Good Luck!
    - Joe
    edited May 5, 2009
    Thanks Silver
    Thanks... This round was super tough.. I am surprised I made it. I have so much fun with these contests, I think I am addicted...rolleyes1.gifmake the cut or not,,, I think I will always enjoy these.. I am learning so much... This will be my very first Mega Challenge these next two weeks... I am so nervous.. I have no idea what I am going to shoot for it.... I can tell already the judges want to be knocked out of their chairs with "energy popping out at them"... This is going to take some thought.. and then there is always that awesome idea, but then I may not have the technical skill to pull off in the camera.. I am definitely going to have to post for C and C earlier this time.:ivar

Kat