Options

Movies

SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
edited May 4, 2009 in Finishing School
If this is not the right place for this thread, please feel free to move it.

I just received my new 5D II, and while video is not real high on my priority list, I do want to give it a test ride.

Can Bridge CS4 display a video? If not is there a free, or cheep program that will let me just play the HD video on my computer?

Sam

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2009
    It did not come with software to play the video???
    That is just not right!!!
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited May 3, 2009
    Bridge can play a video. It puts a play button and timeline slider under the video in the picture view. However, that's probably not how you want to view them. Read on...

I've recently become aware of an excellent media player that plays the full-size HD .mov files straight out of the camera without requiring a super-duper computer and/or graphics card. The program is called VLC Media Player. I'm astonished at how well it works. For best performance, be sure to check the preference "Skip the loop filter for H.264" as described in this article here: http://www.theis.dk/blog/index.php/17/01/2009/5d-mark-ii-video-playback/ . There is also a link to download the player in that article as well.

Have fun!
    -joel
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2009
    Bridge sucks for playing videos.
    Play it in Quicktime....
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited May 3, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Bridge sucks for playing videos.
    Play it in Quicktime....

Quicktime wouldn't even come close to playing full HD size .mov files on my PC (dual-quadcore, 2.66 Ghz, 6GB RAM). VLC works great for me though. nod.gif
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2009
    Thanks for all your input...............I am a complete noob regarding video.................:D

I downloaded the VLC program, and followed all the steps, but I still can't play the 1920 X 1080 Version. I think my computer may be too old. :D It does however playback the lower (640 X 480 just fine).

Apple has a Mac Pro with my name on it...........but I need to wait 30 days or so. :D

Sam
  • Options
    aaronbrownaaronbrown Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    Quicktime wouldn't even come close to playing full HD size .mov files on my PC (dual-quadcore, 2.66 Ghz, 6GB RAM). VLC works great for me though. nod.gif

I definitely second VLC! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2009
    Update..................I uploaded a test movie file to my SmugMug site and while the upload time is pretty long it worked flawlessly.

What is interesting is that while the 5D II manual has info on how to record, there isn't any other info. All they tell you is push button.......now your recording........good luck with it. :D

Sam